New Console Woes: Are the PS5 and Xboxes really experiencing a lot of issues?

Here’s another problem,

The fans aren’t same in PS5 units which accounts for different noise

Why would they use two different fans with different amounts of blades? Is Sony that cheap?

Ive had some issues with my series x but nothing console breaking.

1. Reseting console sometimes boots it up in like 640p.

2. Two instances of launching a game and getting something along the lines of source not recognized in my oled.

3. Controller being disconnected while the light is on (seems to be a bug since the one x)

1 Like

It definitely seems like the PS5 is having way more issues than the Series X. But at the same time, there’s also way more PS5s out there so that could explain it.

My Series X arrived today and I have had 2 issues. The first one is with VRR (that might be my tv tho as I own an LG CX) It seems that whenever VRR is enabled at 4k 120, the console with refuse to show signal from time to time. I was on the dashboard, opened CiV VI and no signal. I restart the console and half the time it does that.

The second issue is whenever I save a clip or take a screen another, the audio cracks like a hoe. It has happened with Cold War but I haven’t been able to test it with other games.

1 Like

Don’t think this is the issue, Series X is also over the million number with constantly being sold out.

What the bigger issue is GPU failing, I have seen maybe one or two cases for Series X while there are hundreds of reports on Twitter and Reddit showing a screen with artifacts flying around.

Phil touched on this in the past that cooling is going to be a massive problem to solve which Series X did but Sony had to over engineer it with a huge fan and liquid metal.

1 Like

The memory on the PS5 isn’t being cooled fairly well either.

Yeah, according to the Gamers Nexus video the major issue is with the RAM in the PS5, the SOC seems to be fine.

1 Like

According to his findings the SoC is completely fine. The memory though is a different story because 90 degrees is uncomfortably high if that is a typical temperature.

Right, I just said that…The interesting thing is that the game they performed the tests with was Astro (I forget the reasons why they used that particular game), which makes the results even more surprising. I can only imagine the temps while running the new Horizon and GoW.

2 Likes

Happened to me losing signal input while playing Warships and Warzone I assume due to 120hz vrr setings.

1 Like

I am just a little surprised in general it is running that hot because the memory modules are not clocked ridiculously high. He does offer simple things Sony could do to bring the temps lower, as I cannot imagine Sony is ok with those temperatures if they are indicative, because eventually the modules will likely fail in time .

They can update the console to control the fan speed, which apparently they have already done recently.

1 Like

I don’t think he said fan speed was the issue, but just not the best design and how there is poor thermal contact with the modules and heat does not seem to be drawn away efficiently.

1 Like

Yes, but at this point it’s one way they can mitigate the heat issue. In the end it appears to be bad design on Sony’s part.

1 Like

I think it would be minimal at best because it is the thermal compound coverage that is the main issue not air flow. It is keeping the SoC at acceptable temperatures.

I deactivated the Instant Game Response setting on the TV and activated Freesync Premium and it’s working fine now.

No advantages to freesync premium over standard VRR I read so I have it turned off.

Also why did you turn otf instant game response?

First crash. Fired her immediately back up and she seems fine, no knocking or any odd noises. However, I’m noticing that many of my games are queued up for updates, not sure if related but quite a coincidence.

But with the “thump” on startup and now this all in the same day I must admit that I’m getting a tad nervous. :confounded:

Because whenever it’s on, I’ll receive random “no signal” errors from my TV or the console. I don’t know who’s to blame lol.