PS5 games can't be stored on external drives!

Its utterly preposterous that a modern expensive console is asking you to do it. I seriously thought the thread was a joke till I came in here.

And yes, I know we’re tired of saying it but if this was the other way…

6 Likes

This really, really, REALLY does not make any sense.

I think at this point I can happily wait for a PS5 Pro. So many strange decisions made with the current machine and knowing their biggest exclusives will be coming to PS4 makes it a lot easier.

Yeah this is hard to wrap my head around. They have something to let you pick and choose what parts (campaign, MP, etc) of the game to DL, right?

That’s an oof and a yikes rolled into one.

3 Likes

6 Likes

9 Likes

Yeah.

How many hot takes have been published by gaming media and Youtubers alike about this issue related to PS5?

ZERO.

And how many about the lack of support for the additional SSD on its internal slot with no date given for the support to be available?

Oh, yeah, nothing too.

2 Likes

WUT

Seriously, it seems like Sony is trying to swindle its users to subscribing to its services to offset losses. Thank God for Game Pass because MS doesn’t need to force customers to these petty tactics for such basic features.

Two observations:

1. I’m starting to understand why Sony only talks about controllers and sound.

2. The PS-Cult in media is more obvious now than ever. Had this been the other way around…

7 Likes

Ouch can’t imagine playing with that small ssd space. I bought 2 externall drives, (1 for BC games, 1 for XSX games), so I’ll have over 12TB to use :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just gotta say that I’m so glad I’ve stuck with Xbox throughout all these years, even if the start of Xbox One wasn’t too great, because man is Xbox beating their competitors in so many ways now. This is just crazy.

We can either move BC games to external HDD or SSD and it’s go time.

5 Likes

Really disappointing. I could have sworn they said you’ll be able to back up games before. Looks like their OS is coming in hot too. Hopefully they add the feature soon.

You might want to reconsider that second comment.

I think you can back up PS4 games but not PS5. I don’t get why they just didn’t do as MS did and allow for files to be stored on the drive but you have to transfer them to SSD to play.

3 Likes

Gees what a bunch of short sighted crap from the PS5. It certainly is coming in with alot of missing features. You cant expand storage right now or even house PS5 games on external drives. What a joke.

2 Likes

Yeah you’re right. I just listened to the road to the PS5 and they just mention putting PS4 games on external storage.

To be honest I wouldn’t use a HDD to store games but I understand why people who would will be disappointed by this.

1 Like

Yeah, it is a definite letdown, especially without SSD expansion at launch either. PS5 is probably not going to be my main system unless the DualSense really is the second coming some people seem to be hyping up as, so it’s not a big deal for me, but it’s still a definite drawback.

Well I would hope so… If you can’t store PS5 games on it, and you can’t store your saves on it, what else would an external drive even be for?

2 Likes

Lots of big oofs coming out for PS5 recently. This doesn’t make any sense. Surely they’ll add this feature later…or lock it behind PS+

5 Likes

Not a good look for PS5 just before it’s launch, but maybe tech outlets will at least explain these issues to people before they go and buy an ssd or hdd for the extra storage, though I don’t have a lot of hope that will be the case.

2 Likes