New Console Woes: Are the PS5 and Xboxes really experiencing a lot of issues?

Update your TV’s firmware, also reset the console

1 Like

I’m really curious on why Sony has 2-3 different fans for their console. It might be something around discovering cooling issues after manufacturing the first batch

1 Like

Could just be how its designed. It’s bulky and there is a ton to cool. Xbox opted for something more compat which may pay dividends for cooling, but may also be trickier if it gets hot. Not sure.

no, thats not what I’m saying. PS5 as one unit has a different fan from another manufactured PS5. They are using 2-3 different fan models for the PS5 so some people have a different fan on their console from another person who owns a PS5.

This is also accounting for why some people have loud fan noises and some PS5’s are quiet.

https://twitter.com/koopaskull/status/1331277583326056451

The only reason this would happen is if they realized they needed a different solution after testing the initial fan.

Oh, that’s weird as hell.

I did both. I have a CX and received and update the day my Series X arrived. As I said, disabling Instant Game Response and enabling Freesync has fixed the issue.

BTW, are downloads slow as hell? They are as slow as on my One X. My PS4 goes full 500 Mb while the Xbox struggles to maintain between 60 and 120 Mb.

I can’t compare to the PS5, but my Series X (after the first few days) has reliably been at least 100 Mbps faster than my One X downloading a game or update.

Neither get to my full download speed even if I isolate them on the network. Also, they are both tested connected by ethernet. However, when doing the Xbox speed test from the console menu, they both rate my max speeds at a bit over what my plan speed is rated at.

Lucky you! My Series X is almost half as slow as my god damn PS4 Slim, and it makes me angry because I barely touch the PS4 lol.

I’ve been having slightly faster downloads than I had with the One X. My One X maxed out at 400 mbit/s briefly but mostly saw around 250 mbit/s peaks. My Series X maxed out at 500 mbit/s for a few minutes but mostly sees around 350 mbit/s peaks.

I’m on Gigabit cable internet from the horrible Cox Communications provider in the Cleveland, Ohio area.

Hey guys, anybody know how fast the USB ports of the Xbox are since they are type A I assume they are slower than the new type c ports?

1 Like

I believe 5gbps speed, i think they cut cost on this and WIFI chip or no USB C

Ok I see, so presumably every external SSD will do the job of getting great load times for Back Compat games. Thanks

2 Likes

Couple of issues with my box/the OS that I identified yesterday and wondered if anyone else had seen the same things.

First is an issue with using the wired connection, had this since day 1. The console was attached to the same cable I’d just unplugged my 1x from (which had worked flawlessly for 1x) ran through set up and day 1 update fine but stopped working seemingly at random reporting a teredo error and unable to get NAT status. So I started using WiFi (no problems) until I could find out how to access ipv6 tunnelling options on my router.

Finally got this info yesterday so was doing that and all the usual things (static IP, port forwarding) but was running into a problem where connection status would only update from wired to wireless from cold boot.

So for the many restarts to test the set up I turned off instant on and noticed that I can only get a successful wired connection after a complete reboot with either power cable unplugged or power options -> “complete shutdown” any other restart e.g. hold xbox button and select restart xbox results in teredo error on start up.

Any one else seeing this or know why the restart xbox options is not doing a full shutdown?

While doing all this I also ran into another problem where at random when starting the box up (from cold) the power light blinks twice in quick succession repeating for x amount of time. Sometimes it would then start up after 4 blinks, sometime 6, 8 or once left for a few minutes and did not recover.

In the old world this seems to indicate an incomplete shutdown. Any one know what this means for series consoles 'cause google doesn’t.

1 Like

Normally, company such as Microsoft and Sony will try to multi source components, this reduces various risks, also knowing that you’re not over reliant on a single supplier which can make price negotiations very difficult. Note that the SoC is different, AMD really doesn’t have that much competition, but Microsoft and Sony are also paying NRE to develop the technology. With the fans, I would expect that Sony set the deign and performance parameters within some tolerance, but would expect some small differences which Sony considered acceptable.

My XSX has hard crashed twice playing Borderlands 3 but no other problems. Zero problems with my PS5 so far.

That’s entirely a statement about the game than the console. I’m had so many hard crashes from Borderlands 3 on the One X and One S, I can’t even count them. It’s such a horrible crash prone game.

1 Like

That’s what I figured, because I’ve had zero other issues.

1 Like

Considering getting a PS5 Spring next year… hearing a ton of people getting real bad coil whine? Anyone here got that?

Xbox hard reboot protocol is to hold the power button on the Xbox down for ten seconds…

Restart though does work for me but I assume it never completely cuts power.

1 Like

Do you guys think this is the reason why we are seeing so many issues on the PS5?