MS really needs to go in and restructure Mojang

The two things are not in contrast with each other, lol, it seems to me you are grasping at straws.

2 Likes

I get what some are saying Mojang is somewhat independent from Xbox, but they still fall under Microsoft gaming studios. Anyways, Microsoft should’ve made dungeons Microsoft exclusive and same with any other spinoff. At the moment not really any benefits for xbox gamers. Heck, even the Playstation version of the game has more features than Xbox version since they’ve made a PSVR game for it

4 Likes

Im not so sure this is a thing to improve for Mojang in Sweden. I think they handle most of the Minecraft direction and Java stuff the OP is about. Xbox, Bedrock, Education and others are done at offices in Redmond and UK. And I agree, these offices have to do better (still waiting for Raytracing on Series X which was demoed over 15 months ago), but that is not what OP is talking about.

If anything I think what they should do a form a new team to do all the updates and improvements for the Xbox version.

I agree with most of this.

Even if Minecraft isn’t exclusive to the Xbox eco system it should be the premier place to play it.

I think supporting Switch is fine but Microsoft should be bullish on getting Nintendo to accept Xbox live integration as the price for any port.

3 Likes

Totally agree. No one misses out on the core Minecraft experience or it’s add-ons on any platform, but if you’re on the Xbox, you get a bit more value.

I’m married to the idea that there should be a Minecraft platformer, which could be Microsoft’s answer to Sonic and Mario (and considering the high quality of the recent titles, Sackboy or Astro for Sony).

But the one huge distinguishing feature of this platformer game would be a level editor (which is basically Minecraft) and the ability to share levels.

If I was XGS this is one place where I’d put my foot down saying that “we’re going to make this happen no matter what and no matter who develops it” because while Mojang, at the end of the day, does have autonomy as a developer this is Microsoft’s IP now.

4 Likes

Agree. It’s fine as is. Minecraft is making Xbox a lot of money, which is helping the entire division.

Let Mojang do their thing

1 Like

I agree that Mojang is not currently really supporting Xbox in any meaningful way beyond day 1 gamepass launches, but I also don’t see how they can do much else.

Even that is a bit contestable given how goddamn late Minecraft came to pc gamepass lol

To be fair on that front, i think they had to wait until the mojang account and microsoft account merging for that to happen

Not sure how much experience you guys have with supporting large complex code bases, but I can pretty much assure you that the teams working on this are working as hard as they can. It’s not as simple as saying they need to do better, roadmaps and priorities will not be decided by the people doing the work. And time scales for any particular feature will depend on two things priority and complexity.

As with anything there will also be a cost benefit side to new features. You want ray tracing for series X but do the majority of the users? Or would they prefer to have new biomes?

1 Like

They promoted the Series X with raytraced Minecraft. I didn’t expect it last year at launch, so i would say i am pretty patient. I worked on smaller and larger software projects for over 25 years. If i show my customers a working thing and then go radio silent for 20 months lots of questions will be raised.

As far as we know the raytracing collaboration with NVidia didn’t impact the development timeline of Caves & Cliffs.

But they didn’t show you a working thing and say they were implementing it in game. they said exactly the opposite of that.

“Microsoft also made it clear to us, after the fact, that this was a technical demonstration of ray tracing on the Xbox Series X and in no way was a product announcement.”

First link that popped up in google

I guess what I’m saying is don’t go on the internet and disparage a teams work ethic based on assumption, speculation and an incorrect premise.

They announced the Super Duper Pack for One X at E3 2017 and then they cancelled it years after, that’s a fact.

IDK why for so many people Mojang isn’t required to keep up with XGS standards (while I’m sure they get all the benefits of being under MS corp), like @CallMeCraig said I really doubt RTX update destroyed their pipeline, but mysteriously enough, any Xbox update is apparently impossible and too demanding. XD

1 Like

Minecraft has a pretty good middling community, as I understand it for the most part Mojang implements mods through the games store. Would implementing a secondary free middling option like Bethesda did with Skyrim and Fallout 4, be a good idea or should they only stick to the ones tgry have curated?

Java edition has super free and open modding, but its only on pc.

If you hype something up as part of a product presentation such a disclaimer is nonsense and they know that. Of course it was a product announcement.

I didn’t do that. Raytracing was demonstrated on Xbox Series X, that is not an assumption. Its a fact. Its also a fact that NVidia RTX customers got their raytracing implementation. As a Minecraft user on Xbox this looks like a repeat of the Super Duper Graphix pack, now that was an incorrect premise :wink:

1 Like

It’s more like day 700 gamepass releases, both on console and pc it arrived 2 years later on GP (2019 on console ane now on pc, both 2 years after the creation of GP on these platforms). Obviously Dungeons not on day one would have been ludicrous, but they still had their share of independence: no Play Anywhere, no Steam launch and multiplatform release (the opposite of XGS), no cross-play and save at launch. Any other XGS game launched in that state would have met people’s rage.

I think @Mort summarized very well what they could do, it isn’t even a monumental task, it’s only a matter of choice.

1 Like

I mean if you can still say that after reading the quote I don’t know what to say. They said it wasn’t a thing you knew that secretly it was a thing and now you are annoyed that it’s not a thing like they said all along. And people question the entitled gamer meme.

MS would be mad to start playing with platform exclusivity now - on anything MC related.

It’s an evergreen IP that will still be played 10, 20, 30 years from now.

Quite literally, generations of kids have and will continue to play the game.

There are people that started playing as kids themselves and now have kids playing.

The value of that is incalculable.

Not only would it hurt the brand to go exclusive now (in any form), what would you get in return other than short term success? Giving up all that real estate on other platforms would just leave the door wide open for Roblox and other competitors to come in.

If MS want to leverage the IP to sell more hardware, they have Game Pass. If MC is a big factor in your decision-making on what box to get (whether you love the game or have kids that do), it being “free” on Xbox should be enough combined with all the other family friendly, E-rated games I’m sure MS has cooking… right, Phil?