PlayStation: Xbox's Call of Duty offer was "inadequate on many levels" (Jim Ryan says Xbox offered 3 years beyond current deal)

I would probably be discontent, but the point is that people are trying to frame it as Sony is some kind of victim and somehow entitled to COD for one reason to another.

Not to mention with Playstation Advantage Sony was already alienating Xbox platform that received less modes and so on. Or we can even use Destiny 1 as the example where the locked mode destroyed D1 community on Xbox.

5 Likes

Which is why it won’t happen. Regardless, I’m sure MS cares more about using CoD to push Xcloud than anything else. I’m sure Phil is just rolling his eyes at Jim here. :smile:

3 Likes

I was talking about BUSINESSES in general, (which MS is) not just gaming.

No matter gaming, music, etc… You think any business is going to sign over one of their IPs to be released in perpetuity on a competing platforms?

1 Like

You mean like Sony did with Bungie? Or does that one not count?

1 Like

Won’t someone think of the children poor Jimmy Ryan?

25 Likes

Has there been a leaked contract that ensures Bungie’s output stays multiplat indefinitely? If not it doesn’t count.

4 Likes

Alright this is a good one lol :laughing:

ITT: it’s a crime to ask Sony to follow MS’s own rules if they still wanna keep getting CODsin futures.

Anyone else want to contend Call of duty wont be Xbox Exclusive after they’ve paid their contractual dues?

If that’s where we want to draw the line in the sand that’s fine, but acting like there’s no chance of such a thing happening doesn’t seem like a safe assumption to make either imo.

1 Like

The whole reason Bungie agreed to be bought by Sony is Bungie’s negotiation to stay multiplatform.

1 Like

Oh I see, we’re making assumptions here!

Final Fantasy exclusive on PS: Nothing to see here, it’s just business, Sony got the upper hand, no reason to complain, just buy a PS5 if you want to play it.

Call of Duty exclusive on Xbox: TOTAL F’ING MELTDOWN :fire: :exploding_head: :fire_engine:

18 Likes

The Cultist Entitlement™ goes all the way to the top I see.

This is embarassing.

16 Likes

The thing is, you saw many Xbox fans accept CoD not being exclusive. Like, whatever, we’ll get it on Game Pass and all that. And then Sony keeps announcing money hats and “Playstation Advantage” bullshit some of which btw will probably be announced for CoD MW2 shortly before its release like usual. You can’t keep people from rooting for it when that BS keeps happening.

8 Likes

Question…

Will the media now also put in their articles that while Jim is now going on about CoD, what about FF7R and just FF in general for Xbox? It’s the same kind of thing. Will they also mention the many opportunities Sony took to ruin Xbox? Will they mention the Game Pass blocking deals?

Nah scratch that. It’s not even a question, we all know the answer to that, sigh.

10 Likes

You’re right, I can’t stop people from rooting for it, but I can point out the hypocrisy.

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s stupid, even if I disagree with his sentiment. Microsoft made a written promise to Sony to keep Call of Duty on their platform for multiple years after any contracts had concluded - they didn’t do this out of kindness, it’s a strategic move because they’re trying to avoid regulators forcing them into more than this.
Now, I disagree with what some seem to think here - I don’t think Microsoft is eyeing up Call of Duty as an exclusive even after the contracted period ends, I think Microsoft intends to keep Call of Duty multiplatform for as long as it’s beneficial for them to do so - but they also want to get through this acquisition without having to make legal promises as to what they’re gonna be doing a decade ahead of time. The simple fact is the industry could change, and in 10 years time maybe Call of Duty makes more sense as an exclusive.

Sony is just playing the other side of the same strategy here - they know Microsoft are trying to avoid promising anything more than they have to and know this statement is going to make it harder for Microsoft to get through the regulation phase without making additional promises, additional promises that directly benefit Sony.

2 Likes

Of course they won’t. :smile:

2 Likes