Playstation Plus revamp announced, Jim Ryan explains why Sony cannot currently offer day and date games in service

I can’t believe they have a $18 a month option.

1 Like

yeah, I don’t think the offerings are bad but the pricing is stupid. At most it should of costed just as much as xbox game pass ultimate and that feels like too much considering you are getting less

2 Likes

One thing gold members will miss that Microsoft can tie into ultimate only is the gold discount during sales. But yeah, going ahead and getting rid of gold would be a big hit, don’t expect it to happen until Game Pass is at least at 40 million.

I’m sure it’ll be case by case, but I’m thinking the big single player games that people want from Sony won’t hit the service for a year at best.

I could see smaller games or games with heavy monetization come sooner though.

I could see live service going in a few months after but I feel like the bigger games will enter a few years after at best but I am not overly opitimistic about this which is probably why besides the pricing I am not that disappointed in the service

3rd party publishers now with two services fighting over some content.

Show me the money!

1 Like

This service is a choice to PS gamers which is good…

It only looks bad when compared to Gamepass…

And to think that Sony internally talked about this being a Game Pass competitor.

There’s absolutely nothing competitive when your highest tier:

1- Still has no day one first party releases

2- Is actually more expensive than GPU

2 Likes

Which is probably going to happen twice a month when MS announces their monthly games.

1 Like

BRUH, imagine. but they can add games too both though so I doubt it will be much of an issue but they can have a minimum line due to this. like microsoft or sony paid me this much for this game so you have to match the offer at least

Yeah, they are definitely going to have day one games. Only a matter of time

The quote about being open to in the future and how they think service games is the future also is pretty telling of what their strategy will be too:

They will invest in MP games to drive more people to Ps Plus. And will them put their SP games day one on the extra/premium tiers to make people go up to a higher tier.

(Curious to see how Ms reacts, if they decide to make CoD it would throw a hell of a wrench into those plans)

Yeah they’re too relient on Playstation for income, they can’t risk changing it up massively. Xbox can because Xbox is only a small part of the pie at MS which is actually starting to grow really big in terms of investment and importance.

I don’t think they gonna need that number, the vast majority of Series owners buy together with Gamepass, I have a feeling that it will be killed off at the 20th anniversary in November, coinciding with the Call of Duty season and likely the near date of ABK acquisition approval, perhaps even exactly at that point.

2 Likes

Can’t wait till people see the huge ps2 retro library

8 Likes

That’s the one thing that remains to be seen. Sony’s third party offerings both old and more recent could potentially be better. This is the one thing I hope to see GP improve in too, more often AAA games. I wouldn’t mind seeing more than two AAA in a month. I don’t think anyone does.

An amazing 17 Retro PS2 titles. Are they even enhanced in any way shape or form over the native PS2 versions?

Hopefully more subscription services makes some of the publishers that have avoided them hop on board.

1 Like

They have trophies and a res bump.

It’s even more underwhelming than many of the more pessimistic takes around. Paying for BC which Xbox offers for free? Gen 9 continues to be streaming only? No day one first party games?

Microsoft didn’t need to respond before, but even less so now. An absolute lead balloon from Sony.

4 Likes