Playstation 5 Price Speculation Thread

Xsx $499 Lockhart $299

Ps5 $499 Ps5d $429

1 Like

I do not want to speculate, I just need to comment on one talking point I read often on forums. A $299 Lockhart is a great value proposition against a $499 PS5 and Series X, but not against a $399 PS5 DE.

For me the opposite is true. A $399 PS5 DE is making a $499 PS5 a bad value proposition but wonā€™t affect Lockhart that much, because itā€™s a different platform.

Other than that, the recent Sony Fiscal Year forecast of $23.4bn makes me believe in $499 /$549 for PS5 Xbox Series X will be $499 and Lockhart will be $299 I just donā€™t think the huge PS5 is cheaper then Series X to produce.

Also it makes zero sense to subsidize the DE with $80 because margins on digital sales are better. People buy digital anyways. No matter if the console has a disk drive or not. Just to get from 75% digital sales to 85% digital sales you loose over $50 on each PS5 DE? Makes no sense from a business perspective.

1 Like

Frankly,i agree with this.

It depends a lot on who will go first with prices and the price of PS5D will be critical for Lockhart.

Agreed. Lockhart needs to be at least $129 cheaper than the PS5d to be the best value.

I predicted $499 for ps5, $429 for ps5d and $299 for Lockhart. $429 for ps5d seems the best balance it does have a very good saving over the disc version but at the same time it does not make the disc ps5 look overpriced.

Sony may just go to that magic $399 for ps5d because its makes sense, because of the better profits digital only will bring to sony, a vocal few will be pissed off they have to pay $100 more just for a disc drive but the benefits of a $399 machine far outweigh the negetives of a few angry physical media people.

I think this why we are seeing a game of price chicken, they both want the best value, if ps5d is $399 I think lockhart will be $279 or possibly $249

Iā€™m not very familiar with the platform being used for this forum, though I do like it so far. Is it possible to add polls to the top post for what we think the price of each console will be so we can see the consensus more easily? Iā€™d like to be able to look and see what people think for each of the currently announced consoles (aka PS5, PS5 digital, XSX)

2 Likes

Actually I donā€™t think 400ā‚¬ for the XSX is possible. But what speaks for it is the fact that if the PS5 without drive should cost 400ā‚¬ (which I think is quite possible), then MS has no other choice. The more powerful console for the same price as the PS5 is also a good argument in my opinion.

People donā€™t take into account the controllers and how much they cost to make which puts the price of the system up. With Xbox pretty much having a XB1 controller wtih an added button they wouldā€™ve save a ton of money from R&D and the controller should be cheaper which should drop the price of the console, now Iā€™m not saying itā€™s a $50-$100 saving but if it costs $475 to make the console they could save like $15 on the controller so they could sell the console for $450. That PS5 controller looks mighty expensive with all the haptic feedback stuff.

I always have this thing in my head about Lockhart that the team were tasked with making it as cheap as possible without compromising on quality.

So at all times during design they are thinking costs costs costs right down to the packaging used and how much it weighs and the volume.

I also think that itā€™s not really for now even though itā€™ll probably be available at launch. Itā€™s for those price battle times like black Friday and Xmas when your wanting to sell millions and folk are looking for bargains.

They need to get the marketing right because if not at launch then almost certainly by next holidays this is a $200 or less console that you can pick up and play 200+ games on for a $10 a month. Itā€™ll will have a 1080p compromise but itā€™s one that a lot of people wonā€™t notice and I expect itā€™ll come with a great 4k upscaler in it.

So I guess my point is that launch price is more important as a marketing tool rather than anything else as it will change. I think it will be $300/$500.

$500 US minimum for the higher SKUs Iā€™d say. With the PS5 digital, that is something they do to make the price more appealing imo, not lower it. So $500/$550 I think for PS5. And Microsoft, I could see them matching either for the X tbh. They seem like they will do anything to not lose out on the pricing war. So matching the digital PS5 is always possible but theyā€™d probably lose quite a bit on each unit. Lockhart, people always make the mistake of thinking these things will be cheaper than they will come in at imo. So I could definitely see a msrp of $400. Anywhere between $300-$400 is possible but I think higher is more likely than lower.

1 Like

remember, weā€™re talking about the company that launched the SAD Edition for 249 bucksā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™d guess $650 or $700 for Series X in Australia and $350-400 for Lockhart.

My guess would be (min) 50ā‚¬ less than PS5 for XSX. For XSS I could see 249ā‚¬, perhaps w/o controller as old accessories will still work.

I could also see MS bundling 1-3 months of GP, that way you could focus your advertisement on ā€žhook it up and play 100+ games for freeā€œ.

Iā€™ll go with 500 for series x and 349 for series s

SX and PS5 will be the same price. The DE PS5 will be in the middle, and the SS at the bottom of the ladder. Iā€™d expect nothing lower than $299

Xbox will be free, no charge at all! No seriously, whatā€™s up with these insanly low price suggestions. A next gen console for 249? Where the hell is this coming from?! Thatā€™s lower than current gen consoles! Why are people always exaggerating so hard that disappointment is inevitable. I feel a bit for the Xbox team. They absolutly canā€™t do anything to surprise you guys, because you all getting seriously ridiculous with your assumptions. I believe 599 for ps5, ps5 digital and xbox series x. I will give a price for Lockhart if itā€™s officially announced, right now there is nothing indicating its really coming.

Come back to this post in a few weeks

1 Like

Series X 500 Lockhart 300

Yes. Remember, we are 3 months away from release and supposedly there is an unannounced secret Xbox console that isnā€™t mentioned anywhere in the Xbox game boxes.

1 Like

Itā€™s rumored to be digital only, no reason to have it on retail game boxes. Anyway, itā€™s real. People have seen it.

1 Like

Just watching the XboxEra Podcast and I have to give it to sikamikanico. His Idea to make Xbox Live Gold free and convert all remaining month to Xbox Game Pass is genius. I also think turning auto renewal off is crucial for it to get no backlash. That combined with a cheap next gen xbox could be massive.

2 Likes