PS5 Teardown video released

Its not even a nice heatsink, it like 3 little standard ones Frankensteind together.

7 Likes

I was thinking that myself, I just copy the link of the tweet using the share function on the Android twitter app and then I just paste it in here and it does it automatically.

Question about SSDā€¦

So we have to actually open up the PS5 to put more storage in there, or a bigger one. This brings me to one question.

What if we buy a external SSD and connect it to the PS5 via USB. Can we play next gen only games off of that USB SSD or is it like XSX where solely old games will play off from? If the latterā€¦

This is horrible on PS5s part.

1 Like

And a secondary heatsink for the VRMs The console has 7 total heatpipes 6 for the main ā€œtripleā€ heatsink and 1 for the secondary heatsink.

Itā€™s not beautiful, but Surface Area is geat

Please guys can we all agree on one thing after seeing the PS5 video?

Xbox Series X is truly state of the art design!

12 Likes

Yeah since their disinformation campaign began crumbling with the cross-gen releases (but we believe in generationsā€¦), Iā€™d say Sony is doing everything they can to control what info gets out to control the narrative. We still havenā€™t seen the bad news regarding BC that @Shpeshal_Nick mentioned after the last Sony showcase.

11 Likes

Yes its not a bad heatsink, but after Cerny hyping the cooling system up, its underwhelming, its literally just a standard heatsink.

9 Likes

I just do not understand how a console where you have to unscrew a stand, clip bits of plastic back into the main console, close the stand bracket, then clip the whole stand onto the bottom of the console is seen as anything other than absolutely ridiculous?

How is that anything other than a bonkers mess? If Xbox unveiled that it would never hear the end of it.

The internals look fine but I still cannot comprehend WHY the panels are needed. They look awful. What was wrong with a big black box that looks like a Sonos playbaseā€¦

14 Likes

Strange!

Didnā€™t work for me.

It looks like a GIANT school ring binder.

2 Likes

Iā€™m just not sure about this thing.

2 Likes

Iā€™m wondering why they didnā€™t give it to DF to start? I knew they would do it this way though.

3 Likes

Yeah, they are controlling everything this way.

5 Likes

Just to think they could have gone for a cheaper PS5 if they didnā€™t try to push the clocks and TF.

5 Likes

I wonder how much the cooling solution accounts for the BOM.

Even beyond that, there were also several revisions done on Oberon, which puts the price higher too.

Yeah, I watched @RandalThor19ā€™s video after Sony announced the cross-gen turn; with all of the examples of media crucifying Xbox for their transparent, friendly approach whilst applauding Sonyā€™s approach only to find out they had been lied to, and barely creating a blip of the same anger levied against Microsoft. Iā€™ve been saying it for years, but there is no good-faith, data driven argument that implies anything other than the fact that gaming media is actively biased against Xbox.

Additionally, as a side note I feel like I have to remind people over and over, but weā€™re in a damn pandemic that has decimated economies (and cost over a million lives). As such, I greatly appreciate a corporation being transparent and not cutting off millions of gamers that would have been able to afford to jump into next-gen had it not been for COVID. I appreciate a corporation doing so months in advance instead of doing what Sony did by actively lying to millions for months to drum up hype for their bottom line, whilst simultaneously letting Microsoft take all the metaphorical shotgun blasts to the face despite Sony doing literally the same thing. I honestly wonder how different the media reaction would be if Sony had been honest about cross-gen from the get goā€¦

11 Likes

Ok, I got my answer.

PS5 can NOT play PS5 games from a external SSD, only the older games just like Xbox. But this makes the PS5 in that regard ridiculous. A freaking game console, not a PC and you have to open it up? LMAO.

3 Likes

Source?

Iā€™m just learning about it all now but Push Square says this

"Yes, you will be able to use an existing USB External Drive for PS5 , however, you wonā€™t be able to directly play PS5 games from it. Instead, youā€™ll be able to store game data there but will need to move it back onto the main drive or a compatible NVMe SSD drive to play itā€¦ "

Best PS5 SSD 2024: Boost Your PS5 Storage Capacity | Push Square.

What I wonder though is, can they in the near future bring external NVMe SSDs that CAN play PS5 games? But if notā€¦smh man.

2 Likes