Playstation 5 Price Speculation Thread

I just don’t see a $50 difference between a digital version of a console and a disc version to be incentive enough.

Sony can obviously take more of a hit on the digital only version because they will recoup it faster through online store purchases only.

If it is only a $50 difference it would straight up change my PS5 purchase from Digital to Disc Version.

MS is in a really BAD position now, with the delay of their one and only exclusive for launch. Price is literally the only bullet left in the gun

I told you this would go into September.

I think I will still buy the Series X at launch, but price is honestly not a factor for me. At this point I’m also seriously looking at building a new water-cooled SFF PC instead of buying a console, with Nvidia showing their cards before MS or Sony at this rate. The Nvidia cards will be available first, and will also smoke both consoles from a performance standpoint. The only issue with a PC is lack of backwards compatibility, which is actually a big issue for me. So the wait for information goes on …

If Sony does announce the price in the next few weeks it will be a kill shot - $399 for the DE leaves very little room or reason for the Series S that MS still has been unable to announce because of this game of chicken. And that is a very Jim Ryan thing to do now that Sony has even more of an advantage. I don’t think that will happen, but if it does - Resetera goes down in flames, and mass bannings for all with the Sony fans basically taking over the entire site for the foreseeable future.

Sony had already set their price before the show, and the execs were all grinning ear to ear when they heard MS price. They didn’t “counter punch” anything. Just took advantage of MS shooting themselves repeatedly in the foot with their entirely mismanaged launch. I read a really interesting article about it a few years ago …

Of course they counter punched. It has nothing to do with internal plans and everything to do with marketing. That has not changed since then and is the reason MS is holding off. It’s not like these companies announce stuff the moment they figure out the strategic moves…they hold off for a reason.

Uhh a less powerful console for the same price? Excuse me??? On all behalf Microsoft can’t be that dumb lol

1 Like

Unless Phil is another Matrick there is nothing to counter punch. Xbox had better backwards compatibility, and are flexible on price. Nobody is going to remember the sequence of the events unless one of the companies does something really stupid like the DRM or “sharing” message. That hurt MS infinitely more than the “price” of the console. Remember that MS quickly removed the Kinect and matched price

The only reason to not announce first is that there is more to show. Cannot show the Series S without announcing price

Series S at 400 lol yeah we are overpaying for this

Series 299

PS5DE 399

YEAH i think PS5DE is the better deal you get much powerful system for 100 more

Under that scenario the Series S would have to go below $299, and I’m not sure they can do that. It will be interesting to watch everything unfold over the next month …

1 Like

My realistic guess is:

$499 for both XSX and PS5

$399 PS5 Digital

$299 for XSS

However, I do think there’s a decent chance Xbox tries to undercut Sony, but if that happens I don’t think it’s by more than $50. $449 minimum for XSX.

1 Like

I will lay out the scenario again, and I’m interested to see if I am right

Let us say that Sony already knows their prices, but isn’t announcing yet - that fits the company, and everything we know about their strategy. It probably has very little to do with MS, as Sony can basically name their price and still sell out. That’s a given. I think they studied what Nintendo did with the Switch, and the timeframe for them will match very closely. Nintendo did a fantastic job with the release of the Switch. I also think it is more about solidifying the launch lineup before making launch announcements, given COVID. Sony will announce in early September, probably before Nvidia. Both Sony and MS are already shipping units which means that retailers already know the price of both …

It is also really apparent at this time that MS simply isn’t ready for this. I have to say that is the biggest surprise to me. I thought for sure that MS would have Halo ready for launch, or at least I did until a few weeks ago. Only good news is that if I do decide on Series X instead of a new PC build, I shouldn’t have as hard a time as expected obtaining one, even in the US. The delay of Halo cannot be under estimated, if all of social media is an indicator. Going to be a rough first year or two for MS, unless the Series S is priced stupid low. Now, different story in 2022 and later, but MS will almost undeniably be playing from behind once again when they do get going.

If I were MS, I would double down on CP 2077, and make it seem a necessity to have new hardware for the game. Like I’ve seen nonstop Halo ads on Youtube, I would have nonstop CP 2077 ads instead - they have the marketing. Also, MS would be smart to give more than a measly 3 months free of GP with their new machines when they do actually launch. Should have six months minimum to make up for the lack of available software.

Because now I expect Sony to double down on those timed exclusives in the next couple of months to drive home the disparity between the machines at launch, and in the launch window. That is what I would do if I were in Sony’s shoes.

But the price is really not going to matter for the first six months anyway

I agree with you.

Doomsday scenario imo, considering the PS5DE would be a flat out better value, especially since both the S and PS5DE will be discless.

I’m probably just being dramatic.

I don’t think even Microsoft could be that dumb. Could they?

1 Like

I think Sony will go with PS5 DE at 499 and PS5 at 549. They have nothing to lose with putting their prices higher because people will buy it anyway. They will need to recoup the cost with the SSD and cooling R&D too.

Xbox pincer strategy can still be at play. Series X can exert pressure on PS5 DE by being at 499, and they can market having a UHD player + Game Pass for value.

Lockhart can be the darkhorse. Xbox has been looking at varieties in genres for Game Pass and they can attract the casual users by offering them that. Having Xbox One controllers compatible will also make it more affordable too!

The problem Sony have is different from the problem MS has but it’s a problem none the less. The first at least 10 million consoles they sell, will sell fast and the price will never be higher than that point.

If they come in at $100 less per console than the market would allow, that’s a billion dollars. Just to stick it to MS.

They will sell that 10m easy at $550/$500DE. Going to $450/400DE or something similar will be a tough thing to do for them.

It’s likely even worse than that cause they could price even higher and go longer than the first 10m consoles with the launch price.

Yep, Sony has been very cautious with the Playstation and I dont think they will risk much price wise. It is not like the so called ‘value’ they have been talking about can be siphoned from money from the trees ^^

The war for users is still wide open. Im very disappointed by ydays news but this could mean Xbox could get very serious now.

“Beware of driving men to desperation. Even a cornered rat is dangerous.”

— Winston Churchill

That’s right. People are setting themselves up for disappointment. If they could go that low, they would have announced it months ago.

The price will be bad news.

1 Like

First year has Halo still and maybe a new Forza and with a small chance Everwild. I expect 2022 gonna be strong year for XGS and of that point there will be a constant steam of first party.

Yeah but the 299$ price tag would be very tempting to a lot of casuals that usually only play COD, Fortnite and GTA etc a lot of people don’t care about 4K.

We’ll see what it is, I was thinking 249$ at first but MS is probably only willing to go as low as 299$ and at first I thought the PS5 DE was going to be 449$ but I don’t see why Sony would make a separate edition to just sell it for just 50$ less but who knows.

1 Like

While I posted this too, I wonder if we’re being overly optimistic about the idea of the PS5 DE being $100 cheaper. Hell, Sony could make it the exact same price; but give it double the storage or something.