New Starfield lore video sent out to newsletter subscribers. Details the game's history and titled "The Settled Systems"

I mean the whole “25 years in the making” is marketing jargon mostly, but I do believe Todd Howard when he says that only now they have the technology to fully realise the studio’s vision.

Also, when it comes to marketing for this game nobody should be concerned because this thing will be plastered everywhere come November 2022.

1 Like

Kind of a shame that other forums and reddit are constantly trying to downplay the game. They say people shouldn’t be hyped because we haven’t seen gameplay yet, which is a fair enough point, but the same people who make these points are also the people who keep trying to compare this game with Cyberpunk, ‘jokingly’ call Todd Howard a liar and keep trying to tell people it can’t possibly be good because of F4 and F76, which kind of goes against their statements that you can’t judge a game before you see gameplay.

It’s honestly starting to annoy me, and it’s not limited to Bethesda. The same applies to Obsidian.

2 Likes

Think the 25 years in the making is a reference to the cancelled sci fi rpg Bethesda was working on before Morrowind, it’s still marketing jargon though.

I would personally rather have an instant travel from world-to-world system, unless they make space travel intuitive and actually a fun game in its own right.

I have poor directional sense, in real life and games, making a lot of games that include some kind of navigation ‘getting lost simulators’, which is not a very fun genre.

It is indeed in reference to Starfield, not necessarily the game, but the idea of a spacefaring RPG. It’s a cute limit slogan if you are into all that.

I am willing to bet money that these people wouldn’t say this at all had it still been coming to PS5 as well. We haven’t seen gameplay yet, true, but that would go for any new IP and by any studio and that includes Sony studios in my opinion. BGS proved themselves with Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim and Fallout 4 and only one misstep with 76, which isn’t fully a BGS game.

If it’s a brand new studio, with people that don’t have a track record yet I’d agree, definitely wait and see then but this is a studio that has a stellar track record as far as I’m concerned.

4 Likes

a lot of words to say " @Hindle was right in this case" lol

Yeah the game doesn’t need a ship that the player can actually pilot. That’s just an unnecessary feature.

What I’m hoping for is a ship that is a physical space to walk around in, maybe customise a bit & talk to your followers or squad-mates.

Yep, the Mass Effect approach, that would work.

I mean if they could make piloting a really appealing and fun mini game in itself then that’s good. I just really dread the idea of having to do something boring, laborious and potentially getting lost in-between any section of fun gameplay.

1 Like

You’ll be able to pilot the ship… that’s at the core of Todd’s vision of the game and why they had to revamp the engine.

1 Like

don draper faint GIF

I would greatly prefer being able to fly the ship, but where are you reading it’s at the core of Todd’s vision of the game?

Would be good if they made that an option.

They’re going to have to make it really good for me not to want to skip that.

I mean it’s common sense when you consider his idea of a “grand space RPG”… that Todd has said could only be done with the hardware that is available now, and a complete engine revamp. He also said starfield takes significant influence from Outer Wilds…

We’ve also seen leaked images of spacecraft which seem to be customizable.

All signs point to flyable ships.

1 Like

I was about to mention Outer Wilds…:sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’m sure you can just use fast travel… but if you want to explore asteroids etc…

You can free fly.

1 Like

Fast travel usuall implies going somewhere you’ve already been.

I’d like to explore asteroids, but by selecting an asteroid on a map and having my ship go there.

My issue with things like this is that there is a difference between a WRPG and a space flight simulator. They appeal to different people.

A space sci fi WRPG appeals to me massively. A space flight simulator doesn’t appeal to me at all.

Well, I doubt it’s going to be Kerbal space program or Microsoft flight simulator levels of complexity… so I wouldn’t worry. :smile:

For Todd’s vision of a Sci Fi epic which has never been done before… flyable spacecraft and traversal between planets is key. Gives you that next level of immersion…

1 Like

I mean it would be more realistic if you had to do your grocery shopping, household chores, pay your bills and take a shit once a day in GTA, but I don’t know if it would make it a better game. :joy:

Well it’s a SPACE RPG… not a action adventure game or FPS shooter.

A lot of people would like to fly the spacecraft which is at the core of scifi as a genre surprisingly enough… space travel…

I wouldn’t exactly compare it to taking a dump or paying bills.

1 Like