New Witcher game announced (first in a new saga, Unreal Engine 5)

Love the Witcher character, but found the gameplay and fetching quests annoying. One of the most overrated franchises in gaming, hopefully this new game is actually fun. :stuck_out_tongue:

But this is a brand new saga, doesn’t that mean all brand new characters too?

I would think that instead of the saga revolving around Geralt, it will now revolve around Ciri. There’s so much they can do with her character story wise. Combat/gameplay wise, Ciri has a “warping” ability and can time travel. Imagine a fantasy/sci-fi Witcher game. Oh man!!!

Also, I can’t see CDPR throwing away Ciri and perhaps a few other already known and established characters for someone new that no one knows yet.

We’ll see what happens but im staying with Ciri as my prediction for the playable protagonist.

EDIT: If it’s not Ciri, why call it The Witcher? I would think they would make it a new IP.

Weird take.

You have the established fanbase and the existing universe/lore. I think there isn’t a chance they make it Sci-fi.

1 Like

Yeah but if you subtract all the characters, not so much. The background would perhaps still be there but the foreground would be gone.

We see this all the time in gaming?

• Bioshock
  • MassEffect
  • Assassin’s Creed
  • FarCry
  • Gears
  • Fallout
  • Elder Scrolls

I could easily list +30 popular franchises.

1 Like

Yeah true but at the same time, Bioshock has been dead for a decade. Mass Effect hasn’t been any good in a decade. AC is great with the worlds and time periods which in turn works for the story and characters within but at the same time, there’s a reason why the Ezio trilogy is still considered the best by many. Far Cry has declined since FC 3. Gears has also declined compared to the original trilogy with the original characters. No matter what Gears does or is, it will never match the original Epic trilogy. Fallout has also declined when comparing Fallout 4 to Fallout 3 and NV. Elder Scrolls has been dead for over a decade unless you want to count the online game.

As great as the world, lore, etc. is in The Witcher 3, if you subtract Geralt, Ciri, Triss, Yennifer and everyone else, does it really have the same impact? I would say no because while all that stuff is great, the characters and in turn the story/narrative/writing is what makes it all come together and be better than the rest.

Excluding all of that stuff and just going based on combat/gameplay, Ciri should be the lead protagonist because she allows the combination of being in a fantasy/sci-fi world due to what her abilities are and what she can do.

And while Geralt’s story ended, Ciri’s did not and in fact, hasn’t even begun.

CIRI FTW!!!

I do find it funny how the industry is increasingly announcing new games via press releases and not via trailers etc.

My excitement is through the roof but I’m not expecting this to come out until 2027 at least so a year or 2 after the next Elder Scrolls, The Witcher has to be my favorite fantasy WRPG and nobody beats CDPR when it comes to side quests in RPGs, my hope for this one is that it focuses on new characters and new regions, I know a lot of fans would love a game about Ciri or a younger Vesimir but I feel like that would limit them too much, I love Geralt and the characters from the first 3 games but it’s probably time to let them go and not milk those characters dry, I just feel like it ended on a great note and it’s time to focus on something else.

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1505957352083755010

https://twitter.com/witchergame/status/1505960659372101632

I think Xbox and CDPR still have a very strong relationship and I would be surprised if Xbox doesn’t have some sort of marketing deal by the time this comes out like they did with Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk, The Witcher 2 was one of my favorite RPGs on the 360 and Witcher 3 on Xbox One, can’t wait for this one! Btw these tweets will be hilarious if Microsoft ever acquires them lol.

3 Likes

Ikr haha

2 Likes

I read that since Witcher 4 will be on UE5 it’s gonna take full use of RDNA2, and since XSX has that…that should be really nice.

Looking forward to this, am planning a new play through of 3 when the series upgrade comes in Q2.

Not sure that the announce hints at Ciri though as that image looks closer to lynx school than cat.

1 Like

I sure hope not. Ciri is OP from the get go and makes more sense in a character action game than a RPG.

Makes way more sense to make your own Witcher this time around.

That’s what I thought too. It didn’t look like the wolf school amulet nor like the cat school amulet they sell as official merchandise.

So it can only really be a lynx or a dog I guess.

I’m not really in favour of a custom character in Witcher 4 personally. I’d leave it to the studio to come up with a interesting one.

Wrong ears for dog, definitely lynx (watch it be something entirely different with snow removed now :slight_smile: )

1 Like

School of the Lynx would be interesting since like the school of the Viper it’s never mentioned in the books and thus can be located anywhere. I definitely could see a Witcher game located in Rivia, Nilfgard or another northern state like Kovir and Poviss.

Honestly, I don’t want to make my own Witcher. I forever will be 100% all in with pre-set characters that have backgrounds, stories, etc. as opposed to creating my own character which to be honest, in any game I play that has this (Outriders, Division, etc.), I zoom through in like 5 minutes, if not less.

Add in the possibility of a silent protagonist that usually accompanies creating your character and that’s a double negative right off the bat for me.

Ciri is over powered but that’s an easy fix. Make enemies stronger and more of a threat and increase the numbers that she would have to face. Of course, difficulty level would also impact all of this. If I remember correctly, Ciri can warp and time travel but not at will, she does need to rest and heal up before doing that again there could always be some kind of timer for the warping. The time travel stuff could be pre-determined as part of the story line and side quests. Maybe she needs to go to another planet for whatever reason and you time travel there but can’t go back for a set amount of time as she would have to “heal” herself in order to do so.

https://twitter.com/gamebowski/status/1506022957591797760?s=20&t=nVBHDNDE0BPL67w-qnNVnw

1 Like

I think they are going the introduce completely new characters . And you wont have to make your own character . The game NOT being called Witcher 4 is a big hint .

1 Like