Power On: The Story of Xbox (six-part documentary)

Like, the amount of stuff that they thought of was just way ahead of its time. They knew where the market, hell, markets were headed but they acted on it way too early and with questionable business models. And There were just so many issues with the messaging, presentation, pricing, and horrible/miss communication.

3 Likes

I mean I wished they covered WHY their first party situation was like that in the XB1 era. And that should also trace back to the 360 and Don’s era, like I just need to know the justification behind not investing seriously in their first party in late 360 early XB1 era.

And maybe that’s something that’s so horribly managed that they don’t want to cover it and remind people of it, because it could shine some doubts about their current and future studio management.

2 Likes

Felt the same. By time they got to present day they were just doing bullet points of accomplishments. Which funnily enough made it feel like Xbox was the most corporate it’s ever been. Phil being candid in his past interviews filled in the gaps for me but it would have been cool to see some of that stuff documented.

1 Like

Agree. I was awaiting to hear more about this period but sadly, they never talked about it.

2 Likes

Because its very likely boring bean counter stuff. If you have a lot of market share and money you can moneyhat GTA and CoD DLC and outsource or just get heavy hitter 3rd party games like Gears. If your market share then shrinks significantly and your parent company questions your business, well things can go downhill fast. On top of that 3rd party games and contracts take longer and get more expensive.

A turnaround to that costs time and money as we see with Xbox in the last couple of years.

People are willing to talk about the juicy stories, temper tantrums, meltdowns, and screw ups during the OG Xbox era because it was so long ago, wounds have healed, the principals have moved on to other jobs, etc. It will take a while before we can get the same level of dish regarding more recent history.

2 Likes

Watched the entire six part documentary last night. Was really good. Some great stuff. My only issue is that they rushed the end of last generation and messed up some things in terms of when they happened. First, they didn’t mention Sea of Thieves or State of Decay 2 being the first first party games to go on Game Pass day one which I found surprising and second, they mentioned the Zenimax acquisition before the Xbox Series X/Hellblade 2 reveal at TGA when it should have been reversed.

Other than that, amazing documentary. Really enjoyed it since I watched all 6 episodes in a row.

P.S. - Can’t believe that they passed on GTA III being exclusive for the original Xbox. I know people will say, how do you know it will be massive? You don’t but at that time, I would have taken every single game that I could have gotten. Not all would hit but those that do would make people forget all about the games that didn’t.

1 Like

Watching Episode Six is like watching a slow motion car crash

This was great. That GTA 3 tidbit was a massive L. I want more :joy:

The part of the xbox one reveal was just wow. They knew they messed it up and went into E3 to fix it and they still messed it up lmao.

1 Like

499 was DOA

1 Like

They had so much momentum coming off of the 360 too, only to piss it all away right out of the gate.

Yeah, went with PS4 after Microsoft announced $500, stuck with Kinect (pukes) and wanting people to check in every day online. UGH.

Shame because Microsoft’s E3 2013 Briefing was so much better than Sony’s.

Thats the thing. The E3 was way better but the whole messaging and Pricing ruined it.

1 Like

Agreed. The May reveal was horrible. I sometimes wonder how things would have went if they didn’t do that shitty May reveal, waited for E3 and didn’t have Kinect/online check in every day. I would think that $400 and being on par with Sony would have lasted much longer than just the November launch month.

1 Like

Wife and I just finished this last night. Man it was good! That GTA III shit had us yelling “OOOOMMMGGGG!!!”. I was shocked they even got Don in this thing. But it was awesome to see how this Team has come out. Happy for Team Xbox and the future

Bethesda feels so much like when MS bought Bungie, I have a gut feeling Starfield is going to be what Halo is to Xbox and that’s what made them pull the trigger. Starfield might be the game to push them back on the path with the same success of how Halo did it to the Xbox OG and Xbox 360.

1 Like

Finished the first two episodes, really enjoying it. Biggest takeaway so far is the infighting between Windows and the DirectX team (doesn’t that sound familiar) wild to hear they got Mattrick for the Xbox one episode as well.

EDIT: Jeez they passed on GTA III?! How have I never heard about this before?

3 Likes

I agree completely. People get a little too wrapped up in last generations mind set. Xbox literally owns Bethesda now. Xbox is going to be monstrously popular going forward. Even without Bethesda’s games Xbox has been on a roll, but just imagine when Starfield hits next year. In my opinion Xbox needs to take a page from Nintendo’s playbook here. Step 1: buy Bethesda. Step 2: Limited edition consoles (like what Nintendo does) with every new “big” game release. Step 3: profit.

2 Likes

I’m worried they’re going to do a Starfield special edition console :sweat_smile: and I’m saying that as a proud owner of the Halo edition console.