OLED or QLED For next gen

1 Like

I just upgraded my OLED65C9 to a C1 (not to the C2 because of the issues I heard about). I think until there is a new HDMI Standard this will be my TV. Btw I don’t have any fear about burn-in because the TV is only used for gaming and streaming and doesn’t run all day anyway.

2 Likes

HDTVTest’s review of the Samsung QD-Oled

1 Like

This thread began with LG’s WOLED then now we are at Samsung’s superior QD-Oled which is the true RGB OLED…and it will finally end when there will be wide adoption of MicroLED.

I took the plunge and ordered a LG C1 from my Nanocell this week. Arriving on Thursday and looking forward to it.

2 Likes

I was set on buying an S95b, but did a 180 degree turn when I found out it has less HDR brightness than my current Q85.

For me (tv purchases are game-oriented), this would be a downgrade, not an upgrade.

Since I was already hot to buy a new tv, I went for QN95

Very-very happy with the purchase, this is a true HDR upgrade from where I was

1 Like

Thought I’d post this here too.

My current game is RDR2 and I was beyond frustrated with the HDR. Beautiful sun light effects on water and through trees in the forests, but also a night time that looked way too bright and with elevated black levels too. I switched between HDR10 and SDR because SDR does give proper dark night times but you do miss out on the beautiful sun light effects, it truly makes a big difference. Also tried to alter my TV brightness to get a proper dark night in the game, but then daytime would be too dim.

Googled it. Found a thread on Reddit in the OLED subreddjt and one person gave a tip for the ingame HDR settings and it has fixed all my issues. Basically you…

Put HDR style to Game. Peak brightness maxed out at 10000 and paper white maxed out at 500. I thought this was going to be horrible, well it actually is perfect now. Proper dark night times where things like campfires really stand out and daytime nice and bright.

Better than OLED, for the living room. According to TCL.

2 Likes

Is it better than QD-OLED though?:thinking: Anyways this is good enough until MicroOLED becomes a thing.

1 Like

Good question.

But for now I’ll stick with my C9, just such a damn great TV. Sure during daytime with a lot of sun coming in it’s not ideal with HDR games, but it’s still very doable.

But who knows, maybe in exactly a year from now I have a S95B here, or something else. But only when I am so damn sure I’m getting something truly amazing because the C9…I’ve had no issues at all with it. Whereas with Sammy Q9FN…ooh wee.

Well fuck… so basically it fixes the issues whilst highlighting the benefits of Samsung’s QD-OLED tech. This is honestly what I was hoping for as LG needed some competition as the leading manufacturer of panels and TVs that are best for overall OLED functionality. Samsung just needs to shift its position on Dolby Vision and I’ll be back in their camp.

1 Like

I did see one user review of the S95B and he mentioned issues like ghosting but also the build quality being very bad. Very slow UI and just that he didn’t trust the TV.

And others have mentioned ghosting and build quality too. Now iirc the ghosting wasn’t an issue during gaming, but really…ghosting on an OLED? Just no.

it depends what you are looking for.

for gaming it is heads and shoulders better.

for reference below the numbers from rtings tests

QN90A 9.3 HDR Brightness In Game Mode

S95B 7.8 HDR Brightness In Game Mode

ref with last 2020-21 tvs

Q80A 7.9 HDR Brightness In Game Mode

LG C1 6.8 HDR Brightness In Game Mode

I wrote the other day here that I was set to buy the S95B until I saw it has worse HDR performance in games than the Q85A I have since two years. Then I bought instead the QN95

In a typical modern game where you roam in a day scene with sun, illumination etc there is just no comparison

1 Like

Very interesting. I kept seeing those TVs mentioned in videos but had no idea it was Microled. I’m gonna check some stuff out.

The biggest hype so far about the S95B from owners I see is that it’s especially amazing for HDR, for how bright it is. But it seems Microled is even better.

1 Like

make no mistake here: samsung s95b offers much better hdr brightness than lg does, and with much less dimming after 5 secs of consistent bright on screen.

thing is, all oled technology is very much further behind in hdr brightness than mini led is behind pure blacks compared to best oleds.

if you are set for an oled tv, samsung is the way to go.

but for me personally, I sure know what is more important for my eye’s entertainment, and thats vivid and bright hdr

Well, I love my LG OLED because I had no more problems like the issues I had with the QLED, the Q9FN. So that was a huge relief. My intention was to just stick it out with the C9 for a while, but what you said about Microled does have me intrigued.

But are they great for gaming too in terms of features? Like VRR, does it have Dolby Vision, everything a LG OLED now has?

What I love about OLED is the black levels, the screen uniformity, viewing angles, no bloom, no ghosting. I can’t go to tech that still has that. Does it? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nope. Samsung still has hatred for industry standards like Dolby Vision and still doesn’t support it.

1 Like

I opted for the samsung qn95, because it has a single thin cable from the tv to what it calls “one connect box”, a remote box where you have 4X 2.1 (120/vrr) hdmi ports for your xbox/ps5/pc , your usb ports, ethernet, sat, power etc all tucked away nicely

it has a popup “game menu” showing refresh/vrr/hdr etc. and can also play wide and superwide pc resolution modes. no dolby vision, but hdr10+ and of course game mode, auto low latency etc etc

if you search on youtube, you can find many comparative videos with mini led and oled side by side. I suggest to look for videos made by gamers, showing games :wink:

well, they have their own standard. then again, you might find videos showing that things like dolby and hgig when gaming, not necessarily offer better results. in fact maybe worse.