QuakeCon Schedule Detailed

They’ve literally had two Twitch/Xbox shows this year already, and had one last year in addition to the Indie Showcase in May. People may complain about content or the format, but saying they’re sitting on their laurels is verifiably false.

6 Likes

The last year may show was a one-off for console launch (this year there wasn’t a similar one) and please these Twitch shows imo are terrible (but I can understand the target audience, bleah), anyway I mean an actual show with 1st party and 3rd party games (like the may 2020 one, but each year in spring when Xbox usually doesn’t do it)

Hmmmm. I had seen much of the schedule before an didn’t recall noticing a id/Machine Games Quake segment. Does Machine Games actually have any background with Quake? I know there have been rumors that they shifted away from Wolfenstein 3 over to a Quake reboot, but did they do any previous Quake relate stuff?

Because if not, that certainly suggests something…

Honestly I don’t think we have ever seen so much news/games/info consistently driving the discourse like we have with Xbox this year. Since late February it has been weekly news with maybe a week or two gaps at most and it doesn’t appear to be slowing down. It’s incredible how much they are keeping gamers engaged. Can’t recall anything like it on any platform.

TGS is a thing too, though obviously expectations should be low for that (then again, it’s the perfect place to announce the Kojima deal since the aim there is to use him as centerpiece to attract more Japanese talent). Even still, if I were them, I’d have a X021 event focsuedd entirely on the 20th anniversary of Xbox (BC news, Halo, Forza, updates on Fable and Perfect Dark, Skyrim 10th anniversary edition if that exists, Mass Effect LE coming to Game Pass via EA Play Vault, maybe even announce Ubisoft+ partnership if that is even real). I wouldn’t want them to really show new stuff that isn’t already grounded in Xbox history.

I’d prefer they show new, fresh stuff at TGA’s (Hellblade gameplay especially).

5 Likes
It's an interesting discussion...(but not directly related to QuakeCon so I'm hiding details)

It’s an interesting discussion considering that Playground is doing their own little weekly deep dives into FH5, which are fantastic.

We’ve also had 2 dedicated ID@Xbox shows.

So a part of me wonders if Microsoft is following Bethesda’s lead in how there is a separation between the various products and teams and how they show off their wares.

One thing is for sure, you have far fewer disappointed viewers when they are not watching a bunch of stuff they’re disinterested in.

While MS could combine all of these game updates in an Inside Xbox episode, I like the idea of this separation.

With all these events spread out it also helps Xbox dominate the news cycle throughout the year.

All that said I really like the fact that MS is respecting what Bethesda does (who in fact respected what id Software has done) in regards to game marketing and community building and I hope QuakeCon remains that premiere id Software event where updates, new games, and surprises are announced.

5 Likes

Excited for the Quake segment. I remember the first time I played the original more than a decade ago. It was a Flash version through my laptop browser on Kongregate (anyone else remember that website?). It would be nice if they announce Xb1/Series versions of, at least, Quake & Quake 2 ala DOOM 1-3.

That’s why it would be very strange if it ends up not being shown this year. Because where will they reveal it next year before summer launch?

If we don’t see it at Quakecon/Gamescom, the only other shot is TGA and maaaaybe during spring 2022 if Xbox will host an event between TGA and E3.

Whats the most xbox have shown at TGA?

Cause rn its looking like that for Avowed and Redfall.

TGA has become a center pillar for Xbox marketing strategy, the XSX reveal, last year with Perfect Dark (and in general a bigger presence than the other competitors), Gears Tactics, etc…

I still think they’ll something significant during Geoff ONL at gamescom

1 Like

No I meant like how many actual reveals in 1 night I know xbox does reveals there.

Hellblade and the SX?

Aaahhh, this is last year:

7 different announcements (between games, collaborations and GP ads). Plus thr Ark 2 thing which is not mentioned here.

2 Likes

Exactly. It has been revealed, but we just have no idea wtf we’re working with yet. Time to show that badboy off. Or maybe at Geoff’s summer show? But I would be shocked if it doesn’t get shown this year.

Of course anything could be in the planning for them early next year, maybe a dedicated stream to give the game a big reveal of its own with no other games…but I don’t know. I really just want to see it. Honestly they really should have just shown it at E3. I hope next time that a “one more thing” cannot just be a cinematic, this doesn’t create excitement if you ask me.

this list was bigger than I remember lmao.

Just think xbox could do with 1 more show in Q1 but I guess TGA is there venue for that.

Geoff Summer Fest didn’t have meaningful Xbox content outside some indie because of Bethesda/Xbox showcase 2 days later, but with this “minor” Xbox Gamescom thing I expect something bigger for ONL.

1 Like

I personally don’t like Geoff K. , but yeah TGA feels bigger than E3 event.

Maybe, maybe not, my concern is that 6 full months without big shows is too much time for nowadays, when people want constant news.

I wouldn’t go as far and say I would be shocked, but I would be a little surprised if it is not shown again this year.

One thing to remember is that it doesn’t need to be saved for an event. As you say, they could do a dedicated stream or do a press event with media outlets playing it and then reporting on it.

Well, at least MS is doing smaler State of Plays with Forza these days. And also Halo flights which allows to create streams and youtube videos

These Forza and Halo things are situtational and dependant on games releases, they are not established and recurring events. For example we all know for a fact that in that timeframe we’ll have at leadt one N Direct and one SoP, like we all know Xbox will have an E3 presence and so on…if we could have a “spring xbox showcase” I will be happy. XD

1 Like