Netflix names Microsoft as partner for new consumer subscription plan

Netflix issue now more than ever is that they don’t really have the major IPs to bring in subscribers

They ‘lost’ all the Marvel shows and movies to Disney and other big stuff like the Witcher is licensed so would be no use to Xbox

They have huge shows like Stranger Things and Squid Game obviously but do they have any other major IPs like Amazon or Disney do? and how much of them seem like something that would translate to games?

Maybe MS interest would be to expand into entertainement with shows and movies, also increasing the medias for their own IP’s. To me, it could make sense to acquire one, if not the biggest actor in the movie streaming industry.

Because Netflix opted not to renew their license agreements. They could have kept the shows and made additional seasons, but they didn’t want to pay the new prices.

Why would Disney allow Netflix to renew the licenses if they have their own streaming service?

Because this was still early on and before the Disney+ service, around end of 2018. It still took a number of years before Disney+ allowed mature content on that service. In the US all the mature content was restricted to Hulu instead.

:eyes:

I think a Stranger Things game could be cool and that’s my whole point for Netflix they’ll get access to all the vast IP Xbox owns. Netflix could steal the rights back for stuff like Fallout from Amazon if they got closer to Microsoft and such. Xbox could get the benefit of being tied marketing wise and other ways with Netflix, doesn’t always have to be 1:1 games for it to be a good thing for Xbox.

1 Like

I’m opening a can of worms here folks…

I’ve gotta say, why isn’t this stuff applied to the Xbox dashboard ads? Ever since the first 360 dashboard they have always featured ads that were irrelevant.

Even now I get ads on my dashboard for Fall Guys, which is a title I already have installed on my console. If one argued that it’s there to remind me to play the game: if I click on the ad it doesn’t launch the game. It takes me to the store page.

With all of the ad competitors out there literally showing me ads about stuff I was thinking about that day, the ads I see on the dashboard are hilariously out of touch.

I would have figured that they would have created a psychological profile of me to understand what genres I’m in love with, what games I’m looking forward to, and the type of experiences I’m looking for.

It’s ironic because the Gamepass app on the Xbox creates a recommended list that looks pretty accurate to my tastes.

I say all this because I don’t mind ads like a lot of people do. I just want them to be relevant and inform me on products that would interest me.

So I think MS should apply this service to the Xbox dashboard, which I suspect is currently set to show predetermined ads to their entire population (or per region) no matter what their tastes are. This is akin to ad purchases for newspapers and print media rather than allowing the flexibility that you see with web ads.

Targeted ads on Facebook are pretty great for advertisers and I’m surprised neither the Xbox or PlayStation feature something like this. If I am an indie that created a Metroidvania game, it would be cool to pay $X for 100,000 unique dashboard ad impressions for gamers that love Metroidvanias (which could be extrapolated by the number of Metroidvania games the user has played along with their gamerscore for those games). I’d want the algorithm smart enough to not show the ad for people that do own the game. Targeted ads allow advertisers to hit their audience and not waste their money on impressions on users that would not be interested in.

And the beauty is you could open up your parameters to actually show ads to players that typically aren’t part of your audience, but you would have another campaign for that and maybe not spend as much. Maybe the Metroidvania game features a WW2 veteran and advertising to some FPS players make sense.

The other benefit is that these campaigns don’t have to be limited. With targeted ads, a Metroidvania fan could see an ad for a game that is 4 years old but they haven’t played.

Anyways…bring this to console, MS!

2 Likes

Steal the rights? Does Netflix even have a budget to compete with Amazon there? Does Netflix have high budget shows (like Amazon LoTR for example)?

Netflix definitely has big budget shows, not necessarily like LOTR because that’s an outlier, but they spend stupid amounts of money on content, Stranger Things S4 was reportedly $270m

I see. Personally I don’t watch it - don’t watch TV in general. I have always associated Netflix with cheap stuff mainly. Though probably what contributes to that is that other streaming services have bigger IPs that I know, while what I hear from Netlix are mainly bad adaptations, bad quality licensed anime and cancellations :joy: Don’t know if Netflix has anything GoT production level for example.

They have a saturation of content, most of it is mediocre or trash, but they have a lot of quality content as well buried within. Their best can be up there with HBO in quality and production but again it’s either buried within the mediocrity or plagued by algorithm based cancellations.

Personally I think WBD would still be a better ‘get’ than Netflix these days.

The in-house HBO content is top notch IMO with titles such as Succession, Westworld & Euphoria.

They have loads of children’s content including classics from my childhood such as Looney Tunes, Scooby Doo and Tom & Jerry, in addition to more modern stuff like Powerpuff Girls, Ben 10, Adventure Time and Steven Universe.

All of DC Comics (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman etc) and of course WB Games and their IP’s such as Mortal Kombat.

Discovery also has tonnes of content.

Imagine all of the spin off video game potentials, most importantly Oprah Winfrey The Game :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

In the past I would have said Netflix for sure, maybe they can still be steered back on track, who knows.

7 Likes

Netflix would be a pretty big money pit.

Netflix right now loses a ton of money yearly. Creating original content is the name of the game and it’s tough for them to invest so much in talent and films that don’t always pan out. Guess that’s similar to games.

The ceo of Netflix used to be in the MS board of directors so I don’t see their friendship as too surprising.

If MS does acquire them I wonder how significantly Netflix’s streaming tech would help out Game Pass.

1 Like

Streaming tech? Probably not much. Netflix’s main benefit is the market presense across the world and a lot of subscribers.

Netflix being the first to market, benefits a lot from being the “default” subscription service for many, however with other services growing it becomes more and more obvious that Netflix just does not have enough big IPs (one of the reasons why Amazon went after MGM) and it does not help that their adaptations are not that good either (well, it is a problem everywhere because a lot of writers do not care about the original source).

I’m not sure where this is coming from. Cause my impression was that this was one area where Netflix was doing pretty well.

• Arcane has 100% at Rotten Tomatoes
  • Castlevania is at 95%
  • DOTA: Dragon’s Blood is at 85%
  • Resident Evil is at 62%
  • The Witcher is at 81%

And it would appear they’re happy with what they’re seeing in their end too, considering they’re doubling-down on more videogame adaptions like Assassin’s Creed and several others.

2 Likes

Arcane and Castlevania are amazing. Witcher is good.

But a lot of others aren’t, mainly the anime live action adaptations.

Them doubling down on it has nothing to do with being happy but more like them not having a choice - Netflix just does not own a lot of established IPs they can leverage for their subscriber retention (like people subscribe to one service to watch Star Wars or DC or Star Trek etc.). With the growth of transmedia franchises it is a no-brainer for them to grab IPs from other medium (like Amazon with Fallout, LoTR for example). I think only Apple was able to avoid the need for that, but aside me not being sure - Apple is Apple.

But aside not being Apple, the problem of Netflix has always been that lack of strong IPs, that have the long legs Amazon also realized that thus they acquired MGM, but Netflix just does not have money for acquisitions like this.

Anime live adaptations are in general bad most of the time simply due to not having enough budget.

Nah I think it’s due to how hard it is to convert anime storytelling to live action. A lot of what makes anime anime is stuff that can’t be taken to live action.

Because it requires a lot of CGI. Slice of life can be adapted just fine but anything that involves any type of super power requires GoT level of budget.