Resident Evil Village OT

Yeah I noticed it too. But doesn’t VRR only work if the framerate is unlocked? Like in KH3 for example?

Is this Jez Corden, by the way? :slight_smile:

I played the two parts of the demo. I enjoyed it. The game is beautiful. The only things that are distracting are the artifacts on the tree branches in the distance and some objects popping in and out. But for a game running at 4K 60FPS, that’s impressive. It seems like there is parity with PS5, so it may be using checkerboard too. I didn’t notice any drop even on RT (I have VRR so that’s probably normal).

I finished the village demo but couldn’t finish the castle part (I stopped in the cellars). I was amazed by the atmosphere and lighting. This game is gorgeous. The stairs, the marble, the fireplaces, it’s exactly how you want the remake of RE1 or RE4 to look like. The game seems to be taking a lot from the old-school RE, with a lot of things to discover and doors to open, so that’s a good thing I think.

I had to tinker with the sensitivity settings. I never found the right settings as it always felt too floaty. I’m not sure what’s going on here. I thought it was intentional from a gameplay perspective, but maybe it’s botched as others have pointed out.

Story looks interresting. I’m really digging the atmosphere and the mystery, so I might be there day one.

1 Like

Maybe a weird question, haha. But can you tell me where I am supposed to see raytracing effects? I’ve only played the village part so far, so maybe there just aren’t any spots here with raytracing.

I only got 30 minutes left in the demo, I’m keeping that for the second part and I wait until it’s dark outside, it’s just too bright in my living room, takes away from the horror aspect too. Kinda wish I could just replay the demo over and over, I mean why not? It’s not like you’re playing the full game. Bit of an odd decision.

1 Like

I honestly can’t tell the difference between raytracing on or off. Also imagequality and performance look identical. So for me at least it doesn’t even matter which mode I would play.

I watch the DF videos, so I’m cheating a little. For me, I prefer the lighting with RT. There’s more depth to the light sources in general. RT reflections are seen on some surfaces, like in the kitchen at the end of the first demo for example. Shadows are also traced under seats in the castle I think. That’s really minor, but that’s the stuff I’m looking at sometimes (:laughing:). But really, it’s the overall lighting I prefer with RT, but it’s minor if you look at screenshots comparisons.

1 Like

I came to post the exact same thing. VRR is not working for me on this game. I have an LG CX and I always test VRR with Planet Coaster, which seems to work around 45~50 and VRR is engaged in there.

Which means that it should be working in this case, as the game drops as low as 48~50 with RT enabled on Series X.

1 Like

Looks like the PS5 Version got a problem with elevated blacks. Also In this video you’ll see a weird light clipping on the guy coming out of the house which is not present on Xbox.

https://youtu.be/adBIBPY1uiI

1 Like

Yeah, it seems like bugs that will be fixed, but the colors being washed out I don’t think so. PS5 version looks bad in all the screens I saw. Maybe tinkering with the settings from your TV could help a bit but I’m not sure.

Game looks very nice when there’s no UI.

I feel like there is a lag between me moving the right stick and it actually moving. I tried messing with settings but doesn’t seem to help.

1 Like

There are some people that say it is working for them but I think this is because they may be slightly confused in that just because it shows VRR as active on your Panel info does not mean it’s actually activating. This demo is not dropping below the lower threshold on my set which is 48 and believe 40 on the CX. If I bring up my info it states that my Hz are locked at 59 when there are drops happening which means it’s not working. I have read repeatedly in the past and I believe Digital Foundry stated along time ago that VRR does not engage on Xbox unless the game is using VSync. If it’s using any type of adaptive Sync it apparently will not work. I am not entirely sure that this is still the case as I have had FreeSync work with games that also use adaptive Sync.

1 Like

I do follow him but can confirm that I am not Mr Corden :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also noticing the input lag, myself. It’s quite annoying. Performance is a bit spotty but mostly fine. Visuals are a bit of a mixed bag, and range from stunning to “wait, this is what they are going with?”.

I can deal with everything… but this input lag is driving me mad.

Hi Gavin. You can pretty much solve it by changing the camera movement acceleration and camera aiming acceleration to none in the settings. I believe the default values are “mid” for both settings.

1 Like

Sadly, setting it to low makes a new problem appear - diagonal aiming becomes an utter headache to do. Even then, there’s still a delay on flicking the stick and any actual movement.

Seems like it isn’t fully intentional by Capcom then. I noticed it isn’t only with aiming, it’s even when looking around. For a moment I though my Elite V2 was acting up.

I honestly haven’t noticed this. To me it felt like RE7, yeah it’s not call of duty but I thought it’s intentionally a little slower. So stupid you can only play the demo 60 min. otherwise I would test that more now.

Played through the demo earlier today and quite enjoyed it. Kept RT off and had no complaints. Looked fantastic.

As an aside, the preload for the full game is up. 30.21GB on my Series X.

2 Likes

Did Capcom deliberately butcher the series s version??? Why on earth isn’t there a 1080p option for series s tor un solid 60. Sony must have paid them

Not gonna bother with demo. It comes out in 5 days. Already pre ordered

Pre-ordered my Series X copy from GameStop a little while ago and im ready for Friday!!! Let’s go!!!

5 Likes

Didn’t like the Village demo, I’ll try the Castle one soon. Still interested in the game though, when they drop the price.