PS5 comes with PS4 pro hdmi cable - UPDATE: From IGN Italy

Yeah, you make too much sense. It’s just that it’s too one sided there, it’s not even funny.

In the end, it’s just a cable really. We know that the PS5 is going for a cost effective product. So you can see all the decisions they had to make to reduce the price of the whole package without impacting the design of the system itself : cheap plastic, basic white cardboard box, old HDMI cable, etc.

That’s just it. You can say it was the good call to keep the price at 499$, but it’s evident they had to cut corners.

Edit : wifi6 though, why ? :thinking:

1 Like

I wouldn’t really make a big deal about the cable. Not many games will need it and not many people will have a TV capable. I kinda feel like someone with the TV capable of using it isn’t going to care about having to buy a ~$15 cable. It’s kind of like the old composite pack in cables vs component cables.

Sony is definitely being cheap here though.

3 Likes

Didn’t sony do this thing before with the ps3 where it didn’t come with the hdmi cable because they said most people didn’t have 1080p tvs so to save money they only had composite cables. Seems like they are viewing this the same way where maybe like 5% have 2.1 hdmi tvs so now they can save a few bucks

Seems Sony confirmed it’s an HDMI 2.1 cable

I don’t speak German so I’m taking their word for it.

Edit: Word of warning, lot of people being extremely smug in that thread.

Yeah I saw that. Ah ah. We all fall in that trap of false reporting/errors. I mean, it seemed like a genuine concern when someone posted the photo of the cable which mentioned high speed, not ultra high speed…

2 Likes

Yup, it’s all too easy to buy into something you see online. I try to be skeptical in general because I know all too well how my biases can sweep me away. I’m staying skeptical of this too until I get a confirmation in a language I understand but it’s like 15% skepticism :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

So now we are being skeptism over skeptism. What time we are living in. Can’t be helped. Lol

Also, why is this thing again coming from a resetear thread? Can’t we have Sony’s support team put this mess to rest?

Edit: so it’s translation of some news website. Still awkward they verified it this way.

1 Like

Ha ha, it might seem like overkill but I’m trying to be vigilant about not falling for misinformation (in other areas mostly). I start with the assumption that whatever I’m reading is probably being manipulated to diminish my rights or to benefit corporations and go from there! That and the knowledge that I’m pre-disposed to believe things that enforce my existing positions makes for a loooot of skepticism. It’s a shame but it’s what I feel I have to do to stay objective and reasonable in a world where there’s a lot of incentive to mislead people :frowning:

And yeah, I would have linked the tweet but I couldn’t verify what it says in English so I figured it was best to link the thread where I saw it.

Tweet was deleted…it also doesn’t read like an actual confirmation from Sony in what got quoted.

@SpiderLink

Well there you go! You skeptism was right afterall

:laughing:

2 Likes

What a bad showing by Sony for a effing HDMI cable. What is so hard to release an official tweet with the information. I mean people will find out anyway.

SMH

1 Like

Yikes, thanks for the update. I guess this remains TBC…

:rofl:

Haha, Sony being transparent as usual!

Why doesn’t sony just say it’s a 2.1 cable? It’s better to just shut these things down as soon as possible.

Maybe they feel they don’t have to? A huge majority of people wouldn’t notice, and only crazies like us would pay attention to something like a cable before the launch. It stinks in my opinion, but when you’re the market leader you can do whatever you want, I guess.

Well, if it isn’t a 2.1 they won’t talk about it :wink:

2 Likes

Is there a big cost difference between a 2.0 and a 2.1 cable?

On a single cable no, but if you have to provide millions of cables it adds up. The HDMI 2.1 cable requires better shielding so that adds to the production cost. That is actually the only difference afaik.

2 Likes

The fact that Sony didn’t confirm this yet should tell you all you need to know about it. It’s a HDMI 2.0 cable, not 2.1

This could have been resolved with one tweet or confirmation to gaming media.

4 Likes

So what’s the follow up to the alleged tweet saying Sony confirmed it was hdmi 2.1?