PS5 and Xbox series X: Boot and stand by time + game loading times comparison

CPU plays a pretty big role in fetching data from peripherals.

5 Likes

Those load times are nice!

2 Likes

Iā€™m amazed how Xbox is having better load times from the apparent alien technology of the PS SSD.

All we have been hearing for months is how the SSD will make PS perform better, or that the Unreal demo can only be achieved on the SSD.

2 Likes

Yep.

Iā€™m starting to believe we wonā€™t see a big difference in multiplatform loading times, and if X has the edge, now that would be something.

2 Likes
:sunglasses:
3 Likes

One MORE thing to keep in mind.

This is for BC games, which means the CPU is running in ā€œPS4 modeā€ which means itā€™s running slower than it normally would, which further slows it down.

2 Likes

Now this makes sense.

doesnā€™t explain why the cold boot times are identical, nor why the boot times for sleep mode have such a disparity. also if the cpu was running in ā€œps4 modeā€ why do ps4 backcompat games have improved framerates for unlocked games. you donā€™t go from 30-40fps to 60fps using ā€œps4 modeā€.

hilarious how people try to downplay actual differences to appear ā€œrationaā€ ā€œneutralā€ or ā€œnot a console warriorā€ and so see through.

7 Likes

Those are good points. Wen it comes to ingame load times, Spiderman fast travel is nearly instant. But Sea of Thieves Mermaid fast travel, too.
GTAV is 5 seconds.

Seems like the Xbox Series solution is just well thought out and works. Sure in some games they might be slower, but there isnā€™t any huge PS5 advantage so far.

7 Likes

Even if PS5 might end up with a few seconds less in something like ACV or WDL, CoD, Cyberpunkā€¦it seems more and more likely that it wonā€™t be the shocking difference they seemed to make it out to be. Xbox SSD is nothing to sneeze at and thatā€™s great. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Its is a bit surprising, but then remember loading is not just accessing storage. It is also running the software, decompressing and processing the assets. Boot times are probably not really storage bound, the faster CPU should be more important there.

In the end I would not be surprised if the Series S has the fastest loading times in some of these multiplattform games with its reduced assets sizes.

Also just noticed the load times vor Avengers. Its still over one minute and was originally almost 3 minutes?! Oh my :see_no_evil:

In my case, itā€™s just that Iā€™m pretty ignorant about this sort of thing and generally skeptical. I donā€™t know what kinds of speeds would make sense with these SSDs, and Iā€™ve heard that the PS5 has a crazy SSD. I also donā€™t want to get too excited about a prospect and then get disappointed, so I can see how it might come off like Iā€™m trying to harsh your buzz. Iā€™m not jumping to ā€œSony liedā€ because I donā€™t think thatā€™s a great place to start from. I really just want to wait until we have a clearer picture. Either way, the Series X is FAST and Iā€™m excited as hell.

Edit: I should add that if these speeds bear out across next-gen titles too, Iā€™d be most annoyed with myself for falling for Sony marketing.

1 Like

That is more for next gen titles, where the compression and decompression optimisation is taken into account and offloaded from the cpu cores. In this case, due to the very nature of the workload, itā€™s linear loading were cache and heat become factors, far more so than in next gen games. If anything that makes it more of a good comparison of the drives as optimisation doesnā€™t come in place here. I assure you the system is maxing out both drives, but it might not be maxing out the ps5 in a proper way for sustained speeds, as in allowing it to cool down or itā€™s cache to catch up.

There have been many patches for Sonyā€™s first party games though, that dealth with load times. It was all over the gaming news last week as it also made ps4 systems load them faster.

I would need to rewatch it but, I remember digital foundry saying in the backwards compatibility video that the games were running in PS5 boost mode

1 Like

I thought the boost mode applied to games that received Pro patches or something like that? Iā€™m starting to get mixed up, here.

So was rewatching it now and in about 1:30 mark of the video Richard says that every game they tested except one runs with the full cpu and gpu power of the PS5 like on Xbox.

The nonsense I see on Twitter by people, hahaha.

ā€œthe SSD is custom, these BC games need to be patched.ā€ but they forget that neither have the games been patched on XSX.

Some tried to spew their ignorance to ACG but he wasnā€™t having it, haha.

The meltdowns by these sillies next week could be something special if loading for ACV, WDL, Dirt 5 barely differs not to mention if Xbox takes the lead.

Oh, one person also said Dirt 5 is better on PS5, way less pop in. If even true at all I bet this person was comparing 120fps mode on XSX with 4K mode on PS5 or something.

3 Likes

Who was telling dirt 5? I would like to see.

First guy commenting, he calls the game Dirty though, lol.

I liked this too, especially ACGā€™s (Jeremy) reply

2 Likes