Movies and TV shows thread

I just watched bullet train, i thought it was very good. Definitely worth a watch.

2 Likes

Watched it three times within one month last year, awesome movie indeed!

Last week watched Shazam : Fury of the Gods, it was alright but nowhere near as fun and enjoyable as the first one.

Today I saw 65, the sci-fi movie with Adam Driver. Also OK, nothing great.

2 Likes
1 Like

John Wick 4

Ah damn it man, I wanted to love this one, at least as much as 3. But I just don’t, unfortunately. Hard to put my finger on it, but I guess it’s the pacing at times for me, the action scenes are plenty but I liked them more in 3. For some reason I found the movie weirdly clean, I mean if you stab mofos left and right, shoot bullets into goons from close range too you’d expect suits to become bloodied, instead they all stay clean as hell, it looked off.

And I get it, this dude basically just can’t be killed, but at times it becomes too much, too ridiculous. At one point he lands on his back, I could swear I heard a crack and he just stands up and all is well. At so freaking many times do his enemies get the chance to just hit him, if not in limbs or stomach, then just the head, it’s becoming silly for me after a while. But that could just be me.

Thought some more about it and yeah, that’s my beef with the movie. John Wick never was a realistic movie, it was over the top but this goes way beyond over the top. It hurts the suspense since this dude is basically Superman at this point, not good. At least show he’s still vurnerable too, ya know.

2 Likes

I feel like a bit of quality has been lost with each movie but it seems I am ultra rare specimen with that thought >:3 (completely agree with how ridiculous has gotten) still, gonna watch them next week.

In other news…IS EVERYONE EXITED FOR THE NEW SAINT SEIYA MOVIEEEE!!!

Its probably with star wars the franchises that have been more hurt in history (Saint seiya is far more extreme though).

The new episode of Succession was hilarious. The interactions between Greg, Tom and Logan are gold.

Also, FYI Top Gun Maverick finally came to Amazon Prime. I’m going to watch it later this week.

Got back from Dungeons and Dragons and this is my surprise movie of the year so far.

Had seen the trailer a few times in the cinema and thought very little of it, I really doubted it would be any good. But then I watched a review by a channel I trust and I often agree with when it comes to movies and he liked it. Was enough for me to go check it out.

Genuinely funny, great acting, nice story and locations and even the CGI was good. This was a great adventure, super enjoyable. And again, some of the funny scenes were truly great, original too. And the group of people just work, very likeable.

1 Like

Watched the Tetris movie on Apple TV+ tonight. Very entertaining. I did some research after watching to try to figure out how “real” it was. Apparently all the stuff about the rights and the various parties scrambling to get them was pretty accurate. However, the movie appears to take quite a bit of creative license with some of the more “spy thriller” aspects of the story.

Anyway, it’s definitely worth a watch.

5 Likes

Rambo: First Blood

In the cinema just now.

Remains a classic, just an all around great movie. I don’t remember much from 2 and 3, but I could swear they aren’t early as good.

1 Like

Well looks like the Super Mario movie is mid. Fucking shame

Cant believe D&D’s managed to pull off a great movie while the mario one completely dropped the ball haha

I can… I was there for the first Mario movie… and the shows… and the terrible songs. Nintendo doesn’t know how to leverage their IP in film/TV and even if they did, Mario is hardly strong enough narratively to translate to screen.

I would agree if the Lego movie didn’t exist. That has a non existent narrative and they somehow made a great movie with it. However like you said Nintendo perhaps just doesn’t understand how to leverage its IP to film.

well the people behind the camera on D&D were stacked while Illumination always drops the ball, we just assumed that the Mario movie was going to be an exception.

Oh didn’t know it has people with talent behind. Just by looking at the trailers one could think it was just another marvel like movie but in a fantasy setting so I’m glad to see I was wrong.

Air

Basically about how Nike got Michael Jordan on board. Definitely a good movie, great acting too.

3 Likes

Top Gun Maverick was surprisingly decent. The story was only serviceable, but the action was 10/10.

2 Likes

Perfect review imo; I wanted to hate it, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy the new cast and action. Huge Miles Teller and Glen Powell fan, and the veterans - Jennifer Connelly, Val, Charles Parnell, etc. - were equally effective in their roles.

Side note: if you or anyone else hasn’t watch the documentary ‘Val’, I’d highly recommend it. Seeing Val now and having his son recount so much of his life is both endearing and heartbreaking.

4 Likes

Agreed on the casting. They also did a really great job explaining the mission with its handful of stages and various points of failure. You fully understand the “rules” and exactly what’s going on at all times. This just makes the action so much better.

The writers also didn’t need to kill off one of the pilots to build the tension or validate the dangers of the mission. With the large number of pilots, it would have been very easy to write in a training or combat death somewhere in the movie.

1 Like

So, yeah, Mario’s OW is going to be HUGE. It is making at least 32.5 million bucks tonight, on a Wednesday! Never bet against Illumination :laughing:.