New Witcher game announced (first in a new saga, Unreal Engine 5)

https://twitter.com/witchergame/status/1505945110722326529?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1505945110722326529|twgr^|twcon^s1_c10&ref_url=

We’re happy to announce that the next installment in The Witcher series of video games is currently in development, kicking off a new saga for the franchise.

This is an exciting moment as we’re moving from REDengine to Unreal Engine 5, beginning a multi-year strategic partnership with Epic Games. It covers not only licensing, but technical development of Unreal Engine 5, as well as potential future versions of Unreal Engine, where relevant. We’ll closely collaborate with Epic Games’ developers with the primary goal being to help tailor the engine for open-world experiences.

At this point, no further details regarding the game — such as a development time frame or release date — are available.

7 Likes

Yessss!!! Peak incoming !

2 Likes

@Ruthwik_Rao told ya the next game would be the start of a new saga . Rip Ciri game :phil_unsure:

3 Likes

We knew it was coming, but still good to get confirmation.

I am honestly surprised it will be based on UE5 since they do have their own technology.

2 Likes

yea that was the big surprise

It covers not only licensing, but technical development of Unreal Engine 5, as well as potential future versions of Unreal Engine, where relevant

We’ll closely collaborate with Epic Games’ developers with the primary goal being to help tailor the engine for open-world experiences.

Yoo! I hope this also means CDPR’s technology for dialogue and animation gets included with UE5 at some points, they have, unmatched, the best automated RPG dialogue animations and lip sync in the industry.

Should also mean great things for other open-world RPG developers using UE.

2 Likes

It is, although it is not just a normal license it seems but almost co-development. It is more evidence that it is going to be increasingly difficult for 3rd parties to compete with Unreal’s technical capabilities.

1 Like

Even though we knew more Witcher games were coming, it’s good to have an announcement.

Kind of surprised and a bit disappointed that they are dropping their own engine.

4 Likes

Holy shit, out of the blue!

No Red Engine is interesting.

1 Like

Not really a surprise. Easier to get devs that know UE than to hire devs and teach them a new engine . Plus , RedEngine was one of the reasons for the CP2077 fiasco .

its probably because of how troubled cyberpunk 2077 was they did confirm the RED engine will still be used for cyberpunk 2077 expansions

Yeah, their engine is great.

And not sure where I read this, but it was about how UE isn’t always the greatest for Olen world games.

But CDPR wouldn’t have chosen it if they weren’t confident.

yea them helping epic with it is smart since so many games going open world espesically this gen and since a lot of devs use unreal its gonna help out devs a lot

Probably due to it being easier to hire people this way. Hope they don’t deviate too much from the DNA established in the Witcher 3 due to this though.

Isn’t Avowed UE too?

Oh shit, you right. A new saga , so that means all new cast.

yes

1 Like

Mixed feelings, but I’m excited. Moving to Unreal seems like very good news. My main skepticism is what Witcher looks like without Geralt. I’m also not expecting to see this game release until 2025 at the earliest considering the expansion work being done on 2077.

That rules out a young Vesemir too.

The director is the GWENT standalone game director

Going by his Linkedin the game has been in development for 10 months

1 Like