Next ID@Xbox and Twitch Indie Showcase scheduled for August 10 (live TODAY at 9AM PT!)

Axiom verge 2 comes out today randomly and skips xbox. Really annoyed with these games skipping xbox.

1 Like

The dev took the EGS exclusivity payment so I assume they are now waiting for the Game Pass payment.

1 Like

Also the first one skipped Xbox at launch, there isnā€™t clearly a great relationship, anyway itā€™s no big deal with all the exclusive indies (between releases and new announcements) Xbox is strong in this department. Also the EGS deal is not coincidental, the Apple trail.revealed an adversial stance from Epic towards MS concerning game deals.

The first one I understand because of the development problems going to Xbox one from 360. Axiom verge was originally developed as a 360 title.

I know thereā€™s a ton of indies but very few of them are going to be of the quality of Axiom verge 2. Iā€™m still waiting for Spelunky 2 on Xbox. Where the hell is that.

Just because a game hits the other platforms first doesnā€™t mean the relationship is bad or anything like that. Could be a number of other factors, complicated even more during a pandemic. Some of the posts here are strangely angry and aggressive. Xbox has plenty of games and they also get games before other platforms.

3 Likes

I feel like nowadays when an indie game skips Xbox it is normally due to an exclusive contract or something, while when an indie game skips other platforms itā€™s because they donā€™t think the game will sell as well as they could or because Microsoft helped them release the game and so they focused on an Xbox version

1 Like

You must not have been around during the Xbox one era. yeah now Xbox has a ton of games. So many games shafted the Xbox one last gen. axiom verge took a year and Undertale took 4 years. So many other big games always got delayed for Xbox. It was BS.

Yeah things are looking better for Xbox and Iā€™m glad Xbox is getting games like Deaths Door.

I donā€™t even care if its exclusive. The fact that Xbox gets these q=high quality games day 1 is a good sign.

But lets not act like Xbox didnā€™t get shafted bad last gen when it came to indie games.

Contracts suck ass. Thank god Sony have no interest in indies anymore. Why arenā€™t games like Spelunky 2 on Xbox? The original Spelunky was a 360 exclusive at one point.

The potential is there to make money on xbox. But certain devs ignore it because they couldnā€™t care about the userbase even though porting isnā€™t that expensive with how easier it is to port.

Supergiant is a big example. I mean its great Hades is coming to Xbox. But Iā€™m skeptical if that would have come out at all if MS didnā€™t give them money for it to be on Gamepass. Supergiant didnā€™t put any of their last gen games on Xbox. A HD port of Bastion doesnā€™t really count since it was already on 360 and Backward comptable.

Transistor and Pyre completely skipped Xbox. Transistor even got a very late Switch port.

A lot of developers didnā€™t care for Xbox last gen.

Iā€™m still hurt Transistor isnā€™t available on Xbox, but overall I canā€™t complain. Things are slowly changing and Xbox is finally beeing seen with good eyes again. Take Deathā€™s Door, for example. Another great indie game published by Devolver, Carrion, is only now coming to PlayStation ā€“ which is madness considering how many PS4s are out there.

1 Like

Isnā€™t Axiom Verge 2 developed and created by one guy? If so, Switch should be the primary console and PS4 second because thatā€™s where the majority of sales will come from.

Yeah Deaths Door is great. But its a rare example of a non 1st party game that has come to Xbox first.

I donā€™t even care if its an exclusive. I just want to play these games day 1 on Xbox.

Iā€™ll give you some other examples. Salt and Sanctuary.

Salt and Santuary came out on March 2016 for PS4. 2018 for SWitch and 2019 for Xbox

Now you wanna know the most hilarious thing? It came out for VITA in 2017. The Fucking VITA ahead of the Xbox version. Cmon now The VITA

ā€¦The VITA.

I mean, I totally agree with you in parts, but Salt and Sanctuary is another example from the Xbox darker times. There are many indie games coming first to the platform now.

In the next few weeks alone we have 12 Minutes, The Big Con and The Artful Escape. Not to mention the games releasing alongside other consoles, like Cris Tales, Eldest Souls and Omno ā€“ and many of them are being released straight into Game Pass aswell.

There are also some indies bigger in scope, like Scorn, The Gunk and STALKER 2.

Again, I get the frustration over some games ā€“ I get frustrated aswell. I really wanted to play Axiom Verge 2, Oxenfree II and Oddworld: Soulstorm. But I believe Xbox players are the ones with the most reasons to be happy at the moment when talking about indies.

1 Like

Uh, I run a thread here about the history of xbox. Iā€™ve been around since day one. Xbox got ā€œshaftedā€ because of market realities, a still-growing indie scene, and incredibly strong competition from existing and new competitors. These indie devs have to make hard choices, these are decisions about their livelihood. Itā€™s not like the majority are out there shunning Xbox because they donā€™t like it. To assume that seems so out of touch expecislly when we see them get a lot of great games now, and in reality, every other gen prior.

Again, posts here come across strangely angry and aggressive. Please be thoughtful and kind before posting or it comes across like a poor hot take and I know weā€™re better than that as a community.

3 Likes

On-topic - I didnā€™t get a chance to watch this or really see much about it since. Are there a few ā€œconsensusā€ awesome looking games? Any games that were overlooked that are super cool?

Here is a nice overview of everything shown at the stream:

Go here if you are looking for the trailers:

https://www.youtube.com/c/IDXbox/videos

Indie games are unique enough to make it hard to reach a consensus. Iā€™m personally really looking forward to OlliOlli World, Sable, and The Big Con. Pupparazzi also got my attention because itā€™s basically PokĆ©mon Snap with puppies.

3 Likes

Hoping Sable gets 60fps cause the demo was good, really liked it but the input was bad, too much latency.

Not automatically true, sales are directly tied to marketing, store visibility, promos, etcā€¦there are many examples of indies better selling on Xbox than PS, otherwise why so many indies are complaining about Sony and ID@Xbox has so many timed exclusives?

1 Like

Supergiant Games shafted Xbox because of bad blood, after Bastion on 360 they became millionaires, they said it themselves on several documentaries, so no childred without dinner in their picture. The same with Jonathan Blow or Phil Fish and who know else, they became bitter with Xbox policies of Mattrick era and someone still hold a grudge even today (and MS is still sufficiently huge to not have to bother with bitter individuals, they are not multibillion publishers). Personally I report my dissatisfaction when dealing with this cases, as someone else said, Salt and Sanctuary of Ska Studios landed on Xbox years after dead platform Vita, come on, that studio also appeared on map during 360 days and the sequel will also skip Xbox for who know how many years, soā€¦

Thanks for the response. If you want to keep talking about this you can DM me but I think this chatter is detracting from whatā€™s important here and thatā€™s the awesome games that were shown. Iā€™d rather focus on that in this thread, if you donā€™t mind.

Anyway, back on topic, I didnā€™t understand the thing with the Pathfinder game: I donā€™t recall the trailer during the show, but the one loaded on YT has no GP logo, so whatā€™s the deal with official GP Twitter saying sorry for the mistake?

After 2 days I can say that Pathfinder, Aeon Drive and The Wandering Village were my favourite titles presented.