NXgamer: AC Valhalla next Gen comparison (1440p version is now up!)

PS5 might as well end up outperforming their specs in time, but right now it is behind a 5700 too.

But that is a bit more in-line to the expected as it matches the 5700 specs with the caveat of sharing bandwidth with cpu, ssd and audio instead of having exclusive access like 5700 does (though a bit of that could be counter balanced because amd always improve rop compression and cache on newer architectures so they are more efficient with the same BW)

I can only put this down to immature tools on the Series X. From working with PC hardware for almost 15 years the Xbox has a bandwidth advantage in ram, faster CPU and a wider more powerful GPU. The only thing I can point to is API dev tools. Unless there is some insane bottleneck in the hardware design.

I’m absolutely loving my series X so I expect these issues will be ironed out once the DX12U tools improve.

2 Likes

Phil said a few times that the hardware was ready but he was worried for the platform and tools not be up to par for launch. When covid hit he even said that these is the only concern he had about SX getting delayed as they wouldn’t wait for any game.

So I assume it’s not planned. They most likely intended to have the final performance in time for the games to launch.

1 Like

Yea, that sounds rough. I am sure they will get everything settled though. We are still in early days.

Not being funny but a few weeks back I’d heard things were a lot tougher than they’ve turned out. Xbox put some mad work in to get up to par. ACV was not close to 60 which is why footage wasn’t being shown.

Let’s just appreciate the work in the pandemic to have such a good launch. The fact people are arguing over a frame here or there is a good result.

The tearing is a function of all Xbox consoles not just the series X. Needs a patch.

I was thinking to myself "they could have been more upfront about this. Yes the system in terms of specs is the most powerful but tools also have to mature. But then I read your post. I wasn’t aware Phil had spoken about that at all. That’s definitely good to know.

This sure puts things much better in perspective. It won’t matter to silly people on social media who will use this as “ammo” or whatsoever but then again they don’t matter either.

Hope all is solved soon. And that Ubi person needs to get real and be honest next time. Should have just said it’s dynamic for both.

1 Like

I’ve spoken to a few people Pre launch and it was hairy. Also do not expect a huge gap at any point - Sony have some good implementations and the gap will be lower than the hardware percentage suggests, it’s going to be an even gen with some games perhaps even being better on PS5 as they have some stuff that I’m told improves shader performance over the Xbox.

I’m guessing the launch titles will improve a bit for Xbox but just don’t expect a meaningful difference in performance is what I’ve heard.

I also think the difference on One X and Pro came down to resolution and those differences will be less marked with RT and 60 FPS targets in play. In short I think we will be looking at much more equivalent performance this time round.

But when it comes to shaders, Xbox has that with RDNA 2. It’s just going to take time. But I’m fine with PS5 performing on par and looking on par but it would be just kinda strange if it takes the lead. But I guess what you say about the hardware percentage could be true.

But hell, it certainly shouldn’t underperform like it seems to be doing now with WDL and ACV. But with all things considered, it was to be expected and it’s unfortunate but it should improve. Hopefully sooner rather than later. Because I really don’t want XGS games to suffer from this.

I would almost say I wish MS had not waited for RDNA2 so that the tools wouldn’t be behind. With the messed up state of the world right now which will cause game development to take longer it’s very unfortunate if this is yet another issue. Whereas for PS5 it seems to be mostly “smooth sailing” or at least close to what was expected.

But what do I know? Haha, nothing. In time I’ll look back at this message and probably think “how could I have said such a foolish thing about RDNA2”. Once it’s being fully utilized.

They waited for RDNA2 so that it helps their cross PC platform development. Bottom line is I think the state of launch games is good news. Because it was looking worse a month or two back.

1 Like

To be honest the hardware this gen is amazing, from the S, to PS5 and XSX. We get huge upgrades in CPU and IO and this is all we could ever hope for. Devs have a huge playground this gen to innovate in a lot of areas and I’m eager to find out what we will get in this generation.

3 Likes

Exactly this. The series X and S are a joy to use. I don’t get why people are getting hung up whether they are a frame or two worse than the PS5. All consoles have huge power it’s not really relevant anymore.

The real question is how long will it take for them to reach the desired performance. If it takes a few more months than OK, but if he are talking more than like 8 months to a year they could be in a very bad light.

Do you know in which interview or article this was said by him? Not that I don’t believe you, but I’m interested in reading it.

No I didnt say that, I said he does not give an average resolution or what the resolution of is most of the time.

1 Like

He talked about these in quite a few interviews back then but I think this is one of the times where he said it (hardware OK as he took it home last year and platform was stretched)

Pardon me if it’s not this one I can’t watch right now

2 Likes

Any germans in here?

I think according to this video it runs better on XSX. At least in regards of resolution

1 Like

Interesting XSX is showing higher res over ps5 from their findings

2 Likes

Nice, this doesn’t seem to have the different colour tones the NX video did.

Despite people being eager using NXGamer as a source (who seems focused on PlayStation content), I wouldn’t worry.

With what’s happening in the world right now, and MS’s decision to wait until the full RDNA 2 menu was ready, it wouldn’t be a surprise if the DX12 API isn’t performing as expected on XSX hardware yet, and developers are still adapting to use the Game Core development kit which supports console, PC and mobile. That’s a big change from the previous SDK which just supported console.

What we’ve got for XSX is impressive IMO, but its coming in hot. Forza Horizon 4 patch includes downgrades from Xbox One X (which most people didn’t even notice until Digital Foundry highlighted that issue), Watch Dogs ray tracing patch arrived late. Developers always get more out of console hardware as time goes by, XSX won’t be an exception.

Series X launched on Tuesday. Its Friday. A bit early for the concern, no?

6 Likes

Surely a few patches will sort these problems out…I haven’t seen 1 screen tearing scene yet …the joys of playing on an oled