Phil Spencer: Bethesda will be critical for XBOX's future

I separate those games. Arkane makes primarily immersive sims and the original Prey is more a shooter with portal elements.

If there would ever be a sequel to the original Prey Arkane probably won’t make it. This would be better suited for Id… but those guys are knee deep in Doom.

1 Like

Sea of Thieves too.

It just wasnt what I thought it was going to be but they do have the studio they made from former HumanHead so they could make oirginal Prey 2 that said I hope its a new IP by Arkane

1 Like

Yeah, Prey 2017 is said to be great and the Mooncrash expansion is said to be even better but I wasn’t referring to the 2017 game, I was referring to Prey 2 that was developed by Human Head in which you play as a bounty hunter. Just watching that walkthrough via GameSpot from E3 almost a decade ago gives me goosebumps of what the game would look like now.

1 Like

I will only accept The Quiet Man 2 from Human Head/Roundhouse.

Is that studio Roundhouse? If so, they should start working on the original Prey 2 immediately!!!

1 Like

Ya I would be so happy if they did that

1 Like

Me too. I was watching the walkthrough of Prey 2 from E3 years ago via GameSpot and it looked like Deus Ex/Cyberpunk/sci-fi world which looked great. Come on Phil, make it happen!!!

1 Like

Hopefully the deal will be finalized soon. And if not Starfield, hopefully Bethesda has a surprise in store this year.

1 Like

More and more hints that Bethesda titles will indeed be exclusive. I feel anyone thinking otherwise is setting themselves up for massive disappointment.

5 Likes

Yep!

And if you think about it, it makes so much sense too. They have great promising studios with Obsidian, NT, inXile and so on, but in terms of popularity they just don’t touch Bethesda, that’s just the truth. MS would spend billions of dollars on them and then keep them multiplatform while their big aim is to keep increasing GP subs? Might as well have kept Obsidian, NT, inXile, Compulsion etc multiplatform too then. Nah.

I think people really underestimate the sheer mass appeal a game like Skyrim 2 (ES6, of course) will have. Though I’m sure MS doesn’t. That is 100% a console selling game, which yes MS doesn’t care about as much, but they do still care.

I also think core gamers are sleeping a fair bit on how well an xcloud app could work on tvs. I gave Stadia a shot a couple days ago with a chromecast ultra and their controller, and it honestly felt amazing. I could barely notice any input lag, and even then only when I looked deeply for it.

3 Likes

I been saying it right from the get go and it absolutely should be with sony after time and time again screwing gamers over with the bullshit exclusive deals

Non exclusivity is just a bad business decision with new games on a new console. Mobile + PC + Xbox Consoles is a big enough user base and you don’t have to split resources.

It comes down to opportunity costs. So if they’re super deep into a PS5 version, they could release it half a year later. Other than that, content, price and platform is what drives adoption of consoles.

Why would you give up your upper hand on content. This is the first time since ealry 360 days, Microsoft has the better content, platform and price. You need to capitalize on that.

During the Xbox One era they were second in 2 of those areas. Just the 2 areas changed over time.

Yes.

Also, inXile needs to devote all it’s resources to Hunted: The Demon’s Forge 2.

No.

Fanboys still adamant that bethseda games will still be on ps5 maybe the live service ones but the big AAA single player like starfield and elderscrolls i think will be exclusive

1 Like

You’re right, inxile alone may not be enough for such an important IP. They should have a support team from The Coalition helping out too!

1 Like

Thankfully, these two games will never ever happen.

2 Likes

ESO and Fallout 76 are already available on competing platforms so there is no reason to stop supplying that user base with the newer content considering they already paid for it and are most likely subscribed/will be buying new expansions meaning recurring revenues for MS.

Is Zenimax Online’s new mmo going to be everywhere though? I could see it, but then again I could see it being Xbox/PC exclusive. With 50 million Xbox one user base along with the new console owners and people on Gamepass on PC it could bring big enough numbers to skip PS4/5 entirely.

I wonder if MS is actually trying to make Gamepass happen on Steam, and having Bethesda on board was the push they needed to attract a huge user base there? I just wonder how the revenue split would work with Valve. I’m guessing they’d need to deal something fixed, like 10-15% of sales of Gamepass. I think that’s what MS needs on the PC side to make Gamepass explode; it needs Steam.