Netflix names Microsoft as partner for new consumer subscription plan

We’re thrilled to be named Netflix’s technology and sales partner to help power their first ad-supported subscription offering.

At launch, consumers will have more options to access Netflix’s award-winning content. Marketers looking to Microsoft for their advertising needs will have access to the Netflix audience and premium connected TV inventory. All ads served on Netflix will be exclusively available through the Microsoft platform. Today’s announcement also endorses Microsoft’s approach to privacy, which is built on protecting customers’ information.

Microsoft has been slowly amassing all the tools for a robust ads business: It owns Bing in search; it owns LinkedIn, a growing social media advertising platform; and Activision Blizzard, the video game publisher it is set to acquire, sells in-game ads.

“The tip of the spear is gaming,” said Tal Chalozin, chief technology officer at Innovid, the CTV and digital ad and analytics platform. “Microsoft is clearly a powerhouse in gaming, and my bet is the partnership between Microsoft and Netflix is just a tiny piece of a much bigger collaboration.”

6 Likes

I am hoping maybe they work out a discount for netflix for those on ultimate gamepass. And netflix used to be on amazon servers

:eyes: :eyes:

Like I said yesterday!

Netflix is still predominantly on AWS.

Put more Game Pass ads into Netflix. I would prefer Disney+ though.

This is just the beginning of their partnership. Analyst suggested Microsoft also won out because Amazon, Google have competitive services to Netflix streaming. In the future when existing contracts are up with AWS they could be migrating to Azure. This also means Microsoft will be getting closer to Netflix and use them as a competitor for movie/tv streaming to Prime and Youtube subscriptions.

3 Likes

For Google are you implying Youtube? Because I am not sure if Netflix competes with Youtube.

Personally I prefer the content of Disney+. At least from IP standpoint.

They have that Youtube Red thing still right? I guess that counts

Even without that though they are still more of a competitor to Netflix than MS, the amount of time kids spend watching stuff on youtube is insane and I guess for Netflix the more they spend time there the less chance of them getting a Netflix sub

First time hearing that :joy:

Which should absolutely not under any circumstance be confused with Red Tube …

2 Likes

lol yeah I never hear anyone talking about it, I think it’s a way of using youtube and not getting ads, it also was for shows, Cobra Kai I think was on it but it’s on Netflix now so maybe it’s dead now :phil_lmao:

Honestly, the first time I heard they were calling it that I was like, wtf were they thinking

Yes.

On June 18, 2018, Youtube rebranded “Youtube Red” the service as YouTube Premium.

On January 18, 2022, Youtube officially shut down their Youtube Originals group. Some YTOriginal series were shopped around and sold to other companies much earlier as everyone knows with Cobra Kai being acquired by Netflix in June 2020.

https://twitter.com/rkyncl/status/1483502275804872704

Youtube Premium as a subscription service. It was in the article if you read. And Google have plans to grow it to be like Netflix in the future. Obviously Disney+, but the significance of the deal is that Amazon and Google have cloud and entertainment subscriptions.

Any service that stops you from watching their service competes with them, I would even through in gaming. You have a choice to watch YT or gaming and if you pick gaming Google won’t make money.

1 Like

Oh and major rumour is Microsofts future acquisition of Netflix. LOL :thinking: logically

Game Pass + Netflix entertainment bundle would be epic, Netflix gets access to all the Xbox IP to make movies and shows, Xbox gets access too Netflix IP to make games.

3 Likes

I would be down with that.

2 Likes

Oof (looking at Netflix adaptations)

What Netflix IPs can even be made into the games?

Stranger Things for one off the top of my head