Nvidia Event thread 1st sep 9am PT/12pm ET/ 5pm uk time

Can you site this for me? Maybe a timestamp in the video? I’m still a couple hours away from being able to watch. This could really sway me back to single player PC games if implemented and performance gains are even partially as realistic as MS have noted for the Series X.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-io-gpu-accelerated-storage-technology/

and from the presentation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKx-eMAVK70&feature=youtu.be&t=1367

edit: Also some information from the directx blog https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/directstorage-is-coming-to-pc/

1 Like

Some wild numbers for performance.

And still I will not spend more than 300 Euros for a GPU. Sorry Nvidia & AMD.

Had built a new PC at the start of 2019 and got my fair share of driver issues, games not running and so on since then. Console gaming is so much better. No stress, just play.

Seeing Xbox mentioned as a RT benchmark was weird btw. Very weird.

RTX IO just does what Xbox and Playstation does for its SSDs but having RTXIO using DirectStorage is a plus for XBox as many games will support this now and in result no additional efforts for Xbox ports while for Sony there will be. Advantage Xbox I would suggest.

2 Likes

This basically validates Microsoft solution and philosophy for SSD overall.

My anticipation is tempered: “Microsoft is targeting a developer preview of DirectStorage for Windows for game developers next year, and NVIDIA RTX gamers will be able to take advantage of RTX IO-enhanced games as soon as they become available.” (From the Nvidia page you linked, emphasis added).

I’ll still plan a Series X (or three) for the family co-op gaming and patiently wait until next year to see how Direct Storage pans out in games on the new GPUs.

3050 might fit in your $300 budget.

It could potentially have

Adoption always takes time, but to have an equivalent on PC now gives the API a broader platform that will benefit the support for it. At least better than having a proprietary standard like Playstation has.

2 Likes

This is a HUGE reason I lean towards console. That, and guaranteed controller support along with “pick up and play” ease of use.

Maybe as the XsX isn’t RDNA 1.9 and is fully RDNA 2 :wink:

I jest, I jest.

I would still not buy one. As I mentioned console gaming is almost stress free - the only time it can annoy you if Xbox Live is down or you want to play but have to install a system update :wink:

1 Like

I never was a fan of those RDNA 1.x discussions. As the wise Albert Penello explained at another place, console SOCs are completely custom and are build on IP that is available. They are not comparable what is or will be available in the PC space. Though I strongly believe that the SOC of the Xbox Series X | S is more feature rich with Mesh shaders, SFS, VRS and ML capabilities that PS5 assumably doesn’t support.

That’s why I love consoles. Do you think the differences will be big?

Differences between Xbox and ???

XSX and 3070 or 3080.

I hear you with the “No stress side of console gaming” although, I will be getting a 3080, as well as the XsX.

I use my PC for VR mainly - DCS and iRacing with associated wheels and hotas. I play the odd strategy game on there as well.

The lounge experience is console based. I have a Xbox One X, PS4, Switch and Wii U under the TV.

My PC experience is tempered by the fact that every time I update something, I may spend hours getting it back ( Which is why i now have Acronis imaging my PC constantly all the time to a mount on my NAS ).

Back on topic, I think the adoption of Direct Storage API on PC’s will surely be beneficial for the Xbox development life cycle.

Of course it will be noticable. The difference in performance is just too big. Though the XSX is still cheaper than building a PC with those components and as mentioned the convenience factor has a big plus on the console side of things. Not to mention that from the output standpoint (HDMI 2.1) they are on par.

The console experience will be as smooth as the current PC experience due to 120Hz and VRR for those have TVs that support HDMI 2.1 (like me).

1 Like

Weirdly the 3080 power and price point has cemented me buying it, and skipping PS5 until late next year, or 2022.

This will be the first time I’ve skipped a console on launch.

3080 + XsX + GamePass = Enough content for me whereever I game: Office; Lounge, or even via xCloud on the move.

2 Likes

Nvidia kill it wow, RTX IO + 2x more raw power than a 1070 + 1,5x better ray tracing + better DLSS for 500€ :frowning:

I hope RDNA 2 is good, because Ampere is just awesome, this Cyberpunk demo, holy shit !

I support the idea. But as I already have not enough time to game on my console on a frequent basis to share the spare time with PC is too much (my personal business case and ROI) :wink:

1 Like

Do amphere GPU’s contain hardware for decompression, like the consoles?