PlayStation: Xbox's Call of Duty offer was "inadequate on many levels" (Jim Ryan says Xbox offered 3 years beyond current deal)

PlayStation: Xbox’s Call of Duty offer was “inadequate on many levels”

Microsoft has offered for Call of Duty to remain on PlayStation for three years beyond current deal

“I hadn’t intended to comment on what I understood to be a private business discussion, but I feel the need to set the record straight because Phil Spencer brought this into the public forum,” Ryan stated.

“Microsoft has only offered for Call of Duty to remain on PlayStation for three years after the current agreement between Activision and Sony ends. After almost 20 years of Call of Duty on PlayStation, their proposal was inadequate on many levels and failed to take account of the impact on our gamers. We want to guarantee PlayStation gamers continue to have the highest quality Call of Duty experience, and Microsoft’s proposal undermines this principle.”

12 Likes

Spicy

Be grateful for what you can get Jimmy

10 Likes

I definitely can’t blame Sony if MS is only guaranteeing three years after the current arrangement.

CoD should be staying multiplat forever, imo. Although I’m sure Microsoft might argue it already will be if Sony accepts their services, but not sure how legal that would end being…

4 Likes

The reactions to this statement has been hilarious from both sides.

3 Likes

Its called a negotiation Jim. Now you’re supposed to make a counteroffer.

6 Likes

We want to guarantee PlayStation gamers continue to have the highest quality Call of Duty experience, and Microsoft’s proposal undermines this principle.”

So this entitlement isn’t just from the fanbase, it extends to, if not rooted in, the leadership. lol

21 Likes

lol you really expect a forever clause? After the three years are up, you re-negotiate.

16 Likes

Let MW2 and the next CoD come to Game Pass Day 1 and then Phil will make a better offer. Gotta give something to get something.

Funniest thing is that Phil didn’t even bring it into the public. It was leaked and he corroborated.

24 Likes

So Jimmy isnt accepting the 3 years offer anymore ? This means COD exclusive for xbox right after Sony’s contract with Activision expires ?

1 Like

Exactly

Xbox/Phil are never gonna offer to keep it on playstation forever, that would be one of the dumbest things ever

You use it to make deals and leverage

8 Likes

Yeah, exactly this. Especially since Phil said “at least several more” which implies that it could be more if the terms are right.

For a game to stay multiplat? I think renegotiating every three years seems extreme. At the very least the “deal” should be extended much further.

I will never understand people rooting for CoD exclusivity.

… Yes? How do you think this works? Just like MS allowed Ori to be on the Switch.

Also, I’m not rooting for exclusivity, I don’t care one way or the other. It’s just hilarious that Sony doesn’t expect to negotiate for an IP that would belongs to MS.

5 Likes

I don’t want it exclusive, but 3 year agreements are absolutely normal for stuff. Our company signs 3 year software agreements all the time and then they get renewed.

4 Likes

Its not really about rooting for anything, it’s just common sense business

MS are about to own that franchise, it’s theirs’s to do as they wish so if Sony want it, make it worth it for MS

7 Likes

Do most multiplatform game holders have to sign a deal years in advance to promise future games coming to a platform? I’m not aware of such a practice.

I very much disagree that is the stance some members on this forum have been taking. Some just want to see MS bury Sony, and that’s not right.

3 Likes

Yes 3 years and then re-negotiate is good . Some companies make 10 years deal and they almost always regret it .

You never know the market position in the future. Xbox could get into a position where they could need CoD to be exclusive. It would be foolish to give that away too.

8 Likes

I’m sorry, maybe I don’t know how things work but…

Starfield is Xbox and PC only, TES VI will likely be, most of Zenimax very likely will be.

Be fucking glad at all Jim, that you’re getting this offer. I’m sorry, but the gall of this guy. Had the roles been reversed…would Sony have offered anything?

15 Likes