OLED or QLED For next gen

Can they ship out just a replacement stand?

2 Likes

That’s a good question!

I probably would have to contact Samsung for it, but I think that’s more like a matter for the store to do, since that should fall under warranty too.

The thing is, on AVS I’ve read that many of the sets come bent this way, and some cases where it’s fine.

I’m back in love with the TV due to its features. I’m stuck mostly using the iPhone “SmartThings” app for any meaningfully deep interaction with settings, etc., but if I leave it on Xbox and play (games or streaming video apps), I’m stunned by the quality of the picture.

When the new remote comes—assuming it works—I’ll probably forget all about what a nightmare the first week or so were.

2 Likes

Someone on AVS gave me some advice to check how issue free the panel is. DSE, color banding, all that stuff. So I ran a video on YouTube and this panel is clean as hell, I have never had a screen this clean. My C9 has green tinge in white backgrounds for example.

He said if it wasn’t exactly perfect in terms of screen uniformity, then it’s easier to make the decision to return it. Also since so many of these come with this bend, or more like…tilt, there’s a big chance I will get it again, even with another TV stand. I’m probably just gonna leave it at this. If it starts to annoy me I can always put something under the stand.

Tried some more games like Psychonauts 2 and again, the colours are something else man, the combination of super bright and beautiful HDR with these colors and crispness, it’s just lovely. Also, usually I hate motion interpolation, always had it off on LG OLED, I have it on with S95B. Watched Witcher episode and it’s very smooth, but no soap opera effect and no artefacts either.

This TV is gonna be bad for my backlog, lmao. Because I can see myself restarting several games with this now. It makes that big of a difference. When I read all the “hype” and praise on YouTube I had my doubts, bright HDR I thought would just be like enabling DTM on C9, but it couldn’t be further from the truth.

1 Like

I would engage with the store and with Samsung (call, social media post, dm, email etc) and let them know how unpleased you are with that aspect of the set. I would absolutely not be silent about it. There is no reason to pay $2500 - $3000 and not be entirely absolutely satisfied with the purchase. Who know, maybe they’ll throw in something as a compromise, like extended warranty or offer free wall-mounting setup?

You got a point there. I don’t think the store will do much, but can always try.

As for price, I paid € 2099 for it. Damn nice price :slight_smile:

I called the store and they asked me to send photos of the tilted screen. It’s a tilt, definitely not a bend. And I am pretty sure it’s the stand causing this. If I were to attach this to my wall it would be 100% flat.

Anyway, they will then contact Samsung and probably their service will come to my house and see what they can do. I can also just send it directly to Samsung, but something tells me they will respond to a store quicker.

1 Like

Well, LG has released their G3 OLED, which uses the new tech called MLA. And if we go by what good YouTubers have been saying it’s the real deal for regular OLED. I’m hearing it matches the peak brightness of the QD-OLEDs like Samsung S95B for example, that is a big surprise. Did not expect this from regular OLED.

If it can match the beautiful colours too remains to be seen. But expect some interesting videos soon, hopefully with lots of game mode coverage too. After all, that’s what it’s all about at the end of the day, with movie/shows being a second.

Seems the 65 inch will be in the 3000 euros somewhere, that’s just a price I can’t justify for myself, let alone actually afford really. But perhaps in the near future when it goes down in price. End of the day I’m just more of a LG “fan” than Samsung.

https://www.youtube.com/live/ZZMRdGGhR2U?feature=share

Me looking at TV comparisons on my shitty Dell TN panel monitor:

I’ve never tried a Qled but I do have an Oled (Panasonic JZ980).

It shines in certain scenarios (plenty has been said already about the perfect blacks but they really do make the picture pop in some content), but Oled isn’t miracle tech either & is IMO way, way overhyped for what it is.

There’s no perfect tv & even Oled gets ‘dirty screen effect’ (or more precisely vertical banding visible in near black scenes). Oled doesn’t fix bad looking content either, i.e. a visually muddy mess or bland game is going to look bad on an Oled, meanwhile a great looking game is going to look great anyway.

So my advice would be to buy the product suitable for your needs & budget. If we’re talking movies, the last movie that totally blew me away was Top Gun Maverick (I watched via streaming in 4K Dolby Vision). Wow, mind blowing… but everyone says that because the film looks great anyway.

If I could only get a Qled I would have done so & not stressed about Oled being way better or something which could cause major FOMO (fear of missing out). All these toys have an expiration date anyway & will become obsolete in time.

1 Like

Got a 65 inch QN95A. great Tv with no fear of burn in. VA panel so blacks are oled level.

Bought a Samsung S95B last July. It died in January this year. Samsung service is garbage, had to wait more than a month for the store to realise this. They gave me a new one. It came with newer firmware and thus the beautiful brightness was gone, that’s Samsung. They don’t give a damn if you disable auto update firmware.

Last week got a great deal at a store to trade in the S95B, pay a little extra for Sony’s flagship QD-OLED of last year, the A95K. And I took the deal. People always praise and hype the processing and picture quality of Sony TVs but I’m a believer after having seen movies on Netflix in Dolby Vision but also their own streaming service Bravia Core of which the quality is on par with a 4K BR disc. It is a sight to behold.

Gaming with Xbox initially was a different story, I got raised black levels in games, especially in night time of these games. Changed a few settings and it’s magnificent now. Any game I throw on it looks amazing, just significantly more crisp than the S95B and I didn’t think that was possible. I also have the TV connected to the Internet without any worries of them forcing broken ass firmware updates on me.

I’m pretty sure already this is a keeper.

2 Likes

Interesting if LG still won’t come with QD-OLED.

I don’t see LG ever going QD-OLED, they build the OLED panels themselves and would have to start buying from Samsung. They’ll continue to invest in improving their own tech.

3 Likes

I have a Panasonic JZ980 Oled.

The one thing I noticed with the Series X is Dolby Vision has raised black levels. I’ve heard others complain about this but it’s why I don’t game in Dolby Vision at all.

It’s easily verifiable on the loading screens of a game like Starfield: HDR 10 has perfect inky infinite contrast, where Dolby Vision has a cloudy look with raised blacks which exposes panel uniformity issues (which exist on all tv’s, especially the larger ones).

Hmm, I see. I wasn’t aware of that. But I’ve barely used DV on this TV for gaming, because for some reason Sony let’s you only choose DV and that means giving up on VRR and vice versa. But honestly, I don’t think DV for gaming is really gonna take off, isn’t it still like only a handful of games that fully support it?

DV is fine for the streaming apps though. But those I watch via the TV apps.

Yes, only a handful of games are ‘native’ Dolby Vision. TV’s made by Samsung don’t even do Dolby Vision, I believe.

There’s also restrictions on its use on my set as well, like Dolby Vision only works at 60hz, not 120hz (which is necessary for some games which require low framerate compensation, like Resident Evil 4 Remake).

1 Like

Also, based on some experience with modern display tech, I’d say the most ‘important’ aspects for film & gaming are as follows: Oled (infinite blacks really are quite something), VRR capabilities (necessary for console gaming because every single ‘60 fps’ title has drops) & HDR, with HDR 10 being plenty good enough. I find Dolby Vision to be the most oversold thing in tv displays. The difference in movies is practically imperceptible. If I play a movie on Disney + in Dolby Vision, then an HDR 10 movie or series on my Series X, I don’t see the difference in terms of high dynamic range, i.e. both look good.

120hz is also something to consider, especially for people with a Series X (not a PS5), i.e. the logic behind this is simple: 120hz gaming is massively overrated (the difference between 60fps & 120fps is like the difference between HDR 10 & Dolby Vision, i.e. superfluous). The point where 120hz really makes a difference is in games which drop out of the VRR range, like the aforementioned Resident Evil 4 Remake.

Put the console into 120hz mode, calibrate the HDR on the console properly (& play in game mode with ‘warm’ picture settings), then crank up the in-game graphics settings with resolution mode + ray tracing enabled.

The game is uneven in all modes (including framerate mode, i.e. chapter 5 at night in the rainy village has big framerate drops no matter the graphical options selected), but when played on a Series X on a 120hz tv with 120hz mode enabled on the console, those dips are mitigated by low framerate compensation kicking in whenever the game drops out of the tv’s VRR range (which in my case is anything under 48fps).

2 Likes

Few point here I disagree on.

DV for gaming is pointless. But for movies, TV shows - its much better than HDR10 - perceptibly so. You get better shadow and bright details due to the dynamic meta-data. Both will appear similar but for me its night and day in terms of how realistic things look with DV (and how comfortable they look) compared to HDR10 which can blow out details. Especially movies mastered to 4000nits!

Also the 120Hz thing. Play Halo Infinite MP for an hour at 120. Then try going to 60. Feels exactly the same as the 30-60 jump to me! In that its impossible for me to go back to 60!

3 Likes

Be that as it may, it’s all within the margin of personal taste, specifically dependent on how much someone cares about the differences.

Personally after nearly a year of using the Series X with a 120hz Oled, I’ve found it’s the little (borderline zilch) spoken of stuff which is the most perplexing, i.e. like some games run better with the console set in the 120hz mode (like RE4 Remake), whilst I’ve found with others (like Callisto Protocol), the game actually runs smoother with the console in 60hz mode. In the 120 mode, the game seems to hitch way more than in the 60 mode. That’s with the actual game running in its performance 60fps setting.

A lot of this tech is pretty new & not exactly ‘mature’ IMO in terms of gaming (whether it’s HDR or the refresh rate setting on the console, or how it deals with VRR & low framerate compensation), so I just have to rely on my own feeling when I’m playing a game.

If there’s something a little off (hitches, stutter, anything) I immediately try the console in the other refresh rate setting. I feel there’s practically zero information about this topic online (Digital Foundry suggested playing 60fps games in the 60 mode, although like I said, this isn’t a universal rule because the RE engine games in particular are better in the 120hz setting).

So there’s some head scratching stuff in display tech & what I experience with my Panasonic might not be true for people with a tv from a different manufacturer (notwithstanding a different display panel type as well).

1 Like