Playstation is making a new subscription service, codenamed Spartacus, merging PS PLUS and NOW. First Party Games not expected to be Day One

PS+ + PSNow + a sprinkle of Nintendo Switch Online

5 Likes

If y’all have been wondering why Final Fantasy games seem to be leaving Game Pass and going straight to PSNow, this is probably why!

No 1st party day one releases ? This is just PS plus with PS now services for most probably high price . This is garbage to me .

Sony want their cake and eat it too

They want those juicy gamepass level subscriptions but want those millions of $70 Day 1 buyers too, until they put ps5 games on sub day 1, I dont care

and the ps1/2/3 games is nice feature to have but I can pretty much play any ps1/2 game emulated on a series x and most games from the ps3/360 gen have already been either remastered or been made BC on xb1/series

Does nothing for me but if it gets MS to push even harder, im all for it

2 Likes

A Final Fantasy game was just added to Game Pass…

3 Likes

They’ve been leaving because theyve been on there for a year

2 Likes

Yes, and line 4 or 5 have left.

Square is still fulfilling all the old promised titles that haven’t come iirc.

I wonder how much it will cost for highest tier. For Game Pass Ultimate, the value is reasonable yet arguably a steal. You get gold, EA Play, PC, perks, cloud gaming, and games. What’s offering here in the highest tier? PS1 games? This sounds like “hold my beer” challenge to Nintendo recent online plan.

Aside of that, talk about missing the point.

1 Like

this feels more like NSO + Expansion Pak and no day ones from first party then it is not a direct competitor to Game Pass and is more to rebrand/merge Playstation Now into PSPlus

5 Likes

And they’ve all been going straight to PSNow, correct?

Like most 3rd party games then

But how many go straight to the competing service afterward? Final Fantasy has been doing exactly that.

they are also going to have to work out a revenue share with the developers if they do try First day third party games like how Game Pass have different revenue share per developer?

GTA and Control went from PSNow then to Game Pass afterward. I think RDR2 too went to PSNow after Game Pass directly

This might end up in PlayStation TV, Vita, and Classic line of failure.

1 Like

Sony greatest strength is their first party and the big enough third-party backlog. Its weakness is the infrastructure and how high they want to price this

First thought: “Aight, time to get a PS5”

reading more than headline

Second thought: “lmao, they don’t understand why Game Pass is what it is. No thanks”

7 Likes

I’m just saying they’re probably building up their catalog before the big launch. Final Fantasy has been a key franchise for PlayStation.

Game Pass is the thing that made me consider leaving the Sony ecosystem, even though I didn’t have any specific interest in MS first party games at the time. What tipped the scales and made me stay was the quality of the experience the Xbox ecosystem provided, and the unbelievable value the conversion trick brought me. And now I’m interested in future MS first-party games as well!

All of this is to say that even if it were exactly comparable to Game Pass Ultimate, that wouldn’t be enough for me to go back. It’s just too nice here, and I don’t want to go back! Assuming that they do add first-party games permanently after a certain amount of time, this might affect my eventual plans of getting a PS5. From buying one and the exclusives I missed to borrowing one and buying a few months of this. If there is a similar conversion trick, then I would be much more interested and might actually plug my PS4 back in.

Edit: My big concern in this is that Sony will throw their weight around and that it would negatively affect the signing of future Game Pass deals. I’m hoping that it doesn’t come to that, or that MS are more willing to throw money around to protect their turf.

4 Likes

yeah they defintely going to try to use FF and any other Big franchise they have locked up with them

1 Like