Playstation is making a new subscription service, codenamed Spartacus, merging PS PLUS and NOW. First Party Games not expected to be Day One

Reminds me of someone who said it nicely about Japanese market. Don’t have to create Xbox Japanese exclusive, at least for now, rather aim to gain the third-party from PS. So far, they’re succeeding.

I think historically major franchises for PlayStation will be ones they go for.

I’d be curious if this may be causing issues behind the scenes for Persona 5 on Game Pass……

Fantastic news.

Day One additions of first party games will happen eventually.

For now, this is just great news.

1 Like

I fear it might. If the choice were between a big sack of money to put in the work to port the game and put it on a service versus a slightly smaller sack of money for no work, I would pick the latter every time.

1 Like

lol the persona issues are almost certianly tied to Atlus being weird than anything else but yeah, stuff like this likely wont help

Like there’s zero reason for Persona/SMT to be exclusive to Sony/Nintendo but they do it anyway

1 Like

The only thing PlayStation I’m interested in is the exclusive titles. There is only two ways I will access them via PS5:

1. I do what I did with the PS4 and buy one cheap af on sale at the end of the generation with the 10 or so games I’m interested in from that gen. (Spent about $300 total)

2. They make PSnow into a Game Pass equivalent and I might get a PS5 sooner and sub a month when the games I’m interested in releases just to play them a bit sooner.

Looks like it’s still option 1.

2 Likes

This isn’t a Game Pass competitor. This is a Nintendo Online Expansion Pack competitor.

14 Likes

My PS5 is currently a very large attraction to dust

4 Likes

Better than Stadia!

I don’t know why people are getting concerned already for Game Pass. This seems like something MS was aware of far before anybody else ( insiders are generally the last to know about industry stuff ). Also, the service in the work, while better than PS + or PS Now alone, doesn’t seem to be on the level of Game Pass if you read the article.

1 Like

The dump im about to take this evening is better than Stadia brother

People get concerned about literally everything Sony do, it’s silly

A gamepass equivilent is inevitable from Sony but this is barely even that and it wont be until there games are there Day 1

The future is subscriptions, is was for music and movies, and MS have already shown it is for games

2 Likes

we’re still hearing dumbass stuff like this

1 Like

I don’t think anyone here is concerned for Game Pass?

3 Likes

I’m not concerned. More of head shook since it seems like they either missed the point of Game Pass success or they really don’t want to go there.

1 Like

This is pretty much my position as well, but it remains to be seen how this will affect GP users. If Sony have great expectations for this service they’ll be cutthroat and, by sheer dint of the PS playerbase, the service might bring in enough money for them to fight all the harder.

I like the way things are now, and this is an unknown quantity. I’m convinced that MS have plans to deal with this, but I just don’t like the uncertainty :stuck_out_tongue:

It will happen eventually

2 Likes

I’m not overly concerned for Game Pass, I just think we’ll start seeing more strategies between Pubs and Developers more so than we already do.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Microsoft attempts to keep EA Play/Access/whatever it’s called now exclusively tied to Game Pass (obviously still available separate on other platforms) and maybe tries to tie SEGA down too for day one releases.

I guess Forza Horizon 5 was rated 29 out of 100 if you flip the metric. Good to know.

6 Likes

also Game Pass other strength is their PC offering which Sony doesn’t have an exact match even if the Xbox app sucks sometimes.

Kind of irresponsible of Schreier to put the “take on Game Pass” language in the headline when you’ve got to read the fine print to see that it’s not really that… at all.

But I guess “Sony planning to rebrand PSNow while offering the same service it currently does” isn’t as grabby.

4 Likes