OLED or QLED For next gen

well, “dislike” is a strong word as we are talking for a very high image quality in all these sets, but I agree. beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. unless when not inside a dark room, then there is no comparison.

Yep, in that video the S95B is indeed dimmer. Then I wonder what’s going on in the first two videos I posted. Both different channels too where we can see the S95B next to the QN90B and at the part where he shows games like FH5 you can definitely see the QN being more dim than the S95B. The guy too says he was hoping for examples where the QN really pulled ahead in terms of brightness, but says that the S95B kept up with it and for most scenes it looked almost identical, if not better. We see it with the golf game as well.

Strange these differences.

Sadly there is no store here that has both on display here. The S95B is pretty much only available online. So that would mean I have to order one and test it at home, but no side by side comparisons for me unfortunately.

in a month or two I think s95b’s will be out on the stores for demos. worst case scenario, if you want to buy one now, you can always compare to your c9 and be very happy :wink:

1 Like

Yeah I wanted to ask that. My C9 is about 800 nits, little below I think, the S95B is about 1000? So it’s a little more than 200 nits.

But it makes that much of a brightness difference in HDR (gaming)? The QN is like 1700 nits, but I probably should not get too hung up on numbers, because apparently games max out at 1000 if the video I saw is true.

If the decision will be made to get the S95B it’s not gonna be this year. The QN95a I can afford, but not the QN90B or S95 this year. What the guy in the video said about shadow detail and dark areas becoming grey and it being hard to go back to that for OLED owners…has me very doubtful that the tech is for me. But he did talk about the older one, the QN90a, so this probably is improved on the QN95a.

There is more to Dolby Vision than gaming, such as media playback services. That is roughly 60-75% of what I use my display for. Not having a standard as an option is daft when paying substantial money for a display.

1 Like

So I’ve not been following along but want to say a few things;

Dolby Vision looks much nicer than HDR10+ imo. IMAX Enhanced mode looks a little bit better than Vision. Film Maker mode looks meh. For me it’s;

IMAX>Dolby Vision IQ>Dolby Vision>HDR10+>Standard HDR

And no, I’m not talking about the IMAX resolution change thing with Disney+ but the real IMAX enhanced mode that’s included in 2022 TVs.

The only things I’ve seen with DV are on Netflix, Prime and Disney + but I wish I could disable it and use HDR10 so that I can check it out and compare with that. Before my C9 I had Q9FN and that only had HDR10 but I honestly cannot say which I prefer more. In games it would be easier to tell for me, but so far the only real DV game on Xbox is Halo. Wonder if DV will ever truly blow up on console gaming.

As for IMAX mode, which tv’s have that?

sn95b is brighter that your c9 and more vivid. furthermore, it has much less aggressive ABL

that being said, when you are looking at a 50% or more window with constant brightness (typical game) they are in the ballpark of 200-300 nits, with abl kicking in too. qn95a has triple or quadruple or more than that, and without abl. and these values are after all tvs have been calibrated to “movie” standards (which in my opinion is shit for games)

samsung’s oled is the best and brightest oled. but still its hdr brightness is less that my 2 year old q85t. what I did personally when I saw that, is that I bought the qn95a instead which is a BIG step up from q85 in all things, and I got a great deal for it, and in 1 or 2 years time when samsung has evolved further their qd oled or launched their mini, or even if lg or someone else has managed to solve the oled hdr sustained brightness puzzle, I’m ready to buy again. at the meantime, I enjoy them games to the best of my liking. bright and colorful

I cannot disagree with you. its just that I buy my tvs with gaming as the absolute first and most important factor.

Thanks man.

Yeah my only worry are the things one of the guys talked about in the videos. That if you come from OLED it’s gonna “fall apart” for you, meaning shadowy areas that should be dark, black looking grey and bloom. But he was talking about the QN90a there, which is older. I also noticed how many YouTubers say all those TVs are great but S95B is the best allrounder. While it won’t get the brightest, you do get the best of both worlds.

I think if I really want to see for myself I should just order the QN95a and test my XSX with it, check out if I indeed notice these things or not at all. I’ll make sure it’s from a store that accepts returns within a certain amount of time if the TV is just not to my liking. I mean I can keep watching YouTube videos but that’s not ideal.

Plus the S95B is like 2700 euros here. By the way, ABL. I keep reading about that but I don’t have any of that on the C9. Did have that with the C6 years ago though.

1 Like

There is not a chance in hell you will see grayish blacks on qn95a. Take a look again at the very first two videos I posted yesterday. in the virtual japan one, in a dark room, you can see more dark detail than on the c1 while blacks are blacks. and that second video, showing horizon 5 side by side. when comparing the two, oled seems very washed out. or this one

Also remember: qn95b difference to qn95a is just software. if you can get a great deal on qn95a, I say get that

Another thing to note - I’d highly recommend you go for a 1000-1500+ nit TV in 2022. Anything under 1000 not just isn’t really acceptable any more. Unless it’s an amazing OLED at 900 nits maybe. It’s almost the real cut off point from fake to real HDR.

Edit: I saw C9 mentioned. Fantastic contrast. Has some next gen features. However, it doesn’t have IMAX or Film Maker mode, so feels like a 2020 TV more than 2022 too.

780 nits is NOT next gen. It’s barely just HDR. But it’s just about /ok/ considering it’s OLED. Overall, it seems like a brilliant TV for 2021. I’d avoid now it’s 2022 and there are much better options, some of which are cheaper too. No, I won’t be listing the better options etc, it would take ages and you’d be better in an AV forum.

WOLEDs and LCDs are relics now. QD-OLED, MiniLED and MicroOLED displays will be the future.

1 Like

The C9 is a 2019 display set. The last digit is the year, except when you see CX where the X means 20 as in 2020.

1 Like

Yeah there’s a part where on the LG some detail is missing, at first it seemed the blacks were better but then I noticed the detail that you do see on the Sammy.

I bought the C9 in January 2020. I had returned the Q9FN because of the many, many issues and with a little extra money I went for the C9. It’s a superb TV but during daytime it’s just not ideal, and HDR wise it indeed isn’t top of the line anymore. I think even other WOLED sets from last year and this year are higher nits than my C9, but it probably still isn’t close to the QD OLED S95B. So whether I end up with that or a Neo QLED, brightness wise it’s going to be a huge improvement.

My head is starting to spin with all these names, Neo QLED, MicroLED, MiniLED. The QN95a is a MiniLED, so that’s good to know.

I’m probably going to end up ordering the QN95a and test it out for myself. If I buy a HDMI splitter I can display Xbox games on both TVs simultaneously, right?

1 Like

Thats not really a proper way of doing it since you want the console to be set and fined tuned and calibrated to make the most out of each set individually. Using an HDMI splitter means the console will only be dialed into one set at a time so the other set will be handicapped by definition.

1 Like

Oh shit, you are 100% right. How did I not think of that. One set needs totally different HDR settings than the other as well. So side by side comparisons isn’t going to happen, but that’s OK.

Got a second console you can borrow? Lolz.

At the least you should be able to do side by side for media playback of streaming services, assuming the new set will have decent app support natively.

Honestly - Mini-LED seems to be the way to go if you want bright, high quality HDR, and OLED if you want pure black but poorer HDR. It all comes down to preference but Mini LED is a game changer. IMO it’s the true next gen tech.

I’ve watched several videos on YouTube of the S95B and while it indeed isn’t as bright as the Miniled, it does come very close. With several games I saw the S95B keeping up really well.

I do have to say that I really love the pure blacks on OLED, it remains to be seen if Miniled is going to be for me. We shall see. :slight_smile:

1 Like