PlayStation 5 |OT| This SSD has no limits

Kena could be a hidden gem. But even if it is I expect it to be a smaller style game, like pikmin. Unless emberlab have some A.G.I , 14 People just cant deliver a large and highly polished game.

Curious to know what its gameplay loop is.

1 Like

People are sleeping on Astro’s Playroom

1 Like

I’m expecting around 15+ hours and a retail price of $40. It doesn’t have to be large. A great 15+ hour game that’s solid in every aspect, enjoyable, fun and technically sound will be more than good for me.

If I get a PS5, I REALLY want to get a PSVR but only if there is a wireless version. I know currently its a clusterfuck of cables and a fire hazard waiting to happen

Its not just about game length, its everything, how the game controls, the animation, how featured the game is etc. Its not a 2d game, its a 3d action platformer something is going have to be sacrificed or designed not to require many many devhours . I will be amazed if its even as polished and vast as uncharted lost legacy, it could well be the better game though.

To put things into perspective one of my favourite games this gen “inside” took over 5yrs to make with a dev team of 40.

I’m not sure what exact genre Kena is. I know adventure but open world, rpg-ish etc but 15-20 people working on it makes me doubt it’ll be more than 10 hours. I’d say something similar to Hellblade or Plague’s Tale.

Kena apparently boots in 2 seconds - that is one seriously fast SSD. That is a cold boot

Nope that is not from cold boot.

“In practice, we watched as Kena was launched from the PlayStation 5 system menu. It took about two seconds.”

Really hoping that Kena turns out to be real good as im looking forward to playing it when it eventually releases for Xbox Series X. Game looks great and the combat looks real good as well. Love seeing that when you defeat a boss, the entire area goes from “dead” to “alive” instantly.

Definitely a Zelda like action adventure. Not an rpg. Also, the game is not open world. There’s a hub but then it spans out into several regions, they called it a “wide-linear” world.

Same, together with Little Devil Inside I’m finding it the most exciting game that PS5 has coming at the moment, although Returnal also looks great, and I’m sure that Guerrilla won’t disappoint Horizon fans either.

I don’t care if it’s “a smaller game”, so were ReCore, SoD, Ori, and Cuphead, all of which I’ve enjoyed greatly. On the Xbox side I’m also looking forward to the likes of Tunic and Sable more than most of the big budget games. I also think that 8-15 hours is the optimal length for most types of games.

Tunic is gonna be a hit for sure. Its that cutesy Zelda game everyone will lap up for its aesthetic but is also deceptive in its challenge as it has some soulslike elements as well, which I’m perfectly on board with going by what I played in the recent Steam demo. It’s not too hard to take away from the chill experience, not too easy to make it functionally equivalent to a walking, cutting grass simulator. Also the music is sooooo good. Easily one of the more anticipated games for me.

I’

It is from cold boot. It wasn’t “resuming” the game at all. Face it, the PS5 SSD is just significantly faster, but the specs certainly say as much. I expect load times to be virtually non-existent on the PS5. Remember .8 seconds to load Spider-Man in the demo more than a year ago? It isn’t like this wasn’t expected

it wasnt from cold boot, but from the main menu:

“In practice, we watched as Kena was launched from the PlayStation 5 system menu. It took about two seconds”

and that loading is up to game’s main menu too.

SSDs are going to be a joy in both consoles, you just have to ease up a little on sipping that sony ssd cool aid. Had sony made a more powerful machine than xbox, their focus on describing that ssd would be 80% less. Sound too.

While it’s nice that this game loaded in 2s, I’m not sure how it can be used as a comparison to whatever it will load on SX given the game is not available on it yet. For example Astro’s demo on Geoff stream took a good 7-8s to load, which shows why loading times between 2 different games shouldn’t be directly compared.

For SX the only metrics we have are the 6s for quick resume, but that demo is saving the current game state and loading the new one too, so 3s to each (though in reality it’s very likely writing the game state takes way more time than loading it), and for the entire memory state of the game, not just the smaller set of data that would be required for the game to boot.

3s to load all that is quite fast too.

I think the PS5 will load faster, and the SX will be more than adequate. SX seems like the best value for the money from a power perspective, but the PS5 will perform similar in the end, somewhere less than the X. Really interested to see the DF comparisons. I think the SX is fantastic value at $499

The 3080 is going to smoke everything in a PC that cost 4X as much

Returnal looks great but my friend told me that he read on Reddit it’s a complete rogue game so if you go to the last chapter and die, you start from the beginning of the game. I really hope that’s not the case. Horizon II: Forbidden West is going to be amazing. I wish they would have showed gameplay though. Oh well.

As for Kena, im very interested in the game. I’m not interested in Tunic or Sable at all. I did try ReCore but it didn’t hold my attention long. SOD - im assuming you mean State of Decay. Enjoyed the first game but quit SOD 2 after 15 hours. SOD 3 better look like that freaking trailer. Went through the first world of Cuphead and dropped it. Ori quit after an hour or so. I am into Ori 2 though because they added an easy difficulty option, added autosave and the combat looks so much better.

Back to Kena, while im very interested in the game, I will be waiting for it to release on Xbox Series X before playing it. I have more positives to wait the year as opposed to playing it day one on PlayStation 5 and now that I have officially decided to wait until the Spring 2021 to buy PlayStation 5, I wouldn’t be able to play it anyway.

With that all said, it is guaranteed to be played eventually unless it turns out being bad.

It’s looking more and more like Demon Souls is going to be available at launch. It and Miles Morales are rated, and everything else is not - launch window. Will be interesting to see if Sackboy is launch as well, and Destruction car game since they have box art but no rating. Kena is the game that makes me want to buy the PS5, but I just have to show some patience … it doesn’t look like it will be available on PC at the same time as PS5 according to the GI article so Xbox could be more than a year of waiting, which sucks

I don’t see it being more than a year because Sony paying these high amounts of cash for timed exclusivity on games that quite simply are not console sellers is baffling to me. I’m expecting their timed exclusives to all be a maximum of one year because I can’t see Sony being stupid enough to pay all this extra money for minimal to no gain.

I’ll buy PS5 in the Spring when Ratchet releases and pick up Miles Morales as well. The PS5 will only be for full console exclusives and that’s it. Those other games could be launch titles but for me, they don’t interest me whatsoever.

Right now, I have Horizon II: Forbidden West, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and Spider Man: Miles Morales as guaranteed playthroughs. Returnal is 50/50. Everything else is of no interest.

1 Like

I’m fine with roguelites, Everspace is one of my favourite games of the generation, and I’m looking forward to the sequel (which will have a different structure, however).