PlayStation: Xbox's Call of Duty offer was "inadequate on many levels" (Jim Ryan says Xbox offered 3 years beyond current deal)

Can we have some examples of this? It’s weird I’m suddenly hearing about this only with the ABK deal.

EA Star Wars exclusivity was a 10 years deal.

1 Like

Im sure some do, im not fussed even if I do think Sony deserves taking down a peg or two

But again, this is basic business, if you own something, you leverage it the best you can

4 Likes

He complain about the fact that they offered him 3 years, when if they wanted they could put cod exclusively as soon as their contract ended

6 Likes

Anyhow, the regulators already know about this deal and Jim is just trying to drum up public opinion against this deal.

3 Likes

Proposed counter-offer Zero Years.

22 Likes

Call of Duty isn’t even guaranteed 10 years so it makes sense not to make a longer contract. If the next 3-4 Call Of Duty games all bomb or the games become too controversial there’s a chance Microsoft could move away from Call Of Duty.

That’s a license to work on a property that isn’t there’s though.

I’m asking do we have deals where a third party studio/publisher had to agree to a multi-year deal to continue releasing a game to a platform.

Like does Bandai Namco do a multi-year promise deal to release future Tekken games on all platforms?

I mean, in every other example the game ceases to be multiplatform. This is uncharted territory for the most part.

2 Likes

Since the deal was done I’ve been saying Microsoft was not going to want to sign a contract to put it on playstation forever. Idk why hoeg and other people keep pushing the narrative that Microsoft wants to be the “nice guy” like jeff grubb said they do calculations for these deals before hand. They knew by 2026 that they would have enough of the playerbase over to xbox to offset the loss in revenue

1 Like

And it’s working lol, look at this thread its about to explode, it already happened on Twitter. I’m sure Ryan’s and Phil’s DM are filled with wonderful things

CoD marketing is renewed every 3 years afair.

7 Likes

I mean, Minecraft is still multiplat and continues to be with new games. That’s the only example I can think of.

Sony needs to leave the video game business. They are swimming in the shallow end of the pool with a floaty while the rest of the industry keeps jumping in the deepend while raising the height of the diving board. Sony can’t keep this up forever, eventually they will need to join the competition or leave the pool.

PlayStation the brand will remain, it’s just time for new owners.

3 Likes

But that is by Microsoft’s desire, not an agreement

2 Likes

I wasn’t referring to marketing. I’m asking about multiplat releases.

Several people are acting like every publisher does a multi-year agreement ahead of time for every game.

Seeing how utterly scared Sony is of losing CoD MS really should use it as leverage. Let Sony quit with those Game Pass blocking deals and then we’ll see about CoD.

3 Likes

Exactly. So the universal agreement some people are trying to sell me here doesn’t exist?

Like this is why I’m confused.

There would likely be a new agreement for each new game normally, so this is saying hey we’ll guarantee you the next few.

Yeah, this is what I’m wondering now too.