OLED or QLED For next gen

What do u guys think about this?

Watched the review by Digital Trends of the S95B and also a user review on a Dutch tech forum. Digital Trends tested it with a Xbox and he said it was a huge hassle to get games looking good. Lots of games looked washed out at first because DTM is always on and it doesn’t respond well to the HDR calibration thingy on Xbox.

User review talked about how it took him hours and hours to get it right for PS5, he was just damn tired of it and he pities those that buy the TV and expext things to look good out of the box. It doesn’t. He doesn’t even remember anymore what he did to get games finally looking right.

What the hell man. Sounds extremely annoying. C9 was perfect out of the box.

1 Like

well, in the video he sure looks like transferring the lg oled complains and problems to samsung’s oled “I dont really notice it but I hear folks complaining about it all the time”, for abl. Now, “all the time” surely refers to lg, since s95b just went on the market. He then -after complaining for the best part- adds at the very end “but as abl goes, in this tv is much less aggressive than in ‘other oled tvs’ we’ve seen in the past”

Likewise, his “problems” to set the tv for a good hdr picture are bogus. you got one slider to put up or down in the hdr consoles menu just by tapping the d-pad. If he really has so much trouble doing that, then maybe he is in the wrong line of business.

my2c’s: dont eat up articles like this :wink:

You mean Digital Trends? Hmmm I see.

But also the user review, I forgot to say what he wrote.

He said it was a huge bitch to get it setup right for games. Apparently he got so frustrated that he was considering putting back his old plasma TV. Says it truly took him many hours to actually get HDR to look right, but also lots of issues with soundbar and audio dropping. But that’s not relevant now.

He’s on PS5 and games looked unnatural, overly vivid in terms of colour and contrast. He doesn’t understand the settings at all and he just can’t remember anymore what he did to get it to look right finally. Says he had many other issues like how the PS5 keeps booting up as soon as the TV UI goes back to “recent”. I’ve heard of this issue before, when it’s with PS5.

He’s disappointed that ten years back with his plasma all he had to do was check AVforums and use those settings and done. He finds the S95B overly complex. Says it’s not a TV for someone that expects graat out of the box experience, expect to be busy for a while.

He does say that once it’s all done it’s a superb TV for gaming. I don’t know, now reading that he comes from a plasma it’s not wonder that he had some issues with getting HDR right.

It seems on Xbox you just have to do the three steps in the calibrator app, first one to the left until you see nothing, and the other two to the right until you don’t see the pattern. That’s all it should take, right? And of course enable game HDR on the Sammy.

2 Likes

yeap, and its the same on ps5 too -only its the 3rd step where you go all the way down. also you have to disable all “eco-friendly” bullshit

1 Like

Jesus, if that’s all it is it’s no different than with any tv today. With my C9 I had to do this too. Enable deep colour on TV and use hdr thingy app on Xbox and follow those steps. Plus with that app thingy you can see the values even now, so you can put 1000 for the nits.

I don’t get why Digital Trejeds made such a issue out of it. He didn’t do this for other TVs?

I’ve watched a lot of various review/preview videos so I cant recall exactly where but I remember one of them talking about issues where the display would forget the settings you made and silently revert back to something else. I dont recall if HDTVTest Vincent said that was one of the bugs they fixed or one of the bugs still happening.

Everyone’s overall opinion seemed to be amazing QD-OLED panel technology but horrible Samsung control implementation.

Yeah I recall that too. We discussed it here too. I think it was either Keep it Classy Tech or Tech with KG. Color Gamut would keep resetting iirc.

QN95 vs CX , gaming video, ps5 games

First up is demons souls, a very dark game, so its close. After that though, party begins

I will definitely watch this later.

Interesting video. In some parts I preferred the LG and in others the Sammy.

Resident Evil 3 really shows the difference. Specular highlights like neon signs and things like that clearly win on Samsung, but overall contrast is just way better on LG.

1 Like

I wrote before about the different ways and difficulties to record a pair of tvs. this one is trying a simultaneous recording of both. good. but thats why he keeps on changing the camera brightness -and also talks about his difficulty and what he is seeing. So keep in mind that what you are perceiving as better contrast , in reality is a much smaller difference between the brightest and the darkest.

The difference between the two is much higher than this video shows. He tries to find a recording setting where both capture good. and that means most of the time losing the superior brightness range of qn95. That’s why I told you from the start -and most sincere testers also point this out- that you will understand only if you see them with your own eyes next to each other. on brightness range they are not even close. practically a day-night thing.

2 Likes

But I read somewhere that games top out about 1000 nits, that would mean all the 1300 or even 1700 nits some tv’s provide go to waste, or not necessarily?

In both SDR and HDR I think it said.

not true. maybe an oled promoter said so :]

even in the video you posted, on cyberpunk part he has set 1500 nits with 2.5 midpoint, and he clearly says “do not use these settings on cx as it can’t display them without a whole load of clipping, while they are close to my perfect settings on qn95”. (and I’m 100% sure that he means for “perfect” changing the midpoint mapping to something a little lower, and not changing the 1500 nits brightness setting) He is right saying that cyberpunk after the hdr patch became one of the best examples of hdr game. especially on the mini led that can go up the scales.

also, do not forget the ability of tv to project even 1000 nits for a period of time that is more than a few seconds, and not only on very small parts of the screen (highlights). typical example playing a game with a bright horizon. on 50% sustained window, cx is about 300nits, very-very far from 1000. and that’s before abl kicks in:

edit: here’s a nice post from evil boris for ref

1 Like

On this tech forum that I check to see comments from owners of the S95B I now see several complaints about blooming. I believe KG or Classy talked about this too, and in some cases it’s very distracting in games. One guy previously owned a Q9FN and is very disappointed that this QD OLED now seems to have it as well. They assume it’s the anti reflection coating causing it.

And like Classy or KG also said it really is a bitch to clean, the screen that is, a accidental smudge or fingerprint on it will be hard to get off. And what doesn’t help is it’s apparently very easy to get micro scratches on it. Overblown or legit issues? I don’t know, I do know I never had any of this with my C9.

Do we have a S95B owner here?

My 2 cents: Don’t eat up articles/videos from no-name Youtube channels, especially when their experience differs greatly from experts and professionals.

Edit: I direct this to anyone in general, and am happy to see sites like Rtings referenced on this thread - it’s not the be-all-end-all by any means, but their quantitative approach is pretty great (not so much for audio I’d argue though lol).

1 Like

Question: LFC is source dependent so as long as I’m running the Series X at 120fps it shouldn’t matter if I’m using HDMI forum VRR or AMD freesync, right?