PS5 Teardown video released

I posted this in the other thread, but I figure it would be more appropriate here.

-RDNA 2-based

I might be looking to deep into this, but the wording they used seems to be a tad sneaky.

I tried to see directly on Sony site (I checked both *.com and *.ca) to see if they are consistent with their wording, but they don’t even list the actual specs of the PS5. On the flip side the Microsoft site is pretty straight forward:

CPU. 8X Cores @ 3.8 GHz (3.66 GHz w/SMT) Custom Zen 2 CPU

GPU. 12 TFLOPS, 52 CUs @1.825 GHz Custom RDNA 2 GPU.

I’ve probably had to many coffees this morning… :v:t5: :woozy_face:

8 Likes

I mean, if the current engineering is anything to go by, I think you’re going to be waiting a while. I can’t get over that the damn thing is bigger than the man’s torso, and while I wasn’t planning on getting a PS5… probably at all, given my stance to vote with my wallet (before I get accused of anything, this is the guy with two Vitas, PSP, and literally every other PlayStation before the 5).

Most importantly, I think Xbox should take a victory lap here because it really shows just how amazing Microsoft’s hardware (and software) engineers really are to put such a more powerful machine in a more elegant, efficient package.

8 Likes

So many fucking people god mad at me on the other site for pointing out that the ps5 was obviously forced into its current size and shape due to heat issues.

And now we have a heat sync the size of a wii u.

And I fucking called it that the bulge on the disc model was because there literally was no place to physically fit the drive inside the machine because of cooling solutions eating up all the space.

holtvindication.gif

9 Likes

No, you’re not looking into it too deeply; my Japanese is rusty but he clearly did not use a modifier when talking about the Zen 2 CPU versus the RDNA 2 based GPU. I’ll give a translation of that snippet when I get out of my next meeting.

7 Likes

15 Likes

Neat! Can’t wait to watch this after work.

I would have prefered they sent the console to DF, so that we could have had more details.

4 Likes

Yes, there take would be more interesting and better done.

3 Likes

Xbox UK taking dig at vertical-horizontal setup of console

https://twitter.com/xboxuk/status/1313828699146457089?s=19

5 Likes

Thats the last thing sony wants right now lol. They want to control the information that gets out. Not to mention DF would be able to make direct comparisons to the series X since they did a teardown of it and have one in house

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/xboxuk/status/1313828699146457089?s=19

tenor (4)

10 Likes

I only paid half attention to the video on my phone at work, but this doesn’t seem to be the split motherboard cooling an alleged patent from Sony that was circulating. This looks like a more typical motherboard with (HUGE!) heat sink rather than pipes running over and through the boards for dissipation. Did I miss something?

Best part is how hurt all the sony fans are taking this. Saying things like “this isn’t even funny”, “this fell flat”, or “xbox is still hurt from the sharing games thing”.

4 Likes

but that’s the point isn’t it

it can fall flat without the unscrewing and clamping

4 Likes

I wish they had a SSD card and inserted it when they opened it up so I can visually see it. Is it gonna be touching the rest of the board or hover a little while plugged in? I seen a lot of talk about heating issues, will that be a problem with it isolated like that? I have more questions once again…

1 Like

I’m definitely not in a rush to get one, I got my Ps4 in 2019 and still have a big Ps4 backlog to play. The only game announced I really want to play so far is God of War Ragnarok, and I assume it’s a 2022 title. So we’ll see in 2022-23 if there’s a Ps5 slim announced/rumored.

1 Like

Geoff K. going goo goo eyes over a HEATSINK is peak pre console launch ridiculousness lol…JFC can these things just launch already…

10 Likes

Yeah those folks need help lol, they are so bitter and salty, doing there best to try and deflect and spin into a negetive for xbox, they do it in such a transparent way though that you cant help but laugh and feel slightly sorry for them, these people need help.

4 Likes

Can you pls tell me how to put a tweet link in the post so that the tweet itself shows up in the post?

Horrible console and design and BTW to the SONY Defence Force. The Japanese Dreamcast had a liquid cooling solution

6 Likes