PS5 Teardown video released

Top notch engineering from Microsoft. They are easily one of the best tech designers on the planet… When Microsoft appointed an Engineer to lead the company, it was only a matter of time…

6 Likes

I know. But that’s the best we can do until November 12th.

Lets be fair here, the Xbox teardown was a model specifically designed for showing the build (it had magnets to snap the components in place). The real box will have cables and screws holding it together too. That said it is a much simpler and efficient design than the PS5.

2 Likes

This is so great for maintenance, especially for me bc I’ll wipe down/vaccum/cannes air blow the systems regularly, but are normal people gonna even know this is there behind the panels?

As others have said the cooling looks crazy; liquid Metal heat sink for the chip, a console sized heatsink, the metal cover and that intake fan.

I’m glad we finally got to see it all, I hope this pushes MS to show/allow testers to show more stuff!

2 Likes

Good post with lost of pictures:

Nice to finally see some official info. It seems like Sony are changing up the trophy system somewhat. I’d like to see some changes in achievements too!

Your first look at PS5’s internal components that will power the next generation of amazing games.

Masayasu ItoEVP, Hardware Engineering and Operation, Sony Interactive Entertainment

So that X-ray image was real…

It looks kind of cheap. Not the components and liquid metal thermal paste, but the overall build quality I mean.

In the XSX there is a whole piece of hard aluminum keeping the two boards in place and facilitating heat dissipation.

Here it seems like it is just large thin pieces of plastic laying on top of each other. And that heatsink is massive.

2 Likes

Yes you can see how MS engineers outsmarted them by huge margin.

But at least on a positive note, I’m happy to see them reveal the inside and do a teardown. Don’t be afraid of your product. Be proud. Even if your opponent did better. Just don’t hide and mislead, stay honest.

They should sent units to Digital Foundry and the other technical sites.

10 Likes

Quite surprising, not in a good way, looks similar to there design philosophy of there past, trying to make the cheapest thing possible.Also its surprisingly standard, it does not even have a vapour chamber.

Its like

Sony are NASA, using overly complicated ways in order to get to a solution.

Microsoft/xbox are like SpaceX using a first principles approach where they try and take to more obvious approach to solve problems, which results in a better product.

7 Likes

I can’t believe that they put a fan as large as that on top of an already large piece of harware. The tower form factor make sense now : it’s just better for cooling while taking less space.

Edit : I’m still not sure if Sony is proud of it. It’s like they are dumping info every other week. Not really great way to communicate. MS does that too, but at least they seem to have a plan.

Lots of defensiveness over on the Reset thread. Yikes.

I guess some people can’t take criticism of the design of toys that they, as yet, do not own.

Strange times.

6 Likes

No I didn’t say they are proud and I don’t think so but I recommend them to be proud when they make a product. Nuance lol.

You can see the guy doing the teardown stressed like he had a laser pointer on the head

1 Like

Not at all. Completely different. That X-Ray image was a Ps4 motherboard with the Xbox One X heatsink. It was just how the console could be.

1 Like

Agreed. Since Xbox One x and now Xbox Series X, MS and their teams are so dedicated and genuinely proud of what they build. As a consumer and enthusisast I’m sensitive to this stuff.

Sony PS4 was like that, really competitive and proud to show that they had the superior console. But since a couple years, they are so secretive and not proactive. And I’m not sure that is just due to covid anymore.

6 Likes

This thing is going to get dusty as hell, its nice there are holes to vacuum accumulated dust but lets be honest who is going to go to the hassle of removing the faceplates and vacuuming it?

I thought next gen is about convenience, I dont want to have to remove faceplates and vacuum holes on the console.

I clean my consoles with a quick wipe with a microfibre cloth once a month, i dont want to have to dissemble hardware to clean it…

5 Likes

Whats going on ever there?

Ok thanks. That cleared that up.

https://twitter.com/xboxuk/status/1313828699146457089?s=20

Hilarious. Apparently only XboxUK gets it. Other regional Xbox accounts seem to behave as if they are happy to sit quietly in a corner to not disturb the “big guys”.

7 Likes

So uh… I’m definitely waiting for the PS5 slim lol No idea where I would fit that thing.

1 Like