Returnal review Thread

The Price point will have ZERO relevance to the score for 90% of these critics. They didn’t pay for it and they will just make a minor comment about the value. Even if its fun enjoyable 5 hour one and done game thats 70 bucks…they’ll score it 90 and not even consider price.

Truthfully, I’d prefer all critics did that but I think they do often take value into account. If a $60/$70 game is short-ish and maybe be a better value at $40, they don’t go back and change the review when prices go down.

Tell me what you like and don’t like about the game. Score it (if you must) based upon your overall experience and that alone.

I dont think price should be considered by a game reviewer. It should be based on the content provided and their enjoyment

I think people will make the judgement on whether its worth it for them to spend money.

1 Like

the majority was right haha, our judgement as a community is good.

2 Likes

The usual high ratings for a Sony game from the usual places.

4 Likes

Great scores and not surprising from a talented developer. If this is not a sucess despite having the AAA treatment, Housemarque will probably need to move away from the bullet hell genre, so hopefully it is for their sake.

1 Like

Game was gonna review well because Housemarque doesn’t seem to make bad games + you add the Sony style graphics and factor in the new underdog story after the Days Gone mess and boom.

I wonder if it will stay in the high 80s?

Probably not, it will probably settle in the mid 80s as more reviews come in.

I know where the notion comes from but i do watch reviewers like Skill Up and ACG who recommend this game

Grubb gave it a 6 supposedly.

This game is a great example for a great fit for subscription services. I wouldn’t want to spent $69,99 on this since roguelikes are not for me usually, but I think the arcade like third person shooter style looks fun. In a service like Game Pass I would definitely try this game. But at full price I would have to pass on this.

1 Like

I am not too surprised because despite it being AAA and well made, it is still quite a niche game, which is why I am not ultimately expecting massive numbers for it in terms of sales, especially with Resident Evil around the corner.

1 Like

Just watched the IGN review, and this is where im at

*Congrats to housemarque No doubt this is a good game, the effects are stunning and the gameplay looks solid.

Its nice that it keeps fresh with new weapons and enemies.

The story seems pretty weak, voice recordings and the odd house sequence are pretty disappointing when so much more could be done with it.

Like previous housemarque games, I look at them and think “thats cool” but I never buy them and play them a few times when its on PS+. I wont be buying returnal any time soon, its just not a game I must play, however if its on PS+ I will try + complete it.

Its a bit like the doom games for me, I want to play them but when I do I get kind of bored. I like a good story.

1 Like

I think when the price will be lowered, it will pick up a bit. They should have tried to make a PC version too.

I continue to look at the game and say “I wish this was in Game Pass” lol. If I had a PS5, I would also buy Resident Evil and buy Retunal once it is on sale and it is Summer when the release schedule is looking sparse.

2 Likes

It would have been a perfect game for Game Pass for sure.

3 Likes

I know its becoming a meme at this point, but returnal really would be perfect for game pass or another sub service.

The reviews are reinforcing for me that I would absolutely hate this. Dying and having to start the game over is the opposite of fun for me. But it sounds like this game is a going to be a pretty great experience for those who are into roguelikes.

1 Like