Psychonauts 2 |OT| From the great minds at Double Fine

Two options in the controls I’m probably gonna enable that are off by default.

Use triple jump to glide and levitation ball pulldown from glide. Both sound ideal to me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just finished the 1st Psychonauts right now and going to play the sequel tomorrow.

Didn’t started yet cause I was right into the 1st one. It was really good but the camera and sometimes controls & delayed inputs were really really frustrating as hell in the last 3rd part. A shame there were no achievements :disappointed_relieved:

Besides that I enjoyed my journey a lot, really liked the story, the goofy characters, the ending and can’t wait to see the follow up of the story soon.

1 Like

Ok yeah, this game is pretty good.

Colourful, creative, engaging fun. Only a couple of negatives on first impression. The platforming feels a bit imprecise to me & I just don’t really dig the visual design of the characters. Apart from those small gripes, I enjoyed my first couple of hours :+1:

2 Likes

The platforming is spot on and precise enough, once you get used to the “press jump longer” thing you will nail the jumps just fine - this threw me out at first but after I got used to it the platforming feels really good and I have no problems at all.

Also beat the 1st boss which was quite fun! the whole game oozes style with those beautiful colors…the art direction of this game is insane. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I really think that this game is magical, definitely GOTY material for me so far at least. It does a great job of making you think about important real life things even in a video game with a cartoon world, and so far it exceeds my current GOTY It Takes Two in that regard which was a little more “by the book” in its emotional approach. The quality and subtlety of the writing is just incredible.

2 Likes

Amazing work from Double Fine, few times in these latest years I played a game so polished as pyschonauts 2. Everything looks great, gameplay smooth, fun and innovative. I have been playing it for a couple with a smile in the face, such a fun game. Loving the story and the characters as well. DF deserves all the praise!!

5 Likes

Before realising it, each time I saw the “DF” abreviation I thought it was Digital Foundry and was wtf are they talking about :rofl: am I high or what

Anyway, I’ll be starting my playthrough really soon to see how good it is based on all your impressions.

Ooh, that does sound good

1 Like

This game is just amazing and so much fun. So much better than R&C on the PS5

6 Likes

I didn’t feel like I could 100% trust the system in place. The ledge grab, for example, felt very off. I like to feel confident in a platformer, to know I can trust it to be consistent. I don’t just mean that as in, “Everything should be like Mario or it sucks” either :laughing: ReCore is a good example of what I mean. The platforming in that game felt sublime, to me, from the first minute. It was tight & responsive. I felt completely confident in taking on the ever increasing, crazy traversal challenges that game started throwing my way. I loved it to bits.

Hopefully you’re right though & it will just take a wee bit of time to get the feel, but it doesn’t actually seem like it’ll be a deal-breaker anyway. Challenging platforming doesn’t seem to be part of the game (yet) & there is always the option to use the toggle for no fall damage. I’m sure it’ll be fine.

The colourful, exaggerated design of the environments is wonderful. I’m just not a big fan of the character designs. They are all Tim Burton style, weirdly proportioned but still human shaped people, which I’ve always found visually unappealing. Again though, it’s not a big deal.

1 Like

ReCore’s last dungeon had some of the best 3D platforming that I have ever played, so freakin’ good. I’d love to see a sequel getting the budget and polish that such a good foundation deserves but I don’t see it happening sadly. Phil pls do the miracle… :gimme:

I love platformers (both 2D and 3D) so I am very happy that we got a game like Psychonauts 2 nowadays, Double Fine is a great team with a lot of talent and now with MS’s backing I am sure that we will continue to see amazing things from them.

5 Likes

Whats Up Reality Tv GIF by VH1

Never say never.

3 Likes

Recore another example of Xbox of old not fostering IP’s with potential. That and I believe Jules had mascot potential for xbox as a female character more so than Kait and Senua tbh.

2 Likes

Joule was a good lead character but she wasn’t the only one with mascot potential in the game.

What about those core-bots? Duncan, Mack, Seth, Violet, they all had unique charm & character, in my opinion.

The whole thing has such potential. Would be a real shame if we never got at least a sequel, with proper funding & development, to test the water.

2 Likes

There’s definitely a loss of detail when dropping to 4k. But 120fps feels just SO SO good. But 60fps should feel amazing too (provided you don’t try the 120fps mode and then switch back lol)

This so much :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Yeah I’ve been switching between the two, I definitely notice a smoother experience with 120 but I also notice the softer visuals. I have settled with 60.

1 Like
4 Likes

Same. Looks better in 4k 60 and feels great still. 120 is nice, but in this game I also notice the “fuzzines” and I can’t do that.

1 Like

Either way it’s great to have such a good looking even running at 120fps on console.

I truly hope that becomes the norm going forward (shorter console refreshes sounds like the perfect opportunity to have that across the board)

1 Like