PlayStation 5 |OT| This SSD has no limits

On a side note…I REALLY want to play Ghost of Tsushima. I wasn’t interested at first but the more I see of it the better and better it looks.

I’m quoting this post from the Xbox OT but modified it to just include the game listed.

Anyone know what’s going on with Lost Soul Aside? I know Yang Bing has his team and studio but any chance it gets moved to PlayStation 5? Thanks.

it’s sooooo good. Last of Us is one of my favorite games ever but Ghost is above PT 2 for me this year.

I’m expecting Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart in the Spring. I would think that the game is done since it’s been worked on for the last few years. Demon’s Souls could be a launch title or sometime in 2021. I’m expecting Horizon 2 in early 2022. I don’t see it releasing in 2021. Fall 2021 will probably be Gran Turismo 7. I’m curious to see when Returnal releases. I agree with the Xbox stuff but we’ll see, maybe they have other stuff we don’t know about yet.

Ghost of Tsushima is freaking excellent. Finished it 10 days ago. It’s not only my 2019 game of the year but it bumped God of War out of my #2 spot for game of the generation. You should definitely give the game a chance.

Gran Turismo can’t carry a holiday season by itself though. The only caveat here is that Sony traditionally doesn’t release their big games during the second half of the year but that changed last year when Death Stranding came out.

I agree in general but look at what else released around Death Stranding. There wasn’t an RDR 2 or something to that affect. I don’t think Sony needs a top tier exclusive for Holiday 2021 because they know, they will sell regardless plus if they end having marketing deals or timed exclusives for Q4 2021, there’s no reason for them to throw their game out there.

Sony rarely releases their top tier in Q4. They had 2013 launch, DriveClub in 2014, Uncharted Collection in 2015, The Last Guardian in 2016, GT Sport in 2017 and Death Stranding in 2019. I would say Death Stranding is probably the biggest title or GT Sport.

We’ll see what they do when the time comes. I’m just not expecting anything outside of Gran Turismo 7 or maybe, a collection like Resistance perhaps? I could see that.

Ghost of Tsushima is amazing. Looks like Sony is going to come STRONG out of the gate. I originally thought everything they’ve shown is a 2021 title at the latest, and nothing has changed that opinion. MS will be great after 2022, but will be heavily reliant on GP and third party for a couple of years.

I hope you enjoy that game while you can, because in a few years it won’t be playable anymore. My PS3 just broke and now all I have is a collection of shiny frisbees.

Happy you like it :slight_smile: Welcome!

1 Like

The sequel to ghosts should be called Ghosts of Twoshima

3 Likes

I’d guess Ghost will be one of the games that plays on PS5. While I don’t expect a lot of backward compatible titles on PS5 if you’re of those that only ever brought the “big name” exclusives and multiplats you should be ok.

I kind of feel the opposite. This fall and the next I think Sony will rely on third party titles and timed exclusives.

Ms should still have halo and Forza next year to keep the ball rolling.

A lot of Sony’s start with the ps5 depends on miles, imo. Is it a big enough title? Will it push enough interest?

Hopefully assuming no delays, it shouldn’t be long to find out

Forza is early is development … I wouldn’t count on it next year. Honestly the only games we know about for next year at this time are Psychonauts, Flight Simulator at some point, and Halo. Psychonauts will be great, and most know my feeling about Halo since 343 took it over. It’s going to be interesting to see how fast MS can pump out some games, because they don’t appear close to ready for next generation right now. Not an ounce of gameplay from their showcase unless cross generation stuff. Third party titles will have to carry the system until 2022 … It would have been better for MS to wait a year, if Sony agreed to do so as well. They have the hardware, but the software isn’t close to ready yet

PS5 launch looks like Spider Man: Miles Morales and possibly Demon’s Souls Remake. 2021 will have Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart in the Spring and Gran Turismo 7 in the Fall.

XSX launch looks empty for most people since Halo Infinite was delayed into 2021. I am expecting Forza Horizon 5 in Fall 2021 but at the same time, I wouldn’t be surprised if Microsoft only released Halo Infinite and that’s it.

Since Gears 3/Uncharted 3 in Fall 2011, Sony has simply done a far better job when it comes to their first party exclusives, deals for exclusives like Until Dawn, The Order, Detroit, etc. and more times than not they work.

For Microsoft, they miss more than they hit and they revolved their XSX launch completely around Halo Infinite with no backup plan whatsoever and it’s biting them in the ass.

Comparing the PS5/XSX launches to PS4/XBO will be very interesting once it’s all said and done. 2021 to 2014, 2022 to 2015, etc. It will all be very interesting in my opinion.

Spider Man: Miles Morales alone is by far the best launch title that Sony has ever had.

The PS4 had no games until 18 months after its launch. Killzone Shadowfall and Knack were horrible. Infamous Second Son was mediocre. Driveclub was a flop. Their first great game was Bloodborne in 2015.

So much so that the joke was to call the PS4 “indiestation” because those were the only memorable games there. And PS fanboys kept repeating “I prefer PS because all games are going to look better there”. 1080p this, 1080p that.

This is revisionist history. Sony released many great games during the PS3 era, nobody cared. Because nobody buys consoles to play exclusives, they buy them to play Fifa, COD, Fortine, GTA, etc.

Knack wasn’t horrible. It was an above average game. Killzone was around a 7/10. Infamous Second Son while not for me in the 8 range. DriveClub should have been given another year. But fine it was around a 7/10 as well.

Bloodborne was the first excellent game but what did Xbox have? Until October 2016, the best Xbox exclusive by far was Rise of the Tomb Raider and it wasn’t even close.

I played and completed Knack, Ryse and Dead Rising 3. For me, 6.5/10, 7/10 and 7/10. 2015 wise, I had The Order and Until Dawn which were both a 7/10. Rise of the Tomb Raider was an easy 9/10. Excellent game and better than Uncharted 4 in my opinion.

People buy consoles for the multi-plats but because they are just that, multi-platform, people will go with the console brand that has the better exclusives for them.

The main difference is that between 2017-2020, Sony has simply dominated, has the brand name recognition, the popularity and confidence by the vast majority of gamers going into next gen.

I’m day one for both with Series X being my primary and PS5 being exclusives only but here’s the thing, im still buying PS5 despite the fact that I probably won’t play more than 10-15 games on it but that’s because their exclusives are established and for the vast majority of them will be top tier.

Microsoft simply isn’t at Sony’s level and hopefully they get their throughout the next generation but until they do, gamers are simply not going to have the confidence in Xbox like they do PlayStation. It’s that simple.

1 Like

tenor (11)

That’s certainly one opinion…

According to Wikipedia the first demon souls sold over 500,000 in n.america.

Dark souls sold 2.37million on 3 platforms (360,ps3, + pc)

Bloodbourne sold over 2million on PS4

So it does well, but its fans over embellish its importance.

Demon souls is kinda a odd game to remake, these games have always been about the gameplay.

1 Like

I was watching this:

And cerny gives us insight into the PS3s development, he talks about the motivations behind there decisions. I wonder if we will ever get something similar for PS5 because I struggle to believe it was the plan from the start to make a hunky chunky console that runs really hot, needs loads of power and cooling. These things have always tried to be avoided in console design.

Cerny also explains his role in the PS4 design, he explains its like making a game, where he is the director and some else is the producer who decides cost and other things. I wonder who was the producer for PS5? and what target cost he/she had for the PS5?

Mark Cerny’s role is Chief System Architect. The explication you said is pretty much spot on. He sets the goals for performance and designs the high level plans for how they will achieve the targets. There are a few interviews where he talks about the way he approaches design for hardware as being in service to the software. A great deal of the best work for graphics on the playstation hardware comes from the Sony ICE (Initiative for a Common Engine) team.

Luckily, I met one of the team when they were embedded in Brisbane QLD for production on two KROME Studios titles. He talked about the studio as being in service to make sure developers had access to the best practices when it came to working on low level systems. Really Incredible stuff and his talking on what they could do with the PS3 was phenominal. He did speak very highly of Mark, Saying that he tried as best he could to make sure that whoever wanted to spend the time learning the hardware would be able to show world changing results.

The producers for Sony on hardware are most likely working as the communication channels for Cerny. No singular person could keep the lines of communication open on all the hardware they would be looking at.