Persona 5, what happened?

Yeah, also Yakuza is creepy in many aspects, but having a non-anime look is more acceptable IMO.

Eh, in Persona 5 you play a 16 year old who can enter into a romantic relationship with his ~ 30 year old teacher (and even before that, her social link shtick is calling her round to your pad as a maid!)

There’s a ton of other examples, but yeah, the game is plenty creepy.

I still want it on Xbox though because the things it does well it does really well - even if it means wading through the creepy stuff to get there

3 Likes

Yep, this is a major point @pg2g It’s incredibly creepy given the games moralistic standing on sexual predators in a similar situation but with the female students. There are more examples, I wouldnt like to repeat in case of spoilers but the game is super creepy.

Add to that the game being seemingly alright with a 16 year old being able to “win” the romance of older women in positions of power over him, yet with zero representation for LGBTQIA+ options, and the only two gay characters played as predatory “mincers” flouncing over another 16 year old and forcing their attentions onto him despite his pleas of “no” and that playing in the game as a comedic moment.

Persona 5 is gorgeous and mechanically amazing fun, but in a myriad ways its creepy.

Here’s Laura Kate Dale on how Royale “Fixed” issue (read, didnt)

Is the scene slightly less graphic in its implications? Sure. Does that make it any better of a situation? Not really. The game gains nothing from this joke, and the edited version doesn’t fix the primary problem with the premise: Two older men ignore a teenager’s pleas to be left alone, and force him to do something he doesn’t want to do. The setup is different, but the results are pretty much the same. LGBT people don’t respect your boundaries, the game implies, and will force their desires on your unwilling kids.

And that’s an idea that has caused many people actual pain in the real world.

Here’s a quick summation from that article and she is right, the original scene caused me to stop playing because of exactly that kind of horrid subtext, and frankly that kind of low grade homophobia is what leads exactly to things like what is happening in Hungary this week. Its fucking disgusting and it should be cut.

3 Likes

As per my prior rant, Yes, yes it is. :slight_smile: (Post Rant Cerys is allowed a modicum of flippancy for the sake of brevity).

And the “romance sidequests” are known as the “Social Links” one of, if not the main gameplay mechanic in the game, certainly a lot of players play more for them than the actual dungeon crawling. Its a fun mechnic too, you make decisions of what to do with your time, who you spend time with and doing what it can make the game feel very personal.

The creepiness comes from if you feel uncomfortable roleplaying as teenagers and then like @Hix says where the game has you become romantically involved with your Teacher as part of one of the links.

1 Like

Worth noting that the creepy things in P5 don’t exist, really, in previous entries in the series such as P4G - and indeed would not even fit thematically

P4G is probably a top 10 video game ever for me and I enjoyed my time with P5 (though with considerably more caveats and a good bit of text skipping in certain social links) The vibe, the feel, the music, the story, the addictive persona collecting, the amazing characters, the dialogue and the battles, all top notch. Xbox needs this series of it’s ever to be taken seriously by fans of the JRPG genre, even with it’s flaws

1 Like

Largely I agree Hix there isn’t the same icky creepiness but there is the same insidious Homophobia in P4G which I recall strongly.

On the camping trip the terrible one asking… (OH jeez I forgot the names) asking Kanji.

“What are you?”, “Are you…”, “Will we be safe in this tent tonight with you” once again painting gay men as predators constantly walking the tightrope between benevolence and sexual assault. And again rather than take the moment to highlight the dehumanising aspect of those questions and how harmful that is as an idea its played for a “laugh”.

Like you say there is so much to laud in Atlus’ games and they should be something for xbox only users to want to play and be able to play, but Atlus fumble what should be a simple ask time and time again. Can you please stop making the LGBTQIA+ community the butt of every joke in such a cruel and dangerous way please.

2 Likes

Why would Xbox dump all their Sega Game Pass deals at the E3 show?

The deal is signed. The Persona’s are coming, it just won’t be until later in the year.

2 Likes

How can you be so sure about a game that never landed on Xbox in the first place?

Nick and Jez.

The deal fell through due to a contract issue with another party…

Not familiar with every poster here, but is this coming from a place of knowledge?

Sucks if true

No offense, but I take what you say with a huge grain of salt because ALOT of the shit you teased at E3 didn’t happen.

Source? It wouldn’t surprise me, I already said multiple times that Sony will do anything they can to prevent Persona on Xbox, considering their considerably smaller 1st party and lack of investment in Japan. Anyway without sources it’s like a random post from Resetera.

I dont know FeiEx but Persona not being there didnt really strike me as surprising and the good old “fell due to X” isnt really believable to me.

Same, they are pushing SMT V and a Persona port announcement would totally detract from that.

Let’s face it though, ATLUS are weird. P4G made bank on Steam and would do the same on Xbox and Switch, yet nothing. Switch gets Strikers, a sequel to vanilla Persona 5, though, for some reason.

Rand, a few days before E3, said he felt good about Hades but that the time wasn’t right for Persona. I expect it’ll happen, but it not happening now isn’t indicative of a deal falling through etc.

Yes, they are not making descisions based on business that’s for sure. Must be something else, so it’s probably down to individuals in charge being unstable.

You should be more clear if you have inside info or if you’re speculating.

Just a whole boatload of nothing thats what. No doubt it will eventually come to Game Pass at which point all the insiders can say they were right. And so the circle continues.

Amen! It’s very difficult to reconcile the things I love about these games with these totally gratuitous cheap shots. It also makes them practically impossible to recommend without being upfront about the shitty own goals they insist on making. From what I’ve heard, the homophobic, transphobic, misogynistic, and fatphobic stuff is mostly because of this asshole (grain of salt).

My dream scenario is that Sega cleans house of the people who are letting this happen and rerelease the games on modern platforms with all the heinous crap ripped out. It’s hardly fundamental to the overall experience, and it wouldn’t be difficult to change a few things in the spoilered bit you and Hix were talking about.

Atlus is absolutely headed up by dinosaurs. Look at their stance on streaming games if you need proof.

2 Likes

He’s talking out of his arse