PlayStation: Xbox's Call of Duty offer was "inadequate on many levels" (Jim Ryan says Xbox offered 3 years beyond current deal)

It’s not everyday that a platform holder acquires a significantly important multiplatform publisher. No similar history exists for us to derive from, it’s an extremely unique situation.

1 Like

No one is acting like that. It’s that no business really is going to sign a perpetuity clause… When they can negotiate. No one is saying this situation is normal in the gaming industry.

1 Like

It’s unprecedented for such a deal to be in place in the first place. 3 years after the existing agreements basically takes you to the end of the generation, a time at which any COD fan will be choosing a new console and will likely choose an Xbox.

8 Likes

This is far more adequate than any of the shitty exclusivity deals Sony has sought out over the last decade, especially those that specifically took historically-multiplatform franchises off Xbox. This is purely playing to a cultish fan base and regulators (like CMA) who didn’t bother to do any research.

Sony spent decades renting IP in attempts to kill their competitors, and now they’re getting a taste of their own medicine. Oh well.

By Sony’s own logic, I guess it’s only okay for gamers to be swayed on exclusivity when it’s in their favor.

35 Likes

Wow, that statement comes off so whiny and entitled. This dude runs a multi billion dollar business and he sounds like Veruca Salt.

21 Likes

Well said and I’m like…

Allllll the wayyyyyy

7 Likes

Jim Ryan is scared of losing CoD. I’m not sure airing this stuff out in public is going to help him much. The fanboys and “Journalists” will eat it up, but I honestly can’t bring myself to feel an ounce of sympathy for him or for Playstation.

14 Likes

OP posted 24 min ago…already 45 comments. Let’s go !!

1 Like

You literally replied to me with this when I asked about multi platform clarity ahead of time.

Did you mean marketing rights, because that would be a whole different subject I wasn’t talking about.

Phil did not need to offer anything to Playstation in the first place.

I think Microsoft should just pull the plug on COD after the contracts expires after such stunts of Sony. Still crazy to have that level of entitlement in higher ups.

Nonsense. They went after the bakery, they can do whatever. The fact that they have offered that in the first place - such things have never happened before - and Sony was still discontent is crazy.

8 Likes

I highly disagree. Cutting your player base down (even if short term) and alienating a whole different platform for something like CoD comes off absolutely terrible to me.

3 Likes

I’m saying it again, but if I were Bungie, I would hate to have been bought by Sony. They seem to care more about COD than leveraging Destiny.

12 Likes

This so, so freaking much man it isn’t even funny.

Years of them trying to “destroy Xbox”, deals with companies that Xbox associated themselves a lot with like Zenimax to make sure new games didn’t come to Xbox for at least a year or longer.

Did their best AND succeeded with Xbox not getting FF7R anymore and we all know future mainline titles won’t either.

The fucking Game Pass blocking deals like RE Village and so on.

CRY SOME MORE SONY.

12 Likes

What playerbase? Warzone 1, 2, F2P games would stay on PS anyway. Alienating a platform? Playstation? The platform that tries to alienate Xbox in every opportunity?

5 Likes

Would you not be discontent if you were in their place? Sony’s primary motive is to protect their business. They’d be dumb to not try doing whatever they can to guarantee all future CoD games come to their platform.

So are you a “take an eye for an eye” kind of person? Because I’m definitely not.

1 Like

I’m not for it, but is it much worse than what Sony does to Xbox across multiple different franchises and genres?

If you can get past the initial “fun” of the rabid online folks (many of us included) responding one way or another, I really think that this is ultimately a very weak and frankly stupid thing for Jim Ryan to have come out and said. Xbox can have a field day with the PlayStation 3rd party gatekeeping business tactics in either public forum of their choosing or more likely behind closed doors with regulators or possible eventual courts if it comes to that at any point. There is a credible argument to be made that Sony’s practices have been clearly anticompetitive in terms of leveraging their market position to squash any competition.

16 Likes

I hope Microsoft goes to down on every single little deal Sony has done to “impact” Xbox, Nintendo and PC gamers. Why are Playstation gamers a protected group?

This is bloody ridiculous on so many levels it made me laugh out loud.

5 Likes
15 Likes

They both suck, that’s the point I’m making here.

We shouldn’t be rooting for either imo.

1 Like