OLED or QLED For next gen

I’ll definitely do that.

And things like ghosting, bloom?

1 Like

straight up I can tell you where to find bloom if you want to look for it… example, forza horizon 5 when loading, bottom right there is a small bright white round icon rotaing on a black screen. look there, and you will notice it. when gaming though… no, not at all, only rich vivid colors and blacks, all with sustained high brightness no matter how long they remain on screen. put an oled next to it and oled looks …dull

1 Like

Hmmm, well, I’m intriguiged. After Summer game Fest I’m gonna look some stuff up on YouTube.

here are a couple to get you started

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-4FrUe21C4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LZFojMh9pQ (make sure to watch horizon 5 side by side after 5th minute)

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s Microled. It‘s just better than WOLED due to the Quantum Dot layer for which it doesn’t require a white subpixel.

the black levels of the qn95a is as close as it can get to an oled. Its impressive if you think the difference of the technologies. Screen uniformity is excellent on my panel, Viewing angles are very good but if you watch from an angle oled will be better. Blooming is non issue. Never seen it in movies, In games if there is a logo loading u might notice it but with quck resume on xbox i almost never see loading screens :rofl: No ghosting too

The big plus is the brightness is great and no burn in risk. No need to baby sit the tv. I hate when i hear prople say just close the tv after 4h. No i dont want to. Some days my tv is all day on. As for brightness if u get used to it u cant go back to a dimmer tv. And i need the brightness since i want to use my tv in daylight which might be a problem with oled because i have two big windows in my room.

and this tv linus is using is with an ADS panel not VA like qn95a which means the latter has even better blacks

1 Like

It seems they are covering the QN90A here, right? I looked at the prices for the 65 inch version and it’s 1348 euros which is a very nice price. The 75 inch version is 2188 euros, which is still very affordable too.

But if I were to go for this I should look at the QN95a not the QN90a? The 65 inch QN95a is 1498 euros.

Also, when I had the Q9FN I noticed a significant picture quality difference between game mode and the other picture modes. Is that still the case? If I were to ever make this decision I don’t want a worse picture quality than I have with my C9 now. I noticed a significant clarity difference between Q9FN and C9.

get the qn95 @Staffy it has the one connect box giving you 4X 2.1 vrr hdmi ports making it good for all your xbox/pc/ps5 needs, plus I think it always comes with the VA panel

I’m gonna do some research, I really shouldn’t rush any of this. But I do notice the more i game during the day the more the reflections of everything in my room start to annoy and it’s not even a crazy bright room, it’s just not pitch black, some daylight coming in via one window and the other window has a curtain that blocks the sun.

But I do love the crispness, the clarity of my C9, and how it isn’t overly colorful. With the Q9FN I noticed how a lot of games just looked too vibrant, too colorful. I guess that’s Samsung and I’m sure with the right settings i can get it to look similar to C9. For games like Fortnite or Spyro those vibrant colors are great, but not for many other games.

You just use game mode?

i haven’t noticed any difference between game mode and other picture modes. In fact because i had read this too i tried various games and game mode was way better looking than the other picture modes. For u if u want a tv now its either qn95a or s95b. Going from c9 to a C2 its not worth it for me. You are not gaining anything special. S95b though is a bit expensive so if u want to stay on oled maybe wait for black Friday deals or even a year.

u can play with the settings to make colors like you want them. These new tvs within 15sec in the settings can make them look really close.

there are a bunch of videos on youtube from people that have both lg c1/c2 and qn95, showing the way to make the pic on the qled look like c1 is to set brightness from 3 to 8 (out of 50)

not sure why you’d want to do this :smiley: but hey, if you want to, you can do it

Yea as of now that is the only thing keeping me from jumping in. I have a 55 inch 2015 era 4k HDR samsung, it was one of the first true 4k hdr TV’s and this thing has been amazing as I’ve had it for over 6 years and it still looks great and can still compete.

But I would like a QD Oled with Dolby vision but I’m not willing to pay a Sony tax on it.

So hopefully my TV lasts another year or so and I’ll have more choices for a QD OLED as that tech seems to be on the right pace.

2 Likes

Yeah if I get a new TV it’s not gonna be a other WOLED, it is going to need something new, better.

So if I understand correctly you went from a C9 to a Sammy QN95a? I ask this because for me it’s very important that someone that recommends me a TV has had this TV too or at least the same tech. I love OLED but it isn’t “OLED or go home” for me, if other tech comes around and is on par with it and even cheaper too…I’m not going to ignore it.

For me it’s very important that there’s no blooming, (or like ya’ll said only in loading screens, if that’s all, I can live with that, as long as it’s not during gameplay.) no ghosting, none of those issues. Coming from a Q9FN to a C9 was such a relief in that regard. I did miss the brightness, but all the issues were non present.

Sadly with a new TV you always have to take into account panel lottery. With my C9 I’ve been lucky, no banding, no DSE, a white background for the most part is white but ever so slightly a bit of green in it, but it doesn’t distract. As for the S95B it still wouldn’t be as bright as the QN95a, still significantly brighter than my C9 but I’m not necessarily dead set on getting OLED again if the Neo QLED tech is almost on par too.

Compared to when you had OLED, what do you like best about the Sammy?

Oh I would never do that with the brightness, I meant more like the natural look of how games look in Game mode. On the Q9FN I found things to look a bit too artificial, a bit too colorful, great for some games, others not so much.

I’m in a position now that I can keep my current TV and just get another one. First time in my life I can do this, previously I had to sell my current TV first before being able to afford another one. So I can do side by side comparisons, sort of, because I only have one XSX. Unless there’s a way I can have one game on two different screens at the same time, haha.

I bought a Q90T over a year ago and at the time had the extra for a OLED but the rep asked where my tv was going to be and as the living room gets a lot of light he recommended the Q90T so it’s another factor to consider.

There’s a great guy on YouTube https://youtube.com/c/hdtvtest

Reviews of all the latest ones and the best settings for games etc.

1 Like

Did some YouTube checking and found some really interesting results. These are all quality channels too. Tech with KG, Keep it Classy Tech etc.

The most interesting find is that the S95B actually outperforms the QN90B in terms of brightness. I was watching the video and immediately saw it and that’s something I did not expect. Can be seen here and here, and make sure to watch them in HDR on YouTube too.

In the next video we see OLED G1 vs QN90a and while the latter does a lot of things right like bright areas in games like Sea of Thieves and neon lights in WD Legion, it’s shadow details, shadowy areas where it isn’t nearly as good as OLED where as the guy says shadows start to fall apart, they become grey areas and he also speaks of blooming. Says that once it becomes nighttime in SoT it’s where the TV kinda struggled.

Says that the TVs local dimming doesn’t work as well in Game mode as it does in movie mode. If you’ve always been an LCD/back-lit TV user this is not gonna bother you at all. But if you come from an OLED he says, it’s not gonna work for you. You get to these areas where light starts to leak into it and it blooms or turns those dark areas grey. If used to OLED it’s going to look like it’s falling apart to you.

1 Like

S95B does not outperform the QN90 in brightness. its not even close. for example in the last video you posted, guy says that he put brightness in 15 (out of 50), because otherwise his fixed camera shows like overburn the huge difference in brightness, while that’s not the case when your eyes dont have the camera’s limitations.

some videos state their methods of shooting, like for example, you might be seeing a side by side synchronous comparison, but in reality its filmed twice, one for each tv, then edited and synchronized. this is also done because the difference is big enough that depending your camera and settings, either one screen will look overburned or the other completely washed out and dim. again on that last video, guys talks about sot night problems, but the video shows no problem.

here’s a concurrent side-by-side-by-side of s95b-qn90a/b

pay attention to the fact that both qn tvs are set to only 70% brightness and 80% of their contrast and with contrast enhancers on low, just in order to have a comparative image to sn95b on full and avoid camera problems. another thing to keep in mind is that the only difference between qn90a and b is the software algorithms, so using the exact same (mid) settings on both is not the best way to bring the best image of each.

I think the best thing you can do is locate and visit a tv store that has both qn and c1/2/sn95b open for demo. Let your eyes be the judge

But the last video shows QN90a versus G1. That one isn’t about the brightness difference. The first two videos are. Or did you mean the second video? I’ll go watch the video you posted.

I was referring to the first part of your comments:

I think it all comes down to preference.

I strong prefer Mini-LED or QLED to OLED personally from experience, but some will prefer OLED.

It’s always been the great battle of contrast vs brightness. I just dislike how OLED looks personally. Screen burn in is also a gigantic turn off. Happened to me a few times and it’s not worth it.

1 Like