Resident Evil Village OT

Completed the Castle part just now, really dig the atmosphere, nice stuff for sure. And by putting the acceleration settings to none the aiming is tons better.

I am also glad that unlike the two remakes this does have great HDR where black levels are…black, not these weird raised black levels. Curious enough, raised black levels do appear when running the game with HDR off.

Also it’s just a weird decision that they put a timer on this. Let me just explore these two parts at my own pace, the demo parts both end at a certain part anyway so why? I know the remakes demos were the same, stupid there too.

1 Like

Wow just played the demo, can’t wait till the 6th!

1 Like

Not that impressed visually. It looks good, but not that much better than RE7 to be honest.

VRR engages for every frame in the supported range (and if the TV supports low frame compensation that basically extends to half of the bottom range so anything in 20-120 for most TVs)

I do think VRR is engaging for this it’s super smooth even with RT. There’s definitely something wrong with the camera though, looks like an uneven speed that can cause stuttering. I found camera control in general to be really off in this game.

That is true but if the TV supports low frame compensation it will do the same trick it does for 30fps (display at 60 and show every frame twice), so if your TV supports LFC a 20fps game will engage a 40hz and it will display every frame twice. Which basically extends the range to 20-120.

Though even with VRR drastic framerate drops can be felt, so perhaps that’s what you are seeing.

I really should start with 7. I’ve had it for a year or two now, never played it because I had it in my mind it was just too scary. But I finished the demo of 8 find, no problems at all. Or am I right and is 7 definitely more scary/unsettling than 8 demo so far? :slight_smile:

Agreed about visuals, it looks good but I’m not blown away but the trailers already showed that, wasn’t surprised. As for uneven speed with camera, did you try setting the acceleration options to none? I noticed slight hiccups outside in the Village part of the demo, in that area soon after the old lady leaves.

RE is always like a trash movie but for me 7 goes a bit too far into that and it caused the opposite direction on me, I ended up bursting in laughter with how ridiculous it consistently got.

8 toned that down a bit but still has its moments where it fells so forced and the effect is gone (like the praying scene)

I tried later after reading this thread. What a difference does it make. No idea why Capcom turned that shit on by default.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s good B-movie tier at best. It has its charm, but seeing someone falling in the flames and disappear right there was bizarre and too cliché to say the least. The game want to be a First person cinematic experience (sorry), but it’s not something I want to see repeated in other games. And it’s exactly because no game try to do this, that it works for RE I think.

Yeah I saw a bit about a chopped off arm or hand in 7, and then later it back was, wtf! Kinda wish they’d go back to being “serious” and not that almost goofy stuff.

1 Like

The Resident Evil series was never serious though, it was always b-movie horror stuff that didn’t take itself too seriously. Being campy is part of the fun/charm and as a big fan of the horror genre (and b-movies) in general I really appreciate that RE hasn’t turned into TLOU (thank god!). :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I’ll give it a shot but I really should finish 7 as well, just can’t seem to bring myself to do it.

7 was meh. Started off well but tailed off.

1 Like

Watched the DF breakdown of the demo and I will be playing with Ray Tracing OFF. It’s minimal and doesn’t really add much so I rather keep the consistent and stable 60FPS at Native 4K with HDR and sacrifice the Ray Tracing.

Same here. I do not have VRR, so I would prefer a more stable 60fps than ray tracing, which does not seem that dramatic to me.

1 Like

I tried it last night on SX. Noticeable stutter at times with RT on, but with it off it ran perfectly. I thought it had wonderful atmosphere and a nice use of HDR, but not too sure on the combat gameplay. I’ll be honest I liked it more than I expected as I’m not the worlds biggest fan of RE.

1 Like

For people talking about input lag - make sure you’ve already turned off camera and aim acceleration in options. The game was unplayable for me on controller until I did that.

4 Likes

Not surprised tbh. It’s the only one I never finished lol.

Anyone know if you can change time zones to unlock the game early?

Not sure if this is where I should ask this since there isn’t an official thread on the game yet. For starters the game looks amazing, I’m contemplating if I should buy it or not.

The thing keeping me on the sideline is ammo scarcity. I know it’s meant to be a horror game, but I dread games where you run out of ammo all the time. Seeing reviews say this one leans a bit more action heavy then 7, will I constantly be out of ammo or is this more of use ammo wisely but you should be fine?

I won’t get a chance to boot it up until tonight, but has anyone heard whether they have patched the alleged wonky aiming on Xbox yet? I saw a clip somewhere and it looked like the reticle lagged behind the aim of the gun on XB but not on PS.

Try disabling aim assist, put camera and aim acceleration in strong or off (I prefer strong though both are much better than the default setting) and change the move and aim sensitivity to your own liking, those changes made a hell of a difference for me.

2 Likes