MS really needs to go in and restructure Mojang

WHAT

4 Likes

Are you seriously suggesting that developing the features RT patch for Xbox during console launch (or simply not cancelling announced things like Super Duper Pack) or giving Xbox customers GP perks and premium features (or even basic ones on par with other XGS games, currently missing and it’s not like they were acquired in 2021, but in 2014) or making exclusive spinoffs would ruin MC? Come on, it’s borderline trolling.

2 Likes

Well, its a thing for NVidia customers :woman_shrugging: Why cant it be a thing for me? Simple saying “we showed it to you to sell you this box but its not a thing for you” is not a good argument. It was demonstrated to me to sell me their hardware. NVidia simply did a better job here than Microsoft and their own teams. Nothing more to that.

2 Likes

I didn’t say anything about exclusivity ruining MC and I suggest you find another word to describe views you find disagreeable.

My view is very simple: MS should treat MC like a platform agnostic product and not impose any restrictions beyond that of the hardware running the games. No exclusive content, access, perks or updates.

MC didn’t start as an Xbox franchise nor is it perceived as one. MS would be dumb to leverage the health of the IP when it’s basically on top of the world to grow console marketshare when that is a) no longer their top priority, and b) will likely grow substantial anyway.

They should put resources towards growing the franchise itself because having all those spinoffs launch into Game Pass for “free” yet still full price on competing platforms will move plenty of hardware units for years to come.

Again, doing the things I said above it’s not restricting shit, Play Anywhere is a Xbox feature, so is Game Pass (concerning perks) and also DirectX Raytracing. You can’t miss something it was never there on other platforms, no? The fact they announced the Super Duper Pack (and 4K was exclusive to Xbox One X on console) proves that someone there at MS at least thought having Xbox exclusive perks was sensible and they made a big deal about it (unfortunately it all went to waste), but here is misteriously seen as a mortal sin. XD

The only “aggressive” move would be exclusive spin-offs, which would not change a thing about the existing Minecraft, it’s basic stuff leveraging your IPs for your platform, a console exclusive Dungeons (and Steam launch day one, not day ~500) would have done no damage to the brand at all.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone has made the argument against platform-related perks, only hardware-related ones. MS can’t force Sony to adopt Game Pass any more than they can force them support crossplay or free cloud saves.

I’m sure you’ll find a diversity of opinion on all sorts of things among Xbox execs. They’ve tried a lot of different things in the past. I think it’s more telling that they moved on from that than them trying it to begin with.

Existing MC is critical to maintain, but MC has only just dipped its toes in the waters of what’s possible with spinoffs, and imposing exclusivity on spinoffs would shortsighted and quite possibly even an obstacle to growing the franchise. It’s entirely unnecessarily risky and the fallout will be atrocious.

We know Mojang has at least two games in development. I’m sure there will be more. Just having them on Game Pass will be big.

You only need to scroll the topic, loool, for someone here asking for Play Anywhere or GP perks is already too much. Also MS forced Nintendo and Sony hands for Xbox Live login in MC, so they can do anything IF they really want.

Also cancelling a highly anticipated (and marketed) update is bad in any, way, shape or form, there is no but.

It’s a 1st party studio and IP, there would be no imposition, it would only be normal. The fact the notion itself is so opposed is strange to me, because at that point you could make the argument for any XGS/Bethesda game if you think about it long enough.

1 Like

While it would be one of the dumbest decisions MS could make to take Minecraft off other platforms (and yes they 100% can do this) It wouldn’t be a bad idea for spin offs to be exclusive…Dungeons should of been exclusive…if they make a new Minecraft spin off it should be Xbox/PC/xCloud

3 Likes

Yep

The employees are happy, Minecraft is more popular than ever. That’s what MS cares about.

Cool thats not the point

The only people upset are Xbox fans who want list wars.

They made this deal a long time ago and it’s worked great for both sides.

2 Likes

Can we stop dismissing valid complaints as list wars? Its ridiculous Proven if you think everyone here is doing this for console wars and cookie points. Parroting acquire Sega and a dozen studios isnt list wars but criticizing Mojang and the handling overall of the Minecraft IP is sure.

Also yeah the deal works fine for Both sides but it could be better in many ways. But yeah LIST WARS :+1:

8 Likes

There are two things to consider here, Xbox as a platform and Minecraft as an IP/platform.

Taking Minecraft (or spin offs) and making it exclusive to Xbox will push the Xbox platform but would likely have a negative impact on growth of Minecraft as an IP/platform.

Keeping Minecraft multiplatform allows it to continue to grow as an IP/platform but does not have a positive impact on Xbox as a platform.

I don’t think it’s all that easy of a decision. Companies like Microsoft, Google, and (to a lesser extent) Apple have accepted that having their platforms/services available across ecosystems is a positive. Not having them available provides a weakness for a competitor to come in with a cross platform solution and take your spot. I know Minecraft is not Office, iTunes, or Apple Music, but it is more than a normal gaming IP.

1 Like

I dont think having Dungeons as an exclusive spin-off or anything else will be detrimental to the overall main Minecraft experience or platform.

1 Like

Minecraft is much larger than Xbox. Besides wanting an exclusive game for “reasons”, why does Mojang need to make any spin off games exclusive?

1 Like

Minecraft is quite literally one of the biggest entertainment IPs of all time. It transcends gaming. Locking it down to Xbox platforms is a very bad idea.

1 Like

Minecraft can be larger than xbox but what does that have to so with leveraging the studio and IP you own for your own benefit? Nobody is taking maim Minecraft away from current owners or any other initiatives.

And what reason to make a spin-off game exclusive? The same reason you would want xbox to acquire studios like Sega, CD, etc. Because it drives subscriptions and gives you exclusive content which is literally the life and blood of subscription services.

1 Like

The minecraft community is huge and Xbox doesn’t want to disrupt that. End of story.

1 Like

Nobody is disrupting the minecraft community. Trying to brush away valid criticism with stuff that doesnt even make sense by saying its list wars.

Tell me what does Dungeons have to do with base Minecraft other than being based on it. Its a completely different genre and type of game.

1 Like