Netflix names Microsoft as partner for new consumer subscription plan

It wouldn’t work even with the best CGI possible

It would with a proper writing, but it would be not much different from anime itself at that point.

A lot of anime stuff is naturally quirky

Death Note for example was adapted horrendously by Netflix but moments like “the potato chip” or the “delete” scenes in the anime will never translate well to live action because of how OTT they are

CG and high budget isn’t gonna change that

You’re just going to ignore the part where I listed most (all?) of their videogame adaptations? Every single one which is considered fresh at RT.

I thought we were talking about videogame adaptations, what other storytelling IP does Microsoft own?

Their streaming tech is actually very advanced and top notch. Some tech talks about how they handle failures are pretty neat.

There’s a reason why the acronym faang means a lot for tech workers, the n in the word represents Netflix as one of the must work at locations.

Talent wise Netflix is stacked with engineers that are experts in streaming. I don’t think anyone minus Google matches their streaming tech.

Streaming tech for TV is different than streaming for Games.

Licensed, but Bridgerton the Game would be interesting

I agree about talent, but TV streaming is different from gaming streaming.

I personally I would prefer Paramount+ and maybe WB (anecdotally with debt WB is almost 100b too)

On the second though, Netflix acquisition would be the type of acquisiton that Microsoft would exactly do. They like doing big splashes with their actions, rather “we do something small and grow from there” like Apple does.

But anecdotally, I believe Microsoft won’t be able to afford Netflix. It would cost up to 100-110b probably and their cash at hand was 104b at the end of March. Granted they will have 120b after this quarter but still, that’s a lot of money at once. It remains to be seen what they are gonna acquire in the future, but I don’t see them going after Netflix unless they have 150-200b in cash.

I don’t think cash on hand is a limiting factor

1 Like

Microsoft is very cautious with any other types of acquisiton (merge, stocks or loans).

Based on what

1 Like

Their history

Not really. Lately, they use cash on hand because when it is sitting around it doesn’t do as much for them. There is larger potential upside to holding onto stock and shares than there is interest of cash.

Kind of true…they would in all likelyhood propose a merger or simply…cull spending profits for a year…18 months…which is how long it would take to close

If they want Netflix, they have the money to do so, cash in hand has nothing to do with it

and you’re right, they seem to be going after big companies and major IP now vs what they did in 2018/19 but Netflix would be a very different acquisition than the others and will be more of an MS acquisition than an Xbox one

I dont see them ever buying Netflix though

Well, obviously it won’t go under Microsoft Gaming and it will be akin Linkedin or Nuance.

What did Microsoft buy using shares rather than cash?

Too big size disparity for a merger.

Well, that’s fair argument that until the deal is done, they don’t actually lose money.

I’m glad we’re discussing Netflix acquisition now :phil_lmao:

Sky is a limit :rocket:

Watching ILP they mentioned this acquisition

Considering their talks about ads in F2P games and now Netflix partnership, it was a long term play.