New Starfield lore video sent out to newsletter subscribers. Details the game's history and titled "The Settled Systems"

Ha, guess it depends on your tastes. Space flight, if realistic, is pretty boring in reality.

Well, given the fact we donā€™t have actual ā€œpersonal spacecraftā€ that can be maneuvered easily.

How much basis in reality is it lol

Itā€™s not just an Xbox thing with Bethesda. Iā€™ve been seeing the ā€œActually, Skyrim was never that greatā€ backlash for years now. Same with Bioshock Infinite. People love to push back on whatā€™s popular and acclaimed.

4 Likes

Well the surroundings are ā€¦ Black ā€¦ Doesnā€™t sound all that thrilling. :joy:

I would expect them to implement the usual feature of ā€œrandom encountersā€ā€¦ but in the space setting.

Asteroids, hostile boardings etc.

The more I think of it, the more I donā€™t get how this would work.

I mean the actual distance between stars is unfeasibly long, so there has to be some kind of warp/hyperdrive thing going on for at least most of the journey, right?

Maybe thereā€™s some law that you canā€™t warp in too close to planet and you have to do the rest of the trip by normal engines? I donā€™t know, seems a bit off.

Starfield will be exactly like Kingdom Hearts

1 Like

Well, Iā€™m not actually sure there will be multiple solar systems to exploreā€¦

But with the hypotheticalā€¦ yeah, a hyperdrive system between solar systems and then obviously free flying when youā€™re within a system of planets would make sense.

1 Like

Would have to be nearer a planet than the edge of the solar system. Think itā€™s something like 4-5 hours to Pluto at light speed.

But I guess if you warped in between planets and then had to approach the planet manually there could be some cool stuff like space pirates, people offering you races etc. to make it fun.

Guys, guysā€¦Donā€™t you remember? I canā€™t believe you forgot already

todd-howard-it-just-works

1 Like

Oh good lord, the gummi ship parts, horrible. Lol.

1 Like

Really? I donā€™t remember ever reading any quote from Todd Howard even suggesting such a thing, let alone outright stating itā€™s the core of his vision & the reason they revamped the engine.

Help us out with a link?

Few posts up Iā€™ve explained why I think that.

Heā€™s directly said that Starfield is inspired significantly by Outer Wilds and it could only be made with next gen hardwareā€¦

Ah, itā€™s just your opinion? No bother then.

I thought Iā€™d missed an interview where Todd was dropping some juicy info :smile:

This article is well worth the read for a snapshot of his vision.

1 Like

Canā€™t read. The Telegraph is behind a paywall online.

Does he mention the player flying a ship in that article?

Todd has never said anything about flying a ship afaik

Its all been speculation based on changes made to the engine and exploring

Outer Wilds or Outer Worlds? Because they handle space flight very differently :sweat_smile:

Donā€™t jinx it!

Outer Wilds.

3 Likes

He definitely didnā€™t say it outright, thatā€™s for sure.

Todd Howard did indeed say the tech wasnā€™t there yet, right after Starfield and TES VI were announced, but that was about TES VI especially, not necessarily Starfield.

Or did he mention it again for Starfield too this year? That being said I am glad it is for current gen Xbox only. But if Howard himself mentioned that things just werenā€™t possible on old gen Iā€™m not sure.