Playstation Plus revamp announced, Jim Ryan explains why Sony cannot currently offer day and date games in service

Then it’s just Jim with the big talk when he says major publishers?

Jim Ryan is an insider on Twitter confirmed!

1 Like

Major publishers but not necessarily major new games. It’ll probably be back catalogue like how Game Pass started in 2017

Getting rid of the online play paywall on Xbox after these news will be fun as hell. :rofl:

3 Likes

I wonder if Xbox announces the end of Live Gold and make all MP free to play and reduce gamepass price or introduce yearly options.

1 Like

True, but I didn’t necessarily mean brand new games only. It’s possible with Sony being in the position they are (market leader etc) that they managed to get more often older AAA games from multiplatform studios than Game Pass does. It has been improving but most months the majority of games are indies with one, sometimes two AAA games. But there are tons of older AAA titles that have yet to still have their Game Pass moment.

For example Sony could have AC Valhalla or RE Village on there, older games but still very strong additions. But anything could be the case here.

As terrible as it was rumored then. Though it’s clear they are going to offer day one games on the service (I would bet it’s announced before the end of next year), and I imagine they will spend this year improving the catalog.

If Ms is indeed serious about killing off gold, now would be the time to strike.

The competitor is basing their subscription on top of a sub you are required to purchase to play online. Ms getting rid of gold would be a slap in the face and would show how far ahead in the game they are, because gamepass was an optional service that people only subbed because it’s awesome and was still a success.

Don’t see how that would necessarily help. If anything, it’d be a bit harder. They have a bigger base, and more expected sales, so they have to compensate publishers for more projected lost sales.

1 Like

Why? This announcement did not position Game Pass worse than before and did not make PS+ more attractive. Essentially it did nothing and did not sway anybody over Playstation or Xbox.

No reason for Microsoft to cut their revenue stream right now.

10 Likes

Hmmm, you’re not wrong about that.

But nonetheless it wouldn’t surprise me if they manage to get older AAA titles more often. Their Plus games most of the time were pretty strong too, with a few exceptions, correct?

“Up to 740 games” which PSNow already is close to, no? it’s well over 700 and already has ps2/3/4 games. The only “new” additions are the two ps5 games and seemingly a small handful of PS1 games?

12 Likes

So does this now mean Sony has a budget Game Pass for budget gamers /s

Screams but we have game pass at home.

5 Likes

That’s why I said:" if Ms is serious about killing off gold". It’s something we know they want (Phil said so to Tim Sweeney as shown by the Epic trail emails)

The reason for killing gold has nothing to do with Spartacus, but gold has no place in the xbox ecosystem Ms is building, and they know that.

Having said that, Spartacus being so bad, and relying on the obligation to pay to play online gives them the perfect opportunity to announce now and have a PR/mind share win

4 Likes

I’m seeing people say the retro games are not even enhanced?

So all games play native res and fps?

So you play PSP games at like 480 x 272 on a 55 inch 4k TV?

Xbox made every single OG Xbox game enhanced for a good reason…

7 Likes

I think Rand has mentioned before he believes Gold will go away once Game Pass hits an internal target. I am thinking like 50 million subs.

7 Likes

Yeah I agree, I want them to kill xbox gold but their is 0 reason for them to do that, hell their is insentive to keep it around as it pushing people to go for game pass ultimate over xbox game pass. If the sony one was bigger or actual compitition I could see the argument but game pass is much better than PS’s subscription service and costs less…I don’t even think their version is that bad which is probably a hot take but its obvious game pass is the much better value

1 Like

So Jim Ryan said that he does not know why people want to play old games but ends up making it the cornerstone of the higher tier.

19 Likes

Gold without a doubt will go away at some point, it’s a weird relic that shouldn’t be there. It was to help support servers and subsidize the console but they don’t need either now.

3 Likes

Looks like Jim is still catching up to Xbox 360’s vision. :joy:

3 Likes