PS5 games can't be stored on external drives!

Wait until we see games made for PS5 before we call this definitive.

What does this mean? Ya can’t move just game saves over to cold storage either?! What about USB stick or something? Surely you can get the saves copied onto some external device without having to use the cloud, right?

Just watched the PS5 review on IGN and they said you can store games on an external HDD. Wish we had some solid info on this.

Supposedly, you can store PS4 games on external drives but not PS5 games.

1 Like

It’s times like this I really appreciate the openess and transparency of the Xbox team so far concerning hardware. PS5 is a mess.

9 Likes

The time stamp below says PS5 games can be stored on an external HDD. Hopefully that’s true.

DF and Geoff Keighley have already confirmed that you can’t store PS5 games on the external HDD

7 Likes

Well shit. That’s pretty horrible. Thanks for clarifying.

Maybe we should all just buy 2 or 3 PS5’s so we can keep a normal amount of games available.

1 Like

Yea IGN was wrong and they probably just assumed it would.

No Quick Resume. No expandable storage at launch. Cant use external HDDs as cold storage for PS5 games. You’re forced to subscribe to PSNow just for cloud storage. DF also confirmed the PS5 doesn’t support VRR. Seriously, WTF happened?

At this point the Series X|S are way more feature rich than the PS5. No doubt about it.

7 Likes

Bu-but WiFi 6!!!

3 Likes

When the consoles launched in 2013 we had similar if not exactly the same problems. The PS4 took a while to add external hard drive support, and the Xbox One was missing many basic features at launch.

MS chose not to do a complete refresh this time around and it meant not having that same problem again.

Sony wanted to keep the “feeling” of a new generation with a brand new UI, and this and other basic features, like not being able to back up saves to a usb, is the cost.

6 Likes

Where is IGN’s hot take on this, since they were wrong?

Oh, yeah, nowhere to be seen.

Entirely agree with both points.

1 Like

The fact is now also confirmed by Sony/Playstation themselves ( less than a week before launch ). If I had pre-ordered a PS5 (which I have not) I would feel misinformed by Sony. (not the only detail I would feel that way, same goes with ALLM and VRR)

2 Likes

Calm down, bro.

One more thing missing:

PS5 Doesn’t Have a Web Browser

Unlike both the PlayStation 4 and the PlayStation 3, the PlayStation 5 will not have a web browser. That’s despite our review unit including clear references to a web browser in its Settings menu – either the PlayStation Blog is mistaken about this, or the feature got pulled at the very last minute. Here’s what a massive PS5 FAQ published by Sony says: “No, the PS5 system doesn’t include a dedicated web browser app.”

Source: PS5 Doesn't Have a Web Browser | Push Square

It really is beyond hypocrisy at this point, and I would joke about Sony paying off the games media but… /slight s.

I haven’t seen many articles from any of the usual suspects that would have crucified Microsoft for this, and the few there are try to make it out to be a non-issue like you said. It’s ridiculous the standard that Xbox is held to.

Edit: One only need to look at all the doom and gloom clickbait regarding Microsoft’s cross-gen approach and the complete silence/lack of criticism when Sony announced they were doing the same after benefiting from months of lies and false messaging.

3 Likes

Precisely. At this point, the situation screams bias.

1 Like

Why? I’m more concerned on how 99% of my games which are 3rd party run not a couple exclusives.

1 Like