Playstation 5 Price Speculation Thread

• XSX - $499
  • Lockhart - $249 / $299
  • PS5DE - $399 / 449
  • PS5 - $499

Its going to be interestingā€¦Iā€™m guessing Ā£499 for the X and Ā£249 for Lockhart.

1 Like

I really think one way that Xbox can blunt all of this PS exclusive/timed exclusive barrage is thru the console price.

I think they are waiting to see where PS comes out before setting their prices

MS can afford to take a hit on consoles more than Sony can

If Sony goes out at $499/$399, then I could see MS going out at $399/$299 and bundling 3mth game pass with Series S & 6mths with Series X

I expect the Xbox live going away/folding into Game Pass to be a part of that strategy as well. Something like $9.99/mth or $72/year (Console only).

1 Like

$499/$299 Series X/Series S

$499/$399 PS5/PS5DE

I do not believe that Sony is planning to launch either SKU at $399, simply because as the market leader announcing ā€œStarting at $399ā€ when they revealed it, would have set the collective internet on fire.

Microsoft, as the under-dog, does not have the same strength in market and so any price they announce, even if below Sony, has more impact once the Sony price is known. This is why I believe they are both playing chicken with the price.

Iā€™d guess Xbox Series X is less than Playstation 5 by $50-$100, with Microsoft expecting to make up difference in Game Pass subscriptions.

Of course if PS5 comes in at $399, all the above is meaningless and Xbox has to match them.

European/UK prices typially include 20% VAT. In USA, prices are without VAT, but many will need to pay another ~10% tax.

If Sony could have launched at $399. We would have known the price already.

If either of them had a low price, they would be screaming from the rooftops. The reason neither company wants to say it first, is because they know whoever does it will be destroyed by internet.

This can only mean bad news.

Thatā€™s why I am skeptical about Lockhart. If they could undercut Sony that badly, they would have said it ages ago.

Yeah. Imagine no launch exclusives and all that for $599

Not a good look and meme worthy

1 Like

I think PS5DE is a better deal than XSS at this price points

1 Like

ā€œEdā€ made this point on the podcast too and it made a lot of sense to me. I also recall hearing a rumor about PS5 being in the $500-$550 range. Wondering if that is the sku split?

I bet XSX is $400 now sans Halo. XSS $250. MS is desperately trying to hold off announcing because they wanna be confident that they get last laugh, so to speak, in the sense of being last one to announce a major platform wide mic drop leading into launch.

Not at all. You would want to announce it right after Sony announces pricing. Any other timing would significantly dim the impact of it. It should come off as a counter punch. Just as Sony did last time to MS.

1. Xbox Series S - $200/$300

2. Xbox Series X - $400/$500

3. PlayStation 5 Digital Edition - $500

4. PlayStation 5 Disc Edition - $600

If Microsoft can hit $200/$400, they should just announce it already because Sony isnā€™t matching it whatsoever.

There is absolutely no way the S is $200 US. The Xbox One S currently has a msrp of $300 right now.

I think most of you guys are going to be disappointed with the S price. Gonna be higher than you guys will want. (on a similar note, Sony fans will be equally disappointed because the PS5 ainā€™t hitting $400).

Also, a disc drive is not going to give a $100 price difference. Will be $50 difference between the PS5 models. $500/$550 imo.

Xbox: Series S - $299 USD

PS5: Digital Edition - $449 USD

Xbox: Series X - $499 USD

PS5: Disc Edition - $549 USD

Depending on how long the Xbox One S hangs around I think they will bring that down to $199 USD or even $149 USD.

Iā€™m not expecting Series S to be $200. Iā€™m expecting $300 and for Xbox One S to be discontinued before the year ends because it makes no sense to have it on shelves. If Series S ends up being $200, I just think Microsoft should announce it already because Sony isnā€™t getting close. But again, im expecting $300. I donā€™t believe that Series S goes past $300. Xbox One X was $500 so I see Series X being the same price easily. It wonā€™t go past $500.

As for PlayStation 5, I do believe that the Digital Edition will be $500 and the Disc Edition will be $600. I donā€™t see any console being priced $X50. Itā€™s always $X99.99. Last console to do ā€œ49.99ā€ was Wii U at $349.99 which did not last long. Companies rarely go in between. Itā€™s either the lower hundred or the higher hundred.

Sony wants everyone to go Digital and the best way for them to accomplish this is NOT by under-pricing it but by over-pricing the Disc Edition because it will in turn force majority to the Digital Edition.

Of course, all this remains to be seen.

Series X - $499 PS5 - $499 PS5 Digital - $449 Series S - $399

Why MS havent ran with an All Digital Series X when they brought one out last gen has got me miffed.

The fact that Microsoft continue to play chicken with the price tells me they ultimately donā€™t have plans to release these consoles cheaply. Even the Series S.

Because Sony donā€™t NEED to announce their price. They can literally wait until launch day, drop $599 and get away with it if they wanted to, which tells me Microsoft wants to price these consoles higher than we think.

Because if Series S really was going to be $299, why not just announce it? Or if youā€™re willing to go $249, just set that as the price anyway because Sony wonā€™t go near that amount.

So Iā€™m starting to think we might see a ā€œworst caseā€ scenario now of:

Series S $399 PS5DE $399 Series X $499 PS5 $499

But maaaaaan I hope thatā€™s not the case. Because I donā€™t see a world where Sony announces first.

2 Likes

Series X 499$-Series S 299$-PS5 499$-PS5 DE 399$

Series S 199~249$ Series X 349~399$

PS5 499$ PS5 All Digital 449$