Power On: The Story of Xbox (six-part documentary)

Lucky for you that Halo Edition is going to retain its resale value for years. You should be able to sell it for what you paid for it, then order the Starfield Edition Xbox when the time comes.

But the issue is I wanna keep it haha, I would have 3 Xbox Series Xā€™s at that point :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This was really good.

You donā€™t collect things do you? :wink:

1 Like

One thing I liked seeing these documentaries was the aggressiveness of Team Xbox to fight Sony and Nintendo head on, imo there is too ā€œkumbayaā€ these days, expecially considering it is completely onesided, those two companies still see Xbox/MS as a dangerous threat and move accordingly, damaging Xbox every time they can, while MS imo risks to repeat the X1 mistake to look at 10 years in the future and loose focus on the present, where Amazon and Google are literal jokes within gaming.

1 Like

Enjoyed the documentary. I didnā€™t like the last episode much like has been said in previous posts it felt rushed and propaganda but I understand why theyā€™d need to do it.

My biggest take away from it is how society has changed in all aspects of entertainment there never seems to be those pop culture moments anymore.

Like the realise of a big film or launches like the ps2, Xbox and games like halo. All of that stuff is just streamed and done online. Itā€™s a shame

The whole season is free on the Xbox store so you can watch it on the Movie app btw.

4 Likes

Just watched ep 3. This is so well made. And love how everyone is open and honest.

Just started with episode 1. Is this the voice of Cortana?

Laura Bailey

1 Like

Ah my bad, really thought it was the voice actress of Cortana, Jen Taylor.

1 Like

Watched all the episodes yesterday. A really well-made documentary, not a piece of propaganda at all. It requires guts to talk about their huge mistakes like the red ring of death and the Xbox One release. It is good to see how people love to work at Xbox and what they achieved since 2001. The OG Xbox and Xbox Live were revolutionary, maybe some young people can understand better in which reality they were released.

Just watched the first episode, I think Iā€™ll watch one a day. This is damn interesting and I learn a lot of new stuff. Had no idea PS2 was marketed as going against PC, those claims back then were wild.

Love this kind of stuff!

PS2 was, at least here in Brazil, also marketed as the only dvd player youā€™ll ever need bc it can play DVD games and movies. This and piracy makes the PS2 arguably the best selling console in the country even today. The only competition is Sega Mega Drive, I guess.

1 Like

Episode 2

So it seemed that Xbox wasnā€™t going to happen, then someone asked ā€œWhat about Sony?ā€. Microsoft had owned the den and the office, and the thought of Sony owning the rest of the home is offensive to Bill. And then soon Bill and Steve just saidā€¦letā€™s do this!

I donā€™t know, I just loved that part.

And the part about GDC and how all three Xbox units were not working. Shit I canā€™t imagine how that must have been for the team, and especially for Seamus.

I also now begin to understand why Oddworld Abeā€™s Oddysey went from PS2 game to Xbox launch game. I remember hating MS for that because I was very much a PS2 fan, lol.

Oh man, that E3 2001 part. Back then I wasnā€™t focused at all on Xbox, it was all about PS2 and GTA 3 for me, so I had not seen that E3. A lot went wrong there, holy shit. Had no idea the road to launch was this rockt. I find this all incredibly interesting. But it was also super awesome to see that launch with all the gamers and Bill.

Oh also, passing on GTA 3ā€¦Jesus.

3 Likes

Tbf, (evidently) Sam Houser from R* showed up to meet with them for 30 minutes. He spent 25mins pitching another game and only 5 mins pitching GTA3. MS was apparently not impressed with the first pitch and kinda brushed off the 2nd one. That first pitch was for a game based onā€¦Austin Powers. >.>

Wtf. how are you not going to show your best thing for the majority of the time? This is crazy. Whereā€™s this from?

1 Like

Seamus Blackley tweeted it a few days ago.

Wow, so a Austin Powers games got the majority of the time, a game that never saw the light of day? Lmao.

1 Like

Sometimes even developers donā€™t have a clue of what they have in store. XD

3 Likes