OLED or QLED For next gen

Thanks. how about smudges? On my old tv I would just spray with winded and wipe down but with an oled I don’t want to. Will a cloth get smudges off as well?

On my LG C9 I can get smudges off as well, just have to put a little strength into it to get it really gone. Apparently this isn’t recommended for Samsung’s latest QD OLED though, this can produce blue looking like smudges.

1 Like

Awesome thanks for the heads up

1 Like

the dimming issue on oled tvs might be more serious than the burn in one.

Looks like Samsung S95B took a dive on their latest firmware 1302.5 compared to 1211.02 launch. I won’t repost it all, so do have a read over the full post.

My rant is to say, if you do want a S95B, pick one up before all the factory models come with 1302 and you’re nerfed from Day 1. Don’t connect it to the internet and don’t pray that Samsung will see the light and do right by consumers. History isn’t on their side.

Yep, been reading about it on AVS for the past week. Tech with KG has stuff on it too. Basically it’s not necessarily a nerf, it’s way more accurate now, but it went from 1500 nits to 1000 iirc. They made movie mode the same as film maker mode, which means it’s not nearly as “popping” anymore as it used to be. Basically Sammy listened to Vincent.

But Game mode has changed too. KG covers that in this video.

Personally I don’t get the point of having two movie modes that are exactly the same. Keep the one that all the YouTubers were raving about for them, and have film maker mode be the one that is accurate.

1 Like

Yeah. That’s beyond perplexing to me. It’s like they don’t have a grasp on things.

The negative on the other game mode is it elevates on the low end so shadow detail and darks suffer.

Fortunately it seems Sony has the processing aspect nailed. Or its as least not total rubbish. It’s surprising just how much the general processor can make a difference. I’m not talking about post image cleanup but just the general aspects like color accuracy with identical panels.

1 Like
1 Like

I just got the S95B (65”) and holy crap! I’m going from a 2019 LG 43” 4K set.

I had no idea! I will say the OS is pure trash. It was made by alien robots for alien robots. Took forever to find and shut off the soap opera effect, for instance. The remote lags, too.

But the image quality? Wow.

1 Like

Did you have it updated to the latest firmware? Because apparently those kind of issues are gone.

I’m very likely getting it next week too, but first I need to know how many hours the store will let me “demo” it at home to still be within that return and refund window. I wanted to just stick with my C9, but the hype bug probably has bitten me, because I just badly want to see it for myself now. If I dig it, I’ll keep it and probably sell the C9 if I can get a respectable amount of money from it.

What especially do you like about the image quality? And was this with default settings? Cause I keep reading how the out of the box settings are not good and you need to change several things first.

Any reason to rush into a new technology without waiting a year for them to iron things out? Your current set is still very good lol.

1 Like

I got it updated immediately, so I can’t tell you what they fixed, except to say they didn’t fix enough.

I am very curious about the colours where I hear everyone with the TV or whose seen it rave about. From a fellow C9 owner I heard that this upgrade is amazing, says I won’t regret the purchase, in HDR gaming goes very bright too. And it’s at a damn good price too. Who’s to say how fast the price goes down for newer models next year?

And besides, I’ve always lived life like…i live now, I do stuff now. :wink:

But I will make 100% for sure that they offer me a good amount of time to test it, because if I’m not ecstatic, there’s no reason to keep it and I’ll stick with C9. But I’ve pretty much made up my mind to check it out, nobody stopping me. :wink:

1 Like

I’ve had a tiny bit of time with the C series at other folks’ houses. The Samsung is unreal. Bright enough that my eyes had to adjust. I don’t know how they did it. I’m still afraid of the set to some degree because of the menus. Also, the Apple TV 4K requires us to turn off Atmos audio or the sound doesn’t sync correctly, but that’s likely on the Apple TV, not the television.

Also, my girlfriend was dead set against the 65” because she thought it would be too big, but when she saw the 55” at the distance we’d be at in the living room, she changed her mind.

1 Like

Hows the structural integrity of the set? I have seen all the posts about it feeling flimsy.

Any attempts to clean the screen yet? That was the other large issue with it.

It’s super thin and not that light as a whole with the 65”, so we were sorta scared setting it up. That said, it totally held up fine.

I got it yesterday, so I haven’t had to clean it yet.

Oh, we don’t have a sound system yet (holding out to buy two Syng Cell Alphas), but the television itself has pretty great sound.

2 Likes

Tried some games on it? And are you using default settings?

I tried Ariel Knight’s Never Yield, but that’s it so far.

I changed a few settings—most specifically tuning off motion smoothing.

Okay, played Graveyard Keeper as well. I haven’t had time to boot anything more complex, but I HAVE to see Forza Horizon 5 on this beast! Also wanna try Naraka Bladepoint!

Edited to add:

I would heartily recommend against getting the Samsung S95B. I’ve just spent most of an hour on the phone trying to troubleshoot the laggy or unresponsive remote that came with it. They’re going to send me a new remote. It’ll take 5–14 business days to get here.

I have zero confidence the new remote will work any better than the old remote. Yes, it has the most recent update.

This is not acceptable for a product nearing $3k (we got ours for just under $2500).

Stay away. The damned touch tone telephone tree doesn’t even work. I feel like I have a very expensive source of constant frustration now.

1 Like

The S95B arrived here today, we set it up and went straight for Xbox. Out of the box settings, I’ve not touched any setting and the picture quality is amazing. First game was RDR2, the praise about the colours is warranted because the red is deep red, and color in general is fantastic. I noticed in RDR2 that the overall picture quality is actually a significant step up from the C9 too and I thought it couldn’t get much crisper.

My living room is far from dark now and these games in HDR are bright as hell, I love it. Fire in Dragon’s Dogma almost burns your eyes, so to speak, lol and neon signs in Crackdown 3 have never looked better. And this is with completely “wrong” settings because I saw that the mode I’m using now has Contrast enhancer at high. Later today I’m gonna calibrate to the “right” settings.

It’s not all good news sadly. I have a bent set. Or well, the panel itself isn’t bent, but because of the stand it is bent. During content I don’t mind it, but this is just sloppy as hell, let’s be honest here.

Oh I haven’t had this problem myself yet. I find the remote snappy. But it’s slightly a hassle to just get into settings, but I can get used to that when the screen itself is this good.

2 Likes